Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Norris Finalists Announced

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I wouldn't put anyone else near these three.
    Do you mean for this season or in general because I think Letang is right up there with those guys. Letang had 42 points in 52 games which is .824 PPG or 68 points over 82 games. Add to that the fact that Letang is just as good defensively as he is offensively and I'd say he's best defenseman in the league. If it wasn't for injury Letang would be everyone's favorite to win the Norris this season (except for the people who always contradict the consensus but there's no hope for those guys). Sorry I've been waiting for the past 4 months to say that.

I think it will be Karlsson. He just tore up the league this season. Almost PPG, that's absurd. I do however think that it is Weber's turn for a Norris and some of the arguments made on this thread have convinced me that he deserves it.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bigmamadog317 View Post
    Do you mean for this season or in general because I think Letang is right up there with those guys. Letang had 42 points in 52 games which is .824 PPG or 68 points over 82 games. Add to that the fact that Letang is just as good defensively as he is offensively and I'd say he's best defenseman in the league. If it wasn't for injury Letang would be everyone's favorite to win the Norris this season (except for the people who always contradict the consensus but there's no hope for those guys).
    This is a Norris trophy thread which is a trophy given once per SEASON. Letang could win the Norris in future seasons but not this one.

Sorry I've been waiting for the past 4 months to say that.
    Congrats.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

This is a Norris trophy thread which is a trophy given once per SEASON. Letang could win the Norris in future seasons but not this one.
    I think that Letang is up there this season. Top 5. Only reason he isn't is that he missed games so I guess it just depends on how much weight you put on his missed games. And the fact that the Pens struggled without him strengthens his position with them in my opinion.

I don't want to argue so if you disagree than I guess you win.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Karlsson has been tremendous but my vote goes to Chara. Karlsson gets more offensive zone starts and faces weaker competition than the majority of d-men in the league (though mainly offensive zone starts).

Dobber Sports Ninja

Usually if the point differential is somewhat close, then they give it to the best defender, but this season Karlsson just blew away the competition in the points department.

The ridiculous point differential between Karlsson and the rest of the field will make make him the easy winner IMO.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Like I said... Karlsson is awesome but his offensive zone start % is just flat out ridiculous. He's hardly even used as a defenceman.

Banned

truth is, the whole debate is kind of pointless. to say that chara was better weber this year is laughable.... but so is saying weber had a better year than chara. it all lies in the eyes of the beholder. i could throw a handful of other names in there too... pietrangelo, lidstrom, letang when he was healthy.... these guys are all great number one d-men who had equally great seasons doing their jobs for their respective teams. how can you conclusively prove who was better - you can't.... same goes for most of the other nhl awards... ie. prove to me that king henry was better than johnny q.... overrated and really meaningless. its entertainment, no more. have fun guessing, but it is all just for show.

Banned

the only other thing that i will say is, as great as chara and weber were this season, their seasons happen every year. every single year in the nhl, a number of top defenceman have seasons exactly as impressive, with similar numbers as these two did this year. others had similar seasons this year... not to say they weren't great, just not uncommon...

but, what karlsson did this year... well, that doesn't happen every year. not even close.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bigmamadog317 View Post
    I think that Letang is up there this season. Top 5. Only reason he isn't is that he missed games so I guess it just depends on how much weight you put on his missed games. And the fact that the Pens struggled without him strengthens his position with them in my opinion.
    Letang missed way too many games this year to be even in the top-5 in votes for Norris.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    truth is, the whole debate is kind of pointless. to say that chara was better weber this year is laughable.... but so is saying weber had a better year than chara. it all lies in the eyes of the beholder. i could throw a handful of other names in there too... pietrangelo, lidstrom, letang when he was healthy.... these guys are all great number one d-men who had equally great seasons doing their jobs for their respective teams. how can you conclusively prove who was better - you can't.... same goes for most of the other nhl awards... ie. prove to me that king henry was better than johnny q.... overrated and really meaningless. its entertainment, no more. have fun guessing, but it is all just for show.
    Prove to me the image in your sig.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Only read the last page, but is Karlsson the consensus winner?

Banned

Prove to me the image in your sig.
    disprove it to me....

actually, on second thought, don't bother...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    disprove it to me....

actually, on second thought, don't bother...
    You're the one who said he was the best after Christmas, only to later say we can't prove anything. Just trying to get clarification...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Only read the last page, but is Karlsson the consensus winner?
    It's still up for debate over the two-way player vs the superior offensive player. I personally think it will be Karlsson but a dman's first job is to prevent goals so the people rooting for Weber or Chara make a good case too.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Offense is the best defense, eh?
    Yeah, but in Karlsson's case he didn't really improve that much defensively, but he was instead protected pretty well from situations that would expose him.