Thread: trade the sedins?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default trade the sedins?

league details and team in sig. - salary cap league.

would you deal the sedins for crosby or ovechkin? straight up, or should i look for more?
    7 Team Salary Cap Keep 6 League - Points only
    (protect max 6, salary cap = $103.5million)
    FWD: G/A = 1pt, D: G=2pts, A=1pt, Goalie Win = 2pts, Shutout = 3pts
    Dress 4LW, 4C, 4RW, 6d-men, 2 goalies (max 6 bench spots)

LW - Benn (LW/C)
    C -
    RW - Kucherov, Ovechkin (LW/RW)
    D - Gostisbehere, Letang
    Goalie - Holtby

on the bubble: Galchenyuk (C/LW), T. Johnson (C), M. Reilly (D), Yandle (D), Doughty (D)

Dobber Sports Padawan

I would take crosby and ovy for the sedins any day, but salary may be an issue for you. if you can find a way to move a huge cap hit like Staal then it's a no brainer. Crosby and OV are primed to bounce back into the form that would prevent you from ever being given an offer like this
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I think the trade possibilities are Crosby OR Ovechkin.

For me the answer is no. Very reliable production and very favorable cap hits for the twins just make them so valuable in a league such as yours. If you take the production vs cap hit approach of evaluating either of these deals (a'la JHM), I don't think it's even close - I would expect a lot more sweetner in the deal.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Dont let 1 playoff series have you forget about Crosby's 6month layoff. Remember when nobody would touch him with a 10ft pole?

As for Ovechkin, I would hardly trade one Sedin for him. The Sedin's are like a fine wine, they just get better with age.

I've enjoyed owning the sedins for a couple years now. 2 time defending champ. I've also toyed with the idea of trading them but I always come back to one question! WHY?
    No for me
    8 teams. . Full keeper. 20 active 8 bench+ prospects
    Pts only. Win=3,SO=3

Sedin Vanek Coutoure
    Pavekski kesler spezza
    BRichards Gallagher Dupuis
    Skinner Desharnais Pacioretty
    Chara Edler
    OEL Boyle
    Hedman Markov
    Ward,Quick
    Atkinson,turris,Versteeg,Huberdeau,Schwartz,rEllis ,kipper,Elliot
    Backlund, granlund,Grigs,Loktionov, Stalock, schenn,coyle,Gardener,saad,Pulkinnen,Lehner,Jmorro ,

Dobber Sports Genius

In a straight points, cap league, with $60.0M cap hit there abouts, having Ovy and Crosby isn't necessarily the thing. It's all about points/$$$ ratio.

If you need 1000 points to win the pool, calling Crosby/Ovy $10.0M players over the long haul, at 100 points annually - six of Crosby/Ovy would use up the entire cap and only get you 600 points. Not nearly enough to win a pool.

15 Loui Eriksson's at $4.0M each x 70 points would get you 1,050 points.

30 Alex Burrows $2.0M x 50 points (I know you can't dress 30 guys) would get you 1500 points

20 Matt Moulson's at $3.0M each x 60 points would get you 1200 points

Yes, rookie contracts are super important. Guys like Desharnais, RNH, Duchene, Landeskog... Inexpensive blue lines. Super solid tenders that make good $$$, to justify your nets. I like $5.0M to $6.0M tenders with 60+ starts and threatening for 100 points (2 point wins, 3 point shut outs). They threaten to achieve ratio. (20 points per $1.0M of cap space).

In a $60M-ish cap pool, I'd be wary of Crosby, Ovy, Malkin. As the cap increases, they become more and more secure. When pools use multi-cat, this also stabilizes them out a whole bunch. They are at their least value in small cap/points only leagues.

I'd rather have $6.0M Sedin's and the other $8.0M of cap space to use elsewhere on my roster.

Dobber Sports Stud

Agree with (most) of the others here. I own both Sedins and they have been the engine that has carried me to my 3rd consecutive championship this year, which is not too shabby in a 24 team league. They are amazing value for $6.1 per. That all said, I often consider options for trading one of them, but so far haven't pulled the trigger.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Guru

I would trade either of the Sedins for Crosby.

First, Crosby is a free agent next year. It's possible he'll take a little less money to stay in Pittsburgh (much of this depends on the new CBA). If he goes to a new team though, he'll probably make more money. So his cap may decrease a little.

Second, I think Crosby is more than a 100-point player. If he can stay healthy, I can see him breaking 130, possibly 140.

And third, the Sedins are getting up there in age. They're about to turn 32 years old. You know how many players had 100 point seasons at the age of 32 or over? Only 10 (Gretzky, Esposito, Howe, Dionne, Jagr, Francis, Bucyk, Ratelle, Sakic and Alfredsson). I don't think the Sedins join the list. They'll stay consistent at about 80 points, but that will be about it.

So if the sedins are 80 point guys, and Crosby can be 130 point guy, then that 50 point swing is enough for the extra cap hit, IMO.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

got interest from one GM and was told that based on his perceived need for me to drop salary that he'd only consider one of either larson (NJD) or gardiner (TOR) straight up for daniel.

when i told him i'd only consider moving one of the sedins if seguin was involved, the reply was "You don't want to make a trade...you want someone to be bored and make a bad trade"

am i completely out to lunch here? the other GM has stamkos, seguin, pavelski and backes as his top scorers and finished in 7th.

just wanted to get some input as to whether or not i'm asking for too much, or if asking for seguin in return for d. sedin is me looking to fleece another owner.

LW - Benn (LW/C)
    C -
    D - Gostisbehere, Letang
    Goalie - Holtby

on the bubble: Galchenyuk (C/LW), T. Johnson (C), M. Reilly (D), Yandle (D), Doughty (D)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rabidprairiedog View Post
    got interest from one GM and was told that based on his perceived need for me to drop salary that he'd only consider one of either larson (NJD) or gardiner (TOR) straight up for daniel.

when i told him i'd only consider moving one of the sedins if seguin was involved, the reply was "You don't want to make a trade...you want someone to be bored and make a bad trade"

am i completely out to lunch here? the other GM has stamkos, seguin, pavelski and backes as his top scorers and finished in 7th.

just wanted to get some input as to whether or not i'm asking for too much, or if asking for seguin in return for d. sedin is me looking to fleece another owner.
    he is trying to take advantage of your need to get rid of salary

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    he is trying to take advantage of your need to get rid of salary
    Agreed. Don't be rushed into trading one and don't trade one unless you get a good return. These offers aren't near enough for a Sedin.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

will have to clear some cap space. but, will probably look more to staal and weber so i'm not desperate. i've got all offseason so i don't have to make any decisions for a while.

thanks for all the input.

LW - Benn (LW/C)
    C -
    D - Gostisbehere, Letang
    Goalie - Holtby

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by rabidprairiedog View Post
    will have to clear some cap space. but, will probably look more to staal and weber so i'm not desperate. i've got all offseason so i don't have to make any decisions for a while.

thanks for all the input.
    I've highlighted the most important point you yourself have made during this whole thread. Point is as others have said, don't rush into moving guys like the Sedins. Make sure you get a trade you are happy with.

As for the Seguin deal, as one of the other posters noted, looks like the GM is trying to take advantage of your need to move salary.

Best of luck.
    Dyn H2H (14 tm) - Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, Bench - 8, Farm - 20 (less than 100 GP) Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, TOI, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO