Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Columbus likely done with Steve Mason

Dobber Sports Ace

I just traded away Dekanich because I have no faith in him to stay healthy, three injuries in quick succession only 5 games in between all 3!!
    I've got no clue who they pick up to replace mason but they should be making a bid for a solid vet (brodeur type) AND a young guy (Schneider).

Problem is it'll cost them too much...

Columbus are terrible!
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Stud

If I've learned anything in fantasy hockey, its to never write off a goaltender. So much depends on more than their actual skill level.

If Hitch can make Brian Elliott the best statistical goaltender in the league, Mike Smith can be a top-10 goalie in Phoenix, and Ilya Bryzgalov can't win in Philadelphia, anything can happen.

On a new team with a new system Mason could easily become very fantasy-relevant again.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Prodigy

did someone say allen york? lol
    hes been horrendous at every league level this year. i just dont see it in him. maybe a backup at best down the road. i see anton forsberg having much more upside then york even though hes several years away.

mason was never any good IMO outside his rookie year. for some odd reason some rookie goalies play really well in there first year and never bounce back at all or even close to that level. i see the same fate happening to james reimer btw.

anyways, i believe columbus will try to sign & acquire a starting goalie this year or this offseason for a quick fix and then draft a couple of goalies this year and next to groom for the future.

mason should still be capable enough to backup for at least next season, right? lol

Administrator

If Columbus wants to fix their goalie problems I suggest they send scouts over to the Euro leagues to find free agents. They can potentially find the next Eddie Lack without even investing a draft pick.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mason succeed on another team.

Thing is, Columbus needs a solid confident veteran starter. Mason's confidence is destroyed and I'd hate to see Bernier or somewhere end up there because the same could happen.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

If York doesn't pan out, the only other goalie prospect they have (at least to my knowledge) is Mathieu Corbiel-Theriaul. They need to do some hardcore goalie scouting and pick up a veteran goalie as well.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    If Columbus wants to fix their goalie problems I suggest they send scouts over to the Euro leagues to find free agents. They can potentially find the next Eddie Lack without even investing a draft pick.
    Didn't they already try that last year with Gustav Wesslau? That didn't pan out...
    Last edited by Carcillo; January 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I can see Mason playing better on another team as well. Besides the fact that it would be hard for him to do worse, Columbus has done everything they can this season to destroy him as a goaltender.

I can't picture any other team in the league leaving their starter in to be shelled, or pulling him and then sending him back in, since due to injuries they don't have a backup goaltender. How hard would it have been to trade a low round draft pick or sign some veteran goaltender to a minimum deal in order to cover things off until one of their goalies got healthy?

Throwing him out again and again during that huge winless streak at the start of the season when he was getting shelled, playing back to back games and getting shelled, it was really a Mickey Mouse move by a Mickey Mouse organization.

The fact the GM still has a job astounds me. Would it have been that hard to sign a veteran back-up during the off-season?
    16 Team 4th Year H2H Yahoo! Keeper League, 2012 Champion
    Keep 8 (Max 1 Goalie) + 2* (23 and under)
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,FW,HIT,BLK,W,GAA,SV,SV%
    2LW,3C,2RW,3D,1U,2G,8BN,3IR
    LW Landeskog*, C Tavares*,Getzlaf, RW Ovechkin,Malkin(C),Seguin*(C),D Subban,G Lundqvist, Lehner*
    Draft - 1st,2 2nds, 2 3rds.