Thread: A Mike Smith for Markstrom trade offer

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default A Mike Smith for Markstrom trade offer

Hey guys,
    I'm in a keeper league and I'm riding Kari Lehtonen and Mike Smith each week as the rest of my goalies are backups (harding, holtby, gustavsson etc).
    There's a guy in my league that wants to trade me Markstrom for my Smith and a first round pick in a couple years.
    Do I do this? I'm not convinced Markstrom will stay in the NHL this year and if you don't get three goalie starts a week your goalie stats are void.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by 9601 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I'm in a keeper league and I'm riding Kari Lehtonen and Mike Smith each week as the rest of my goalies are backups (harding, holtby, gustavsson etc).
    There's a guy in my league that wants to trade me Markstrom for my Smith and a first round pick in a couple years.
    Do I do this? I'm not convinced Markstrom will stay in the NHL this year and if you don't get three goalie starts a week your goalie stats are void.

Thoughts?
    Well, it really all depends on how competitive your team is going to be this year. If you are going to be competitive, then you clearly stick with Lehtonen/Smith combination, but I think if you are going to be a basement dweller, this is a pretty solid deal for you - although I would try to get the draft pick taken out of the deal. Basically this deal comes down to a couple things:

First, Markstrom will likely be sent down again when Clemmensen's knee soreness subsides, likely only a few more days. While he's definitely good enough to remain in the NHL, the Panthers I'm sure would prefer to have him dominating in the minors for another year before taking full-time NHL starting job. In addition, the Panthers don't have to rush him back as both Theodore and Clemmensen - albeit in limited action - have played very well.

Ultimately, I think you take the deal if you have a weaker, rebuilding team; But, if you are going to contend this season, you absolutely can't make this deal unless you have other options lined up for a #2 Goalie.

Cheers.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Expert

Yep this all depends on two things.
    Is it a full keeper and are you contending.

If you are trying to win now it´s not a good deal for you but if you aren´t confident about really having the power to win the league you gotta take Markstrom here in a full keeper. The talent is simply to high to neglect.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah if you aren't going to win this year then this is a pretty good deal - although there is a lot to be said for a bird in the hand. . . .

The nice thing about Smith is that he plays in a goalie friendly environment - without injury I wonder if it won't be a few seasons before Markstrom can surpass him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys.
    I have a fairly competitive team this year so I said no, as I didn't want to handcuff my team with just one starting goalie. Apparently phoenix plays a "sound defensive game" and I'm thinking that will help Smith in the long run.

Much appreciated.

Dobber Sports Superstar

It looks like Smith is thriving under Tippet in PHX, which with 20/20 hindsight isn't that surprising, as he did pretty well with Tip in Dallas also. Perhaps TB was just a bad fit for him.

I would wait a while longer before moving him in any case. Let those bad memories fade a bit.

RETIRED