Thread: First tough goalie choice of the year

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default First tough goalie choice of the year

Thomas @ Buffalo
    Enroth vs Boston
    Ward vs Montreal

wins, gaa, svs, sv% in roto

My gut is telling me Enroth and Ward and of course you see how silly that sounds to the head. What do you guys think?

Dobber Sports Giant

I would definitely go with the two "hottest" options in Ward and Thomas. Ward has won his last two and played incredible lately, and the Bruins have won 10 straight with Thomas posting three shutouts during that span.

I like Enroth, but he's the odd man out on this one...
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

oh ya, that is an easy one I would think. Ward and Thomas. They are your best goalies and Ward has an easier game then Enroth....
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; November 23, 2011 at 5:38 AM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yup, logic says Thomas and Ward. Problem is I don't see the Bruins beating the Sabres. So my debate isn't about starting the better goalie which Thomas is far and away, but starting the winning goalie.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Leftwall View Post
    Yup, logic says Thomas and Ward. Problem is I don't see the Bruins beating the Sabres. So my debate isn't about starting the better goalie which Thomas is far and away, but starting the winning goalie.
    The Bruins have won 9 in a row. Why don't you see them winning?

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

All good things must come to an end. Sabres are a good team, at home - not illogical that they can win a squeaker over the Bruins. Sabres might like to get a little retribution for Lucic taking out Miller - think there is a fair amount of motivation there.

Dobber Sports Giant

All good things must come to an end. Sabres are a good team, at home - not illogical that they can win a squeaker over the Bruins. Sabres might like to get a little retribution for Lucic taking out Miller - think there is a fair amount of motivation there.
    The way I see that scenario going down is Lucic going to pound-town on somebody's face, and then momentum going to the B's. I could be wrong, though.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    The way I see that scenario going down is Lucic going to pound-town on somebody's face, and then momentum going to the B's. I could be wrong, though.
    Look in Kaleta's eyes and tell me you see someone in touch with sanity! You might be right but I still think the Sabres juice will be high pressure. I think the Bruins are making a smart move starting Thomas - he is a battler and they are going to be leaning on him.
    Last edited by Leftwall; November 23, 2011 at 6:13 AM.

The Wolverine

When I have a tough decision, I usually go with the better goalies regardless of matchup, which are Thomas and Ward. You drafted them for a reason. It may backfire, but I would hate to bench a solid performance from one of my top two, just because I tried to play/guess the matchup. For example, those benching Ward due to a poor record against the Flyers on Monday would have been kicking themselves.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah I certainly appreciate that approach but I think I look beyond 'always start your studs' and 'you drafted them for a reason'. Ward has a career win ratio of 51% and a career SV% of .909 - he's a great goalie on a not so great team for sure but if I can lever a better win percentage out of him in roto by strategically benching him then I am going to do it - and I am williing to forgo a few missed wins that looked like bad matchups.

Anyway, I appreciate the input and don't mean to sound ornery - I do think the decision isn't cut and dried and that's why I wanted some input.

The Wolverine

Yeah I certainly appreciate that approach but I think I look beyond 'always start your studs' and 'you drafted them for a reason'. Ward has a career win ratio of 51% and a career SV% of .909 - he's a great goalie on a not so great team for sure but if I can lever a better win percentage out of him in roto by strategically benching him then I am going to do it - and I am williing to forgo a few missed wins that looked like bad matchups.

Anyway, I appreciate the input and don't mean to sound ornery - I do think the decision isn't cut and dried and that's why I wanted some input.
    No worries - I completely understand. Everyone has different methods on how they make such decisions - mine is just one of them. Good luck.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    When I have a tough decision, I usually go with the better goalies regardless of matchup, which are Thomas and Ward. You drafted them for a reason. It may backfire, but I would hate to bench a solid performance from one of my top two, just because I tried to play/guess the matchup. For example, those benching Ward due to a poor record against the Flyers on Monday would have been kicking themselves.
    That's all I have to say.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Sage

Of course it is completely logical they could win a squeaker my friend, but it is not as likely as Boston winning a squeaker. Buffalo has a losing record at home, Boston has a winning record on the road. Boston has the better goalie and the better team. I think you go with Boston imo. They could lose of course, it is just less likely and that is all you can do is put yourself in the best position to win as possible.

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Huh! All 3 had 3GA. Turnouts the absolute right combination by a little bit was Thomas and Enroth, but I bow to the masses - Thomas was the only winner.