Thread: Bernier on the Wire, is this an Opportunity?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Bernier on the Wire, is this an Opportunity?

A manager just dropped Bernier. In my league we start two goalies so they have increased value. I have a good stable of young goalies and I'm rebuilding hopefully to be competitive next year. After that I need the likes of Rask and Markstrom (Bernier???) to deliver the goods. Does Bernier fit what I need? He is still ranked high, is this accurate and more importantly, will he get the opportunity? He seems seriously buried behind Quick in LA, but could this change, or his is value (contract details??) conducive to a trade somewhere where he can be the legitimate starter? What is everyone's take on Bernier's future?
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    A manager just dropped Bernier. In my league we start two goalies so they have increased value. I have a good stable of young goalies and I'm rebuilding hopefully to be competitive next year. After that I need the likes of Rask and Markstrom (Bernier???) to deliver the goods. Does Bernier fit what I need? He is still ranked high, is this accurate and more importantly, will he get the opportunity? He seems seriously buried behind Quick in LA, but could this change, or his is value (contract details??) conducive to a trade somewhere where he can be the legitimate starter? What is everyone's take on Bernier's future?
    Considering I like Rask more then Bernier and he doesn't fall into the rookie cat like Markstom and Lindback, I see no real reason to pick him up.

Except that he might get traded soon if LA keeps losing then he might be a valuable trade chip. Thus I might consider dropping Hamonic for him.
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; December 19, 2011 at 6:04 PM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I hear ya BBB. But the Goaltending "mystic" makes me wonder if Bernier could be traded? This guy has paid his dues, a lot of fact leads to the conclusion that he can be an elite starter somewhere. Yes? No? Picking him up is a risk but how much of a risk? Is Johathan Bernier matured enough that a team like Tampa, for example, would consider him over a guy like Schnieder who's hype and associated salary might make Bernier a very desirable option? Hell, I don't know.

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports Sage

I think it is a risk no doubt and I actually like Hamonic more then most but considering your crop of young D I think it is a measured risk. In the end it has to come down to your feelings about Bernier and Hamonic. Gl update me on your. I like to know which way people go.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Bernier han't been great, but his pedigree is so high that i believe part of his issue is not getting consistent time to find a groove. I think he's worth a speculative pickup, if you can afford it. I think your crop of Dmen is good enough that you can sacrifce one and take a chance on Bernier, just be okay with the worst possible scenario, though, him falling flat on his face.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Veteran

I have been a Bernier owner for a long time in a few leagues. I have to say, I don't recommend it. I don't see a reason for LA to trade him this year. He is a cheap backup, is capable of carrying the team if Quick gets hurt and has one more year left. Plus if Quick sucks in the playoffs (although at this point I think it would need more then that) and they decide he isn't the guy they have a 'potential' elite starter in waiting.

Unless they get Stamkos for him or Bernier demands a trade then why would LA even consider moving him until next year (offseason at the earliest but likely not until he is an RFA the following summer).

That said I think Columbus GM Scott Howson is in 'career' saving mode and if his goaltending goes back into the tank he might make a desperation trade for a goalie.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    Bernier han't been great, but his pedigree is so high that i believe part of his issue is not getting consistent time to find a groove. I think he's worth a speculative pickup, if you can afford it. I think your crop of Dmen is good enough that you can sacrifce one and take a chance on Bernier, just be okay with the worst possible scenario, though, him falling flat on his face.

God I hope you're right 87! I went against my gut and moved Rask for Bernier in a multi player deal. Now Bernier was not the #1 guy coming back. The deal was
    Rask and Under achieiving forwards Stafford and Purcell and Lowlie Rolie
    for
    Vokoun, Bernier, Burrows and Huberdeau.

Overall I think the deal balanced my way, but I still hope Bernier becomes what I expect Rask will soon become.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    God I hope you're right 87! I went against my gut and moved Rask for Bernier in a multi player deal. Now Bernier was not the #1 guy coming back. The deal was
    Rask and Under achieiving forwards Stafford and Purcell and Lowlie Rolie
    for
    Vokoun, Bernier, Burrows and Huberdeau.

Overall I think the deal balanced my way, but I still hope Bernier becomes what I expect Rask will soon become.
    I would prefer Rask to any young G who is not presently a starter, Hubs was a nice piece back. If Bernier regains form and Hubs lives up to his billing, you'lle have a stupid smile on your face instead of egg.
    Last edited by One87; December 20, 2011 at 3:03 PM.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'm going to wait till he becomes an FA provided someone doesn't grab him off the wire. That way I don't lose waiver priority and it's a good excuse cause I'm still not sure whether grabbing him is benefical considering the drop I'd have to make! I need Havlat to go on IR!!! Anyone else have an opinion, I could use some persuasion one way or the other?

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Keepers

Drops

Dobber Sports Superstar

Smile

Just an update, Bernier did indeed clear waivers and Havlat was put on IR after that devastating hit he took coming off the bench. So, I scooped Bernier up without having to make a drop.....we'll see what happens.

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Keepers

Drops