Thread: Vernon Wells Traded For Mike Napoli & Juan Rivera

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Vernon Wells Traded For Mike Napoli & Juan Rivera

Let's hear your comments about this trade. You know my stance on this trade as a Jays fan as posted in last night's rambling. Want to hear your thoughts, especially from the Angels fans view!

Dobber Sports Rookie

seems good to me for angels. Mike napoli has crap defense at catcher and he just swings for the fences cant hit for average. Rivera is a decent outfielder but he is injured prone. Getting wells will help the lineup and it could spark vernon to be the player he can be. Money is a non issue about 29 million will be off the books next year from rodney/kazmir/matthews jr. I would rather have vernon over crawford because he has no power and cant drive in the runs wells can and over werth because he has a better track record then him.

I'm not sure what to think. If I look at it from a stats perspective then I don't like the deal much for the Jays but this move wasn't about stats, it was about $$$ and from that perspective I'm excited. This gives the Jays the room they'll need in the coming years to put their rebuild into full effect. I'm pumped to see what Anthopoulous has up his sleeve. The bottom line is that getting rid of Wells horrible contract was a necessary evil for a team that doesn't have unlimited funds to spend and now we don't have to listen to the endless belly-aching over how brutal his contract is (I'm as guilty as everyone else).

Bring on the youth movement!!!

Dobber Sports Rookie

I agree, it was definitely necessary. For the Jays they pretty much get John Buck v 2.0 with more power. Defensively Buck wasn't exactly gold glove material either, but managed to call good games. That's the one thing I'm interested in seeing how Napoli handles the pitching staff.

For the Angels they possibly just formed one of the best defensive outfields in baseball, although I heard there's rumours Bourjos might shift to left to accomodate Wells. Either way the pitching staff gets a little bump in value.

Bring on the youth movement for the Jays and my hopes for Prince Fielder next year haha