Thread: M Brodeur vs M Smith

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default M Brodeur vs M Smith

I have the (rare) opportunity to drop Martin Brodeur and (possibly) pick up Mike Smith this week, if none of the 10 teams below me claim him.

Goalie points is where I can make up some ground on number 1 - I'm number 2 overall.

Rotissary/keeper/auction - $55.00

Categories are G (1st), A (1st), PIM (close 3rd), Sp Goals (1pp+2SHG) (1st), +/- (8th), GOALIE PTS (2 win, 1otl/sol, +2 Shutout)

Goalie pts are as follows:
    1st 145
    T2nd 142
    T2nd 142 (the team right above me in overall standings)
    4th 136
    T5th 134 (Me)
    T5th 134
    7th 131
    8th 130
    9th 116
    10th 97
    11th 80

So... would you drop Martin Brodeur and pick up Mike Smith considering SV%, GGA, Saves etc... don't make any difference?

Only Wins and Shutouts

Any advice would be appreciated, as usual.

Im don't really know enough about goalies to comment, so I'll leave rep to all that I can who reply.

If you have any other questions, point me to them, and I'll try to leave a reply.

Thanks

Super Moderator

Smith is not playing great as of late and Brodeur's picked it up so for that reason I'd stick with Brodeur. I just don't see Smith out-winning Brodeur till the end of the season.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Thank you for that.

I don't know. Brodeur's advanced age means he'll be given more days off than Smith.

And though I know that Phx has had a rough go lately, I have consistantly questioned whether there are better options out there.

And Smith IS available this week.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

short-term (this season), I still like Brodeur simply b/c the team is winning and HE has NOT been given many nights off. Now the length of your season may play in b/c New Jersey is more likely to lock a playoff spot up sooner.

HOWEVER, Smith is worth GREATER consideration as a keeper. So if you don't have enough keepers for next year, you WILL want to go that way.
    CCRWRWLWLWFWDDDDUGG (4 bench; 2 IR)

Yahoo Head 2 Head; 2 Keepers
    (G),(A), (+/-), (PIM),(PPP),(SHP),(GWG),(SOG), (FW), (W), (GAA), (SV%), (SHO)

I agree with the above poster. If you are in a keeper I suggest you make the move simply because Brodeur is old like a raisin and won't maintain starter status. If you are in a one-year, I would advise you to keep Brodeur. Keeping him will benefit you simply because Kovalchuk and company are on fire. You have 2 amazing lines in Kovi-Henrique-Parise and Elias-Clarkson on second line. NJ is winning games. Smith is no slouch either and when the team scores they win.

If you are willing to take risks, Smith has more upside because he can bank you shutouts simply for the fact that Tippett's system forces them to play D before offense. It's a lot harder to score on Smith then Brodeur so you will prosper in Shutouts. If you can catch up with just wins then just keep what you have man. If your team ain't broken, don't try to fix it. Your other option is to look at dropping a different goalie because Brodeur isn't exactly doing bad right now.
    One year league:
    G 1 A 1 +/- 0.5 PIM 0.5 PPP 1 SHP 2 ||W 5 L -2 GA -.25 SHO 5

C Marleau(C, LW) / J. Staal(C, LW)
    LW Hall / Eriksson(LW, RW)
    RW Selanne / Malkin(C, RW)
    D Giordano / D. Boyle / Enstrom / Timonen
    Util Ott(C, LW)
    G Fleury / Ward
    BN Varlamov / Hiller / Downie(LW, RW) / Purcell
    IR

Thanks a lot guys.

Yes, it is a keeper, but we can only keep one goalie and I already have Quick to a fairly low salary, so he is the keeper for me.

I keep going back and forth on it.

The guy in first (now second!) has Howard, and will probably make it a moot point by picking Smith back up today anyway. Or maybe someone else will pick Smith up.