Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: giroux or OV

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default giroux or OV

Who do you like better with these stats G A PIM +/- SOG Hits Blocks SHP PPP

Keep 7 (LW C RW D G 2Extra) 20 team H2H

And by how much do you like them better, i.e significant gap, small gap, etc.
    12 team h2h keep 5 + 1 goalie
    *2012-2013 & 2013-2014 Champ
    G A PIM +/- hits SOG PPP
    c-Tavares, Mackinnon Eichel
    rw-Seguin, Tarasenko
    d-Josi
    g-Schneider

Dobber Sports Ninja

This is actually a really tough one, especially now that Giroux is well ahead Ovie in a points-only keeper in my books.

Having said that, given the SOG, Hits and LW eligibility, I've still gotta give it to Ovie in this format. I think even if he's an 80 point guy and Giroux's a 100 point guy, Ovie will score higher in this format.

Dobber Sports Monster

Giroux will most likely win in points, however you have to believe Ovechkin will produce better point totals next year. In saying that, Ovechkin will beat out Giroux in most all other categories, so if he closes the gap in the point dept I feel OV is the better option here. Either way you go definitely a nice problem to have

thanks guys now is the gap between them large enough to justify trading down from 8th in a draft including anyone not played a game in the nhl yet (tarasenko, yakupov, kuz, granlund all eligible) down to the 25th?

I personally feel (giroux owner) that i can not do that big of a gap because at 8 i can get a ppg player/prospect and i dont expect to compete this year or next (aiming for 3rd year). LW is a huge weakness for me so i would love to pull the trigger, but i want to see if the consensus feels the same as me, or am i blinded by propsects? I also own the 6th, 24th, 37th picks in the top 40 and its 5 rds.
    G A PIM +/- hits SOG PPP
    rw-Seguin, Tarasenko
    d-Josi
    g-Schneider

Dobber Sports Ninja

What does your roster look like? If you traded Giroux, who would be your C? Who's currently your LW?

Overall, in that format, I think Ovie just dominates - it especially makes sense if your thin on LW and strong at C.

Going from 8th to 25th isn't that big of a loss in my books. The odds of getting a PPG player outside of the top 3 are very low.

LW- was lucic/E.kane/Prust before the giroux deal

NOW= Prust/Rinaldo/Nyquist (praying to buddha/god/allah/zeus anyone who will listen) that nyquist gets LW eligibility, read he played some time there as well as center, but in top 6 in detroit i see him on the wing anyways.

C=Tavares, Beglund, Brassard, Giroux, Adam

RW=Radulov/Stewart/hemsky/Caron

D=Pietrangelo/Smith/Niktin/Niskanen/Gorges/Grossman

G=Rask/Markstrom

not enough to compete yet due to goalies being too young still, Radulov maybe being gone next year and then returning, looking likely he may stay tho, seems to have transitioned really well and thriving in Nashville. Also hoping Smith matures and pietrangelo some more. Same goes for Tavares.. i drafted 20th so i knew going in it would be building for the future.
    G A PIM +/- hits SOG PPP
    rw-Seguin, Tarasenko
    d-Josi
    g-Schneider

Dobber Sports Immortal

Ovechkin for me. Have to think he's eventually going to bounce back from this stretch. Plus when you factor in hits and SOG it gives him a boost.

Dobber Sports Ninja

You traded Lucic and E.Kane for Giroux? Not sure I would've made that trade in your format

In either case, given your roster, I would definitely trade Giroux + pick for Ovie. Your LW is pretty sad.

Dobber Sports Initiate

With these cats I don't even think it's close, Giroux will get you no PIM, or HITS and ove will also beat him on points and PPP every season. This Giroux hype is getting out of hand, he is good but not anywhere near ovechkin.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Edmonton Roadrunners

C(3): Tavares, Couture, Girgensons
    LW(3): Helm, Ott, Soderberg
    RW(3): Ryan, Gallagher, Simmonds
    F(3): Hemsky, Paquette, Markus Granlund
    D(6): OEL, Gudas, Johnson, Savard, Quincey, Wideman
    G(1): Halak, Smith, Lindback
    Bench: Stoll, Stajan, Mckenzie, Pulkkinen

Prospects(10): Straka, Chartier, Crouse, EK Eriksson, Tuch, Koekkoek, Max Reinhart, Zboril, Bibeau, Jarry

RIP- Phil Philthy Animal Taylor- September 21, 1954-November 11, 2015.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post

With these cats I don't even think it's close, Giroux will get you no PIM, or HITS and ove will also beat him on points and PPP every season. This Giroux hype is getting out of hand, he is good but not anywhere near ovechkin.
    Hahaha just read above man. Your stats are the same as the ones posted for this thread. Hopefully you two aren't trading with each other.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Giroux will get you no PIM, or HITS and ove will also beat him on points and PPP every season. This Giroux hype is getting out of hand, he is good but not anywhere near ovechkin.
    Which league have you been watching?

I did it to consolidate talent for the keep 7, i was a top 10 team not a top 5, and giroux was made available. Everyone on here loved the deal and said dont look back. Knew if i got giroux i could have a shot at stammer/ovie/crosby/malkin and still keep tavares. Stammer owner wanted TAVARES + GIROUX + 1st rd pick I LOL'd hard when i got his return offer.

Ovie owner was willing to listen to offers and this was a counter. I countered back with my 8th/24th for his 16th/25th, no one will even move their 1st picks anymore because of the talent available so top 10's hold a ton of value right now.
    G A PIM +/- hits SOG PPP
    rw-Seguin, Tarasenko
    d-Josi
    g-Schneider

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm not going to try and make the argument that OV is not as valuable as Giroux in your format. Obviously OV has the potential to consistently outscore and outpoint yadayadayada Giroux. However, I made a move in my league this year that sent Kovalchuk for Kesler because of Kesler's ability to put up numbers in multiple categories. That has not turned out to be the best move, and now I'm in a position where I am actually considering moving Kesler out so that I can keep guys like Couture next year. Whereas I would have never thought to keep Couture over Kovalchuk (even last year when Kovalchuk had a mediocre season).
    Enough with my issues, what I'm trying to say is that don't forget that goals and assists are almost always the most important stats in fantasy hockey, and even if a player is not contributing as well as you'd like in other cats, emphasis should be placed on acquiring players that put up the big points. If they put up the points, they get more opportunity to put up the other stats as well as they usually play big minutes, and are leaned on in OT situations for GWG etc.
    In summary, after all the rambling, although Giroux might not put up some numbers you might get with OV, I think Giroux is the much stronger overall player right now and he's going to a beast in fantasy for years to come. I'm worried about OV, and all signs point to Washington continuing to play a more conservative game...whereas Philly obviously is looking more run and gun, especially if Bryz keeps this up. But given your statistical categories, OV is probably still the better choice, but I don't know by how much.

Food for thought...and I'm a huge Giroux fan and not at all an OV fan so I'm definitely biased
    16-team Keeper, Keep 7
    Cats: G, A, P, +/-, BS, PIM, PPG, PPA, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Giroux (RW), Shore, Fisher, Schwartz
    LW: Couture (C), Benn (C), Killorn (C), Malone
    RW: Yakupov, Voracek, Clowe (LW), Downie (LW), Vrbata, Hornqvist, Callahan
    D: Schultz, Gudas, Gardiner, Kindl, Trouba, Ballard
    G: Rask, Emery, Lehner, Lack

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Which league have you been watching?
    Funny that you ask that question, and you picked Ove for this format on the post earlier.
    WHL - World Hockey League (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.5), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Edmonton Roadrunners

C(3): Tavares, Couture, Girgensons
    LW(3): Helm, Ott, Soderberg
    RW(3): Ryan, Gallagher, Simmonds
    F(3): Hemsky, Paquette, Markus Granlund
    D(6): OEL, Gudas, Johnson, Savard, Quincey, Wideman
    G(1): Halak, Smith, Lindback
    Bench: Stoll, Stajan, Mckenzie, Pulkkinen

Prospects(10): Straka, Chartier, Crouse, EK Eriksson, Tuch, Koekkoek, Max Reinhart, Zboril, Bibeau, Jarry

RIP- Phil Philthy Animal Taylor- September 21, 1954-November 11, 2015.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Funny that you ask that question, and you picked Ove for this format on the post earlier.
    Picking Ovie in a certain format that is advantageous to him is one thing....

Claiming "ove will also beat him on points and PPP every season" (you do realize Giroux led the league in PPP this season right?)... "he is good but not anywhere near ovechkin" is a completely different story.

In points only I would take Giroux over Ovie without any hesitation, as I already mentioned in my original response.
    Last edited by blayze; April 22, 2012 at 2:04 PM.