Thread: Deadline Deal - Crawford for 2nd rounder / who to pick up on WW ?

Dobber Sports Novice

Question Deadline Deal - Crawford for 2nd rounder / who to pick up on WW ?

Hi everybody,

I am probably going to make the playoffs as 8th in my league but might be smashed in the first round against the top seeded team. I am thinking about trading Corey Crawford for a second rounder. I then could keep Lundi and Schneider.

I am looking for a goalie on the waiver wire with possible number one status next year. Guys on the WW include Bernier, Markström, Harding, etc. I was thinking about picking up Harding as he becomes UFA next season and probably is going to look for a team which gives him a clear shot at handling starting goalie's duties. Or would you rather prefer a guy like Bernier and Markström who have the higher ceiling ? Is Bernier likely be dealt in the offseason ? How long might Markström need to become 1st starter with the Panthers ?

Thx for the insight and cheers,
    Doc

Yahoo 12 Team H2H Keeper League. (11 Keepers, 9 C/RW/LW/D + 2 G) - Year 7
    3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2UTIL 2G 5 BE 2 IR.
    G,A,P,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,SH%,FW,HIT; W,GAA,SV,SV%,SO.

Team: Mannhyme Mobsters
    (C) Zetterberg (LW), Oshie (RW), Stepan, Desharnais
    (LW) Couture (C), Pacioretty, Ennis (C), Bärtschi
    (RW) Seguin (C), Wheeler, Okposo, Johansen (C)
    (D) Shattenkirk, Goligoski, OEL, Carle, Kronwall, B. Smith
    (G) Lundqvist, Backstrom, Schneider

Draft Picks 2012: Round 2,3,3,3,4,5,5,6,9,10

Dobber Sports Ninja

If you can turn Crawford into a second rounder and he won't be a keeper for you anyway then yeah I'd do it. I'd look to shop him around more though to see if there's another team that might need goaltending more desperately from which you may be able to pry a first rounder or something.

As far as guys on the WW I'd go out and grab Markstrom. I have a feeling like he'll be platooning with Theodore next year (or at least feel that he should be) and could potentially steal starts and take over the starting job next season if Theodore is traded at the deadline (I have a feeling his expiring cheap contract will be very tempting to teams looking for an adequate backup)

Welcome to the boards, sorry that it took so long to approve all of your posts!

Dobber Sports Immortal

Welcome to the boards.

Based on what we know right now, I like Markstrom's chances of being a starter by mid way through next season. Clemmensen is a UFA at year end so I can't see them keeping him around while already having Theodore and Markstrom. He also does have the highest upside out of all three.

The other two goalies situations are really up in the air. Will the likely land on another team? Well Id say Harding is more likely than Bernier just because he is a UFA. But even in that case I can't see him being given that flat out #1 goalie position because he has struggled this year.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thx for the nice welcome !
    @bOndon: Don't worry about the late post approvement, as I am a couple of hours in advance of you guys, I don't expect anyone to do the post approvement at 4 a.m. in the morning.

Meanwhile, there is a new situation: I would be able to swap Crawford + 8th Rounder for Antti Niemi + 5th rounder.

Both have had their struggles during this season, both play for short- to midterm cup run potential teams, Crawford may be a couple of years younger but I have the feeling that the Hawks might sign an UFA like Harding beginning of next season. Niemi seems to be the clearer starter play for the Sharks in the next two years, I have the feeling. Any thoughts on that one ?

Thx in advance and best regards,
    Doc

Yahoo 12 Team H2H Keeper League. (11 Keepers, 9 C/RW/LW/D + 2 G) - Year 7
    3C 3LW 3RW 5D 2UTIL 2G 5 BE 2 IR.
    G,A,P,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,SH%,FW,HIT; W,GAA,SV,SV%,SO.

Team: Mannhyme Mobsters
    (C) Zetterberg (LW), Oshie (RW), Stepan, Desharnais
    (LW) Couture (C), Pacioretty, Ennis (C), Bärtschi
    (RW) Seguin (C), Wheeler, Okposo, Johansen (C)
    (D) Shattenkirk, Goligoski, OEL, Carle, Kronwall, B. Smith
    (G) Lundqvist, Backstrom, Schneider

Draft Picks 2012: Round 2,3,3,3,4,5,5,6,9,10