Thread: 12/31/11 - Studs & Duds

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default 12/31/11 - Studs & Duds

I wasn’t able to catch much live action amongst the New Year’s festivities, so most of this report will be pieced together from highlights and stats. Happy New Year everyone!

STUDS

Daley dose of Trevor

Trevor Daley was all over the ice for the Stars tonight. Daley had a goal and two helpers while adding five shots, two blocks, and a hit. Big night for the Dallas rearguard as he had just two points in his previous six games.

Lightning in a Bottle

There were seven Tampa players who finished with a plus-2 rating or better as the Lightning knocked off the Hurricanes 5-2. Steve Downie, Martin St. Louis, Ryan Malone, and Steven Stamkos had three points each. With his efforts Stamkos has now taken over the NHL goal scoring lead and has 10 goals in his last eight games.

Let’s Make a Neil

Chris Neil scored the equalizer for the Sens and recorded six PIM, four shots, and a hit. He did it all while getting just 11:50 of ice-time.

Honourable Mention

Ilya Kovalchuk – Had a goal, two assists, and posted five shots.

Alexander Ovechkin – Had two goals, two PIM, and six shots on the night.

Matt Moulson – A goal and two power play assists.

Jimmy Howard – Made 31 saves to record the only shutout of the night.

Jhonas Enroth - Stopped 44 of 46 and was the only reason the Sabres earned a point.

DUDS

Evgeny “Did he even play?” Grachev

Aside from a single hit, Grachev’s stat line showed zeros across the board. Despite playing almost ten minutes the Blues forward was virtually invisible on Saturday night. To the untrained eye it appears he pulled off the ultimate fantasy hockey Houdini act. Besides I still have a few doubts about that hit, I demand a recount.

Cam “Why do I still have him in three leagues?” Ward

Now the Lightning did score some nice goals but Ward just can’t seem to put a solid run together this season. Giving up five goals on 32 shots is just not going to get it done.

Jay “I have the clubhouse lead” Harrison

Ward wasn’t getting much help from team-mates like Jay Harrison. The Canes’ defenseman pulled off the rare feat of scoring a goal yet still finishing as a minus-4.

Dishonourable Mention

Kyle Brodziak – Finished minus-3 and didn’t record a single shot.

Devan Dubnyk – Dropped to 4-9 on the year by giving up four goals on 29 shots to the lowly Isles.

John Carlson – Managed a minus-2 in a 4-2 victory over the Blue Jackets.

Dobber Sports Master

And thus concludes 2011 "Studs and Duds" good job dude.

Onto 2012!
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports All-Star

Thanks Michael but you forgot 1 stud and his name is Killer67!!! Oh Yeah Baby!!
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Banned

The only reason the Sabres earned a point was the posts and crossbar behind Enroth haha

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    The only reason the Sabres earned a point was the posts and crossbar behind Enroth haha
    So right, can't for the life of me figure out why the Sens would shoot at them instead of into the net.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Man that was insane haha. After the Leafs game they cut into the Sens game and showed all of those highlights of posts/crossbars. Never seen anything like it.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!