Thread: Ben Bishop vs Robin Lehner. Whose Ottawa's future?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Ben Bishop vs Robin Lehner. Whose Ottawa's future?

To be honest the games ive seen Bishop play, despite his record, he hasnt really impressed me. Big and full of bulky equiptment but slow and awkward at times.

Love to hear your comments Justin

Dobber Sports Padawan

Lehner is the future here. He is younger and has a more impressive pedigree and likely higher upside. However, if Bishop puts together consistent strong play, he can be the #1 next season and perhaps even the season after.
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't think the acquisition of bishop makes much of a difference at all in the senators long term plans.

They needed a goalie that could shoulder a larger workload with Anderson out and clearly auld wasn't the guy. They probably don't want to put a ton of pressure on Lehner right now either.

Acquiring bishop and giving him this shot opens some doors for the organization though as they could potentially flip him next season or trade Anderson if they figure bishop is ready to hold the fort until Lehner is ready.

My two cent
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    I don't think the acquisition of bishop makes much of a difference at all in the senators long term plans.

They needed a goalie that could shoulder a larger workload with Anderson out and clearly auld wasn't the guy. They probably don't want to put a ton of pressure on Lehner right now either.

Acquiring bishop and giving him this shot opens some doors for the organization though as they could potentially flip him next season or trade Anderson if they figure bishop is ready to hold the fort until Lehner is ready.

My two cent
    Good post. Ottawa knows Lehner is a couple of seasons away from being a full time starter, so Bishop is a stop-gap, most likely.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Banned

I think Lehner could start right now. Bishop has earned his dues but Lehner looked better in his brief callup.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I think Lehner could start right now. Bishop has earned his dues but Lehner looked better in his brief callup.
    This.
    Lehner really impressed me when he made his starts. I was surprised they sent him down when they did, actually. Bishop is an awesome goalie as well. It's kind of a hard prediction to make, tbh.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Goaltender View Post
    This.
    Lehner really impressed me when he made his starts. I was surprised they sent him down when they did, actually. Bishop is an awesome goalie as well. It's kind of a hard prediction to make, tbh.
    Bishop earned these starts, he's done with the AHL (too good for that league). He hasn't been bad in his first real stint of NHL action in a new org. They wanted both guys to be playing, not sitting, so Lehner is getting the bulk of the AHL starts.

Bishop will have an edge in next year's camp because of his one-way deal but Lehner can still come in and steal the backup job from him. Lehner IMO is the better goalie prospect and will get the job one day, so Anderson and Bishop may be used as trade bait down the road. Right now though, they need all 3 for competition purposes.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    This is exactly what i mean. i have the feeling they dont want to rush Lehner and protect him from the pressure this time of year brings.

Nice thoughts though