Thread: Carey Price: Worth holding in a Keep-5 on a stacked team?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Carey Price: Worth holding in a Keep-5 on a stacked team?

Hey y'all! Details about league scoring are in my signature.

Here is how my top 10 performers are producing. I've shown last year's and this year's totals to show league range and fluctuations:
    (For reference, Malkin and Stamkos both currently have 234 points and Lundqvist has 231 points.)
    ------------ 2011//2012
    Tavares ---- 165 - 177
    Callahan --- 159 - 174
    Parise ------ 20 - 168
    Pacioretty -- 73 - 162
    Lehtonen --- 137 - 162
    Moulson ---- 161 - 159
    Benn ------- 149 - 148
    Kesler ----- 230 - 145
    Hall ------- 120 - 142
    Price ------ 213 - 113

I'm concerned that the Habs won't be able to fix their problems by next season and although Price is elite, his value has been almost cut in half this season.

Is he worth leaving one of my franchise forwards behind? And while we're here, where does Lehtonen fall into the mix?
    12-Team H2H Weekly Total Points,F-10,D-4,G-2,Bench-4. Keep any 5.
    [G3..A1..SHG+1..SHA+1..BLK.3..HIT.1..SOG.1..FOW.01]
    [Win3..SV.3..GA-3]
    F - Tavares, MacKinnon, Duchene, Eichel, Okposo, E. Kane[IR], Dubinsky[IR], Larkin, Ehlers, Yakupov, Voracek, Foligno, Ennis, Draisaitl, Nelson
    D - Carlson, Giordano, E. Johnson, Krug
    G - Price[IR], Rask, Raanta

Dobber Sports Stud

In a limited keeper..keep 5. Must keep the best multi cat players.

1. Tavares
    2. Parise
    3. Getzlaf
    4. Kesler or Callahan
    5. Duchene or Benn

With your league settings - start 2 Goalies, ideally, keep an elite G. Price is an elite G with everything w/in his grabs to flourish. But the situation he is in w/ MTL, inhibits him from being consistent. Their backend needs improving and maturing before his elite status reflects his numbers. With that said, id leave the goalies off the 5 keepers and go forward w/ the studs.
    Fantasy Hockey Keeper Leagues
    {Linden Cup Year 9: 16 GM Points only - Hockeydraft} "Back 2 Back Champions!"
    {TBIM Year 3: 18 GM H2H - Fantrax}
    {NFHA II Inaugural Year 1: 20 GM Roto Salary cap- Fantrax}
    {ZFHL Year 1: 30 GM Roto Salary cap - Fantrax}
    {NHDL Year 1: 16 GM H2H - Fantrax}

Banned

the Habs are nowhere near the team that their record suggests, this year was a complete collapse, they'll shake things up in the offseason, buyout Gomez's useless ass and build on some of those quality young players like Pacioretty, LeBlanc, Desharnais, they should be vastly improved next year with a fresh start.

Now that said, in a keep 5 you might well be wise to drop Price and target him for redraft. His numbers are actually quite remarkable considering how poorly the team has performed this year (2.44 GAA and .916 S% with 4SO) but that crappy win total is killing his value this year. The reality though is that he is one of the best young goalies in the league so try to make sure he's on your team, my suspicion is that you can dump him no problem, he will be dramatically undervalued in your redraft due to his poor value in your format this year so he won't be on most people's radar, I would guess you could redraft him quite easily on the cheap. Meanwhile keep the studs
    Last edited by mister_mcgoo; March 24, 2012 at 9:41 PM. Reason: fixed weird characters in my post I never noticed

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by pretsel27 View Post
    In a limited keeper..keep 5. Must keep the best multi cat players.

1. Tavares
    2. Parise
    3. Getzlaf
    4. Kesler or Callahan
    5. Duchene or Benn

With your league settings - start 2 Goalies, ideally, keep an elite G. Price is an elite G with everything w/in his grabs to flourish. But the situation he is in w/ MTL, inhibits him from being consistent. Their backend needs improving and maturing before his elite status reflects his numbers. With that said, id leave the goalies off the 5 keepers and go forward w/ the studs.
    I still have a lot of work to do to figure out what forwards I'm keeping, but what you said about goalies is true. I'm not sure I'm prepared to sit on Price for 1-3 crappy years in order to benefit later. I'm not really thrilled about the Stars either...

However, I must consider what goalies might be available in the draft. I'll figure that out and return.
    [Win3..SV.3..GA-3]
    F - Tavares, MacKinnon, Duchene, Eichel, Okposo, E. Kane[IR], Dubinsky[IR], Larkin, Ehlers, Yakupov, Voracek, Foligno, Ennis, Draisaitl, Nelson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    the Habs are nowhere near the team that their record suggests, this year was a complete collapse, they'll shake things up in the offseason, buyout Gomez's useless ass and build on some of those quality young players like Pacioretty, LeBlanc, Desharnais, they should be vastly improved next year with a fresh start.

Now that ll said, in a keep 5 you might well be wise to drop Price and target him for redraft. His numbers are actually quite remarkable considering how poorly the team has performed this year (2.44 GAA and .916 S% with 4SO) but that crappy win total is killing his value this year. The reality though is that he is one of the best young goalies in the league so try to make sure he's on your team, my suspicion is that you can dump him no problem, he will be dramatically undervalued in your redraft due to his poor value in your format this year so he won't be on most people's radar, I would guess you could redraft him quite easily on the cheap. Meanwhile keep the studs
    Luckily, I don't have to finalize my keepers until later in the offseason, so I can see what kinds of activity Montreal has and then determine what ballpark we're talking about.

You seem pretty optimistic. You're not a Habs fan are you?
    Last edited by hockeyplayer168; March 23, 2012 at 8:50 PM.
    [Win3..SV.3..GA-3]

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyplayer168 View Post
    Luckily, I don't have to finalize my keepers until later in the offseason, so I can see what kinds of activity Montreal has and then determine what ballpark we're talking about.

You seem pretty optimistic. You're not a Habs fan are you?
    no i'm definitely a Habs fan but I don't think anyone on these forums will disagree with me in saying that they beleived the Habs woud 'at least' be in the playoff hunt come this time of year. The team was essentially unchanged from teams that made the playoffs and did quite well the past couple years so it was very odd to see them fall apart this year...I agree you should use your time in the offseason to see what they do...Gomez needs to disappear, he is a pox to that entire team, they should just eat his salary and bury the useless **** in the minors, I've never been so disappointed in a player in my entire life. He used to have unsung 2-way value because of his back-checking and defensive zone play but now he sucks even at that and is an embarassment to the league and his franchise, he needs to just vanish. The loss of Gil hurts but they finally have Markov back and playing...I'm praying he stays healthy and rehabs hard in the offseason because he can make them so much better from the backend if he can play a full year (or close to it), he also makes Subban so much better and free-er to do his thing.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Neither Price or Lehtonen are good enough in a 12-team, keep 5.

Tavares
    Parise
    Callahan
    Benn
    Hall

*Also, consider finding the Eberle owner and offering him Hall. Just to find out if he's interested.