Thread: Shawn Marcum to Milwaukee?

Dobber

Default Shawn Marcum to Milwaukee?

The Brewers got a jump on the Winter Meetings action Sunday night by acquiring starter Shaun Marcum from the Blue Jays, according to a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel report.

Marcum had impressive numbers for Toronto this season, going 13-8 with a 3.64 ERA in 31 starts after missing all of 2009 following elbow surgery. The Brewers reportedly are sending minor leaguers back to the Jays, including young infielder Brett Lawrie -- a British Columbia native. The Toronto Star reported another Canadian, right-hander Nick Bucci, might also be coming to the Jays in the deal.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/12/05/r...-shaun-marcum/

What do we know about Lawrie and Bucci?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I had a few buddies who played against Lawrie growing up - he is a stud at the plate.

Not sure where he projects in terms of a position.

This move on its own is a bit confusing, which leads me to believe that it is a precursor to something (Grienke?)

Dobber Sports Recruit

His defence at 2nd is being questioned to the point where there's speculation he'll end up in LF. That's all I've heard but I'm sure they can help him figure out how to play second base.

Bucci is no longer part of that deal.

This might not mean we go after Greinke. This could be a depth move for offense because our pitching goes pretty deep already. This is me assuming they don't think they can compete next season and trying to make sense of this. Maybe they couldn't agree on a long-term contract with Marcum and wanted to get the best value they could. I'm thinking his value is highest now because of his great season obviously, plus the fact that he's under team control through 2012 and it's gotta be tougher to get good value for a guy who's about to become a FA.

Or maybe they do still go after Greinke....but why trade away Halladay for a bunch of prospects only to flip them (and possibly more...I was reading Snider/Drabek/D'Arnaud/Hecchevaria!) for Greinke who's a FA in 2 years anyways and will most likely command huge cash!

Dobber Sports Rookie

There's a lot of stink mixed in with a lot of praise for this trade. The ones hating this trade seems to think AA is sending mixed messages on the direction this club is going. Folks, we traded Roy Halladay one year ago. If you actually think it takes one year to build a club then you must be a huge fan of the way the Toronto Maple Leafs are going right now.

I love Shaun Marcum. But anytime you can get a top 50 prospect for the cost of a #2 in the rebuilding years, than this is a good move.

Of course this could be as you say a precursor to a Greinke trade. The Royals did have discussions with the Brewers about a Greinke deal as well, so maybe Lawrie is or isn't included in this deal. The Royals do have Giavotella who is looking pretty good, but Lawrie has a higher ceiling. Of course, maybe the Jays ask for another player added like Alex Gordon, or Kila Ka'aihue to address their first base needs.

As for Lawrie, he's a 20/30 guy with a shot at 30/30. He does struggle defensively at second base but this is also his second year as a second baseman (previously a catcher). Also playing against older competition.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Toronto only traded Halladay because he made it clear that he wouldn't play there anymore when his contract expired so it made sense to get something for him.

I'm a HUGE Greinke fan, however, I think if the Jays move a package containing Drabek and Snider it will be a HUGE mistake. I do agree with you Kiang that if they're committed to a rebuild, it would be a step backwards moving those guys.

I wouldn't be that opposed to seeing Hill or Lind go though....anyways I'm interested to see how this all plays out.