Thread: Most useful backup?

The Wolverine

Default Most useful backup?

This is for my one-year category points league in my signature.

My current goalies are Price, Ward and Emery.

Keeping in mind the 85 game maximum (current pace: -7), I just need a backup for spot starts, but one that I can use in my lineup more often. I checked the same night tool, and these are the best options given the team conflicts:

Keep Emery, or pick up one of:
    Biron, Dubnyk or Ellis.

Here are there fantasy points per game so far:
    Biron (3.5) - 4 games started
    Emery (1.5) - 5 games started
    Ellis (1.3) - 3 games started
    Dubnyk (1.1) - 6 games started

Obviously Biron has been by far the best, but I'm wondering from this point onwards if he's still the best option, and whether he will start enough. Emery has been decent aside from last weekend's slaughter, but on a good team. Will Hiller be given more rest to give Ellis a shot? Dubnyk might get the most starts, but will they be quality ones and Khabibulin is playing really well.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

The Wolverine

Here is my signature below.

Dobber Sports Genius

I would go with Emery. He plays on a really good Chicago team and will be given the best chance to do well when he plays.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Banned

just have a point besides these goalies.

Do you have the option of Dekanich or Elliot? Either way could become starters soon enough, and that may be more useful for you

not sure if available or not

out of your choices, I couldn't even tell ya which one I would prefer for spotstarts... Probably Emery because the team in front of him, but how much will he start? Who knows

Dobber Sports Stud

As much as I hate to say it Emery looks like the best of that bunch. I have him and am holding on as he has shown he can play at this level and is, as noted above, on a good team (excluding this past Sat).

Biron looks good but I believe he got most of his starts during a seven game string that was relatively easy for the Rags - w/o Staal in the NYR line up I do not have the same faith in their defence (Lundy can handle this, don't think Biron can).

Hope this helps. Cheers.

The Wolverine

Dutch, Elliott is taken but Dekanich is a FA. I figured with another recent injury, Dekanich would be hard pressed to get into play and become the starter soon (though not sure how serious), especially with Sanford holding his own (who is also a FA). However, Columbus conflicts a lot more with my goalies so they wouldn't get into my lineup that often. My choices given above are much more likely to get in my lineup.

I guess I'll stick with Emery for now, and I'm sure Crawford will need some rest from time to time. Thanks everyone.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Sucks because Dubnyk is my favourite goalie of the bunch but his job security is non-existent and I don't know if we can really trust this Oilers team.

Biron unfortunately won't get a whole lot of starts because Lundqvist is a horse. Only way is if Lundqvist goes down with injury.

Emery is okay, as the folks mentioned above he is the best option. Reason for that for ME is that he plays for Coach Q. If Crawford falters at some point, you never know Emery may be able to string a few starts together. That being said, I just think Emery has the best opportunity to get starts that are simultaneously good quality ones as well.

My two cents.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Hiller is really struggling - I wonder in the short term at least if they don't go to Ellis a little more often until Hiller rights the ship. Nothing to bank on there unfortunately.

It does however look like Emery is the guy to sit on for the moment, but there is quite a bit of talk about Dubnyk getting more starts so I would watch that closely. He is playing quite well.
    Last edited by Leftwall; November 25, 2011 at 7:08 AM.