Thread: Drop Niemi for Elliott or Nabokov?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Drop Niemi for Elliott or Nabokov?

I'm trying to catch up to first place and need goaltending help. Niemi has been killing me lately and I've decided I can't wait any longer for him to get his sh*t together. The two best available candidates are Elliott and Nabokov. Our league awards points for save% versus the league average times the number of shots faced. So, if a guy gets shelled and makes a lot of saves, you get more points. Also, if he plays more there's more opportunity for points (obviously). On the downside, if his save% is below 0.890 then you lose points.

I think that Elliott is the safer play as he has been so consistent and he plays behind the iron-clad STL D. Nabokov will likely see more starts but he can be injury prone and the Islanders' D is not great. However, Nabby has been very consistent this year.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I don't think you should drop him because the Sharks tend to play well in the second-half.

Elliott is STL's back-up, and I think they will lean more on Halak down the stretch. The Blues probably want to have a clear-cut starting goaltender for the playoffs, and Halak is their golden boy.

Nabokov plays for the Isles... enough said.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

With only Wins and SV% - you have to at least consider Elliott with his boss SV% - he will get less wins than Niemi because he simply won't play as many games.

I think once SJ is off the road that Niemi's numbers will settle down and he is your best call at the moment.

Dobber Sports Pro

Well, I did it - dropped Niemi and picked up Elliott. I figured 'Jose has 8 of their next 12 on the road, and Niemi hasn't played that great at home anyway. Hopefully Halak gets the flu again...

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Good luck with that. I am holding Elliott and praying for about 8 more good starts from him.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I don't agree with the move but good luck to you and I hope it pans out as I have both. Points are gained by games played and shots faced. Halak could easily start 5 of the next 6 and under the hitchcock system it seems like the blues face 20 shots a game. Doesn't seem like a recipe for success in your league and niemi can turn things around quickly... time will tell.
    14th year-12 team-Keep 10 + 5 farm
    C-Larkin, Trochek, Pavelski, Hayes, R Strome
    LW-Huberdeau, Meier, Kreider
    RW-Gaudreau, Rantanen, Radulov, Kyrou
    D-Letang, Hamilton, Carlson, Burns, Giordano
    G-Andersen, Lehner, Jones

IR-Tarasenko

Farm - Vilardi, Newhook, McMichael, Gusev, Holtz

Dobber Sports Pro

Time will tell. The way things usually work in my world, Niemi will now go on a Vezina-like tear until the end of the season!

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Undoing my mistake - drop Elliott for...?

Well, after a couple of weeks going with Elliott the predictable outcome happened - he's barely played and Niemi has recovered somewhat. He's still not lights out but is, at least, less atrocious. The lesson here is, if you ask for advice on the forums, ignore it at your peril!

So, now I have to swallow my pride and undo my mistake. I need a goalie that will actually play and I think the alternatives are: Nabokov, Varlamov, Broduer, and (gulp) Niemi. Mason was on the list but I don't know after his unfortunate injury.

What say you, Dobberites?

Dobber Sports Padawan

well elliott is playing today (3/10)

Dobber Sports Pro

Elliott is playing today, but as the Blues play four times this week I was hoping he'd get two starts. Indications are that Halak will start Sunday so it looks like he is maybe the 60/40 or 70/30 starter from now on.

I've had the golden touch replacing skaters this year but every move I make with goalies seems to be wrong. I replaced Theodore with Thomas about a month ago and Theodore has been the better goalie. Arrgh.