Thread: Experts on goalie start!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Experts on goalie start!

I need your expertise on a matchup.

I have Hiller vs Quick tomorrow and I believe the game is at LA.
    Should I play hiller on a b2b against the team that is leading the series 3-1?

I could also change it up and play Cam Ward instead against the TB lightnings but they have been red hot lately. Please help! I also have MAF playing against avs and I am definitely starting him tonight.

Thanks for the expertise guys really appreciate it!
    One year league:
    G 1 A 1 +/- 0.5 PIM 0.5 PPP 1 SHP 2 ||W 5 L -2 GA -.25 SHO 5

C Marleau(C, LW) / J. Staal(C, LW)
    LW Hall / Eriksson(LW, RW)
    RW Selanne / Malkin(C, RW)
    D Giordano / D. Boyle / Enstrom / Timonen
    Util Ott(C, LW)
    G Fleury / Ward
    BN Varlamov / Hiller / Downie(LW, RW) / Purcell
    IR

The Wolverine

I'm no expert but I think I'd go with Hiller.

The series matchup doesn't concern me, as a 3-1 record is too small a sample to guarantee anything. What I look for is 1) who's playing better and if the same 2) who can likely keep the goals down based on the opposition's recent play or likely threat. In my opinion, Hiller is the better option for both reasons. Ward has just returned from injury and isn't on top form yet, whereas Hiller has been great for much of the last few weeks. Include TB's offensive threat (more than LA) and it makes the decision easier.

Now watch it backfire!

I'm wary to start my goalies. The sole reason why I am so cautious on starting my goalies is because for losses, we get minus points and that sets me back as I am in first place right now for my pool.

For goalie categories,
    Wins are 5 points
    Losses are -2 points
    Goals against are -0.25 each goal given up
    Shut Out are 5 points

So as you can see, I can't afford to have any losses. So far the series count don't lie. I have yet to see an upset for those statistics and even though LA is not a scoring threat, they are no push over either and are harder to score on than last night's Calgary Flames. If you were in my shoes would you even bother playing Hiller? If i play it safe and Hiller loses, i get no points deducted but if I don't play him and he wins i lose out on points added. Is the risk worth taking in my first place position status?
    One year league:

Util Ott(C, LW)
    G Fleury / Ward
    IR

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah bench him. Jeff Carter is going to get the hat trick against him.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Jigglez87 View Post
    I'm wary to start my goalies. The sole reason why I am so cautious on starting my goalies is because for losses, we get minus points and that sets me back as I am in first place right now for my pool.

For goalie categories,
    Wins are 5 points
    Losses are -2 points
    Goals against are -0.25 each goal given up
    Shut Out are 5 points

So as you can see, I can't afford to have any losses. So far the series count don't lie. I have yet to see an upset for those statistics and even though LA is not a scoring threat, they are no push over either and are harder to score on than last night's Calgary Flames. If you were in my shoes would you even bother playing Hiller? If i play it safe and Hiller loses, i get no points deducted but if I don't play him and he wins i lose out on points added. Is the risk worth taking in my first place position status?
    All of those games occurred before the team and Hiller turned it around, so you need to consider this factor as well. As for the bolded comment, you may not get points deducted but you lose out on points for a win, and that's more to gain than how much you would lose if he lost. There's always another side.

I'd rather play someone who's playing well than risk benching a good start. With your settings, you are taking a chance at a loss every time you start a goalie.

I could be wrong, but this is my opinion. I'm not telling you what to do; it's your choice and your gut call.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Yeah bench him. Jeff Carter is going to get the hat trick against him.
    Prediction or wishful thinking?

Thanks Horror! You convinced me to start Hiller. No point being in the lead if I don't play my players right? Haha
    One year league:

Util Ott(C, LW)
    G Fleury / Ward
    IR

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Jigglez87 View Post
    Thanks Horror! You convinced me to start Hiller. No point being in the lead if I don't play my players right? Haha
    I really hope he doesn't disappoint! Good luck!

Oh and I also have him in my roto league, so it's really important that he wins.

Dobber Sports Stud

I think you should start Hiller. Quick hasn't been really amazing the last few games. In the last 4, he had one shut out but let in a total of 9 goals in the other 3. Also, he has solid but not amazing career numbers against ANH. 9-5-2, 2.48 and .906 against ANH. Hiller is only 7-6-2 but with a 2.28 and .925 against LAK. LAK hasn't really been a powerhouse in offence this year anyway. They did score 4 goals the last game so not saying thats not going to happen against but odds are that ANH has a good chance of winning this one.

Definitely bench Ward in my opinion. TB top line is playing lights out and they put 4 against most probably this seasons Vezina winner last night. I wouldn't start any goalie against them right now.
    8 Team Yahoo Weekly H2H (1yr)
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 1Util, 2G, 4BN, 3IR
    G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, L, GA, GAA, SV, SA, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Eric Staal, Getzlaf, Ribeiro
    LW: Lupul (LW,RW), Hartnell, Elias (C,LW), Cammalleri (C,LW), Ott (C,LW)
    RW: Malkin (C,RW), Backes (C,RW), Seguin (C,RW), Callahan
    D: Pietrangelo, Ekman-Larsson, Subban, Bouwmeester, Streit, Burns (D,RW), Wisniewski
    G: Rask, Backstrom, Bobrovsky
    IR: Spezza (C), Oshie (C,RW)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

You should have started Nabokov I guess - go figure.