Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Giroux/Rinne for Stamkos/Vokoun

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Giroux/Rinne for Stamkos/Vokoun

Which side of this trade would you rather be on?

Keeper league; stats in my signature below.
    8 team, 5 year keeper (2nd year)

G, A, Pts, +-, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SA, SHO

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Vestry View Post
    Which side of this trade would you rather be on?

Keeper league; stats in my signature below.
    It depends on who my goalie is. If Rinne is going to be my keeper goalie I like that side if he is not I like the other side...
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Padawan

I like the Giroux/Rinne side. The Giroux express is not slowing down and Rinne holds more value in a keeper league.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Giroux/Rinne for sure.
    16 teams, Yahoo H2H keeper league ( we keep ALL of our players from year to year) 2C 2RW 2LW 4D 2G 5B 1Util

No salary cap

G A +/- PIM PPP SOG HIT W GAA SV(total) SV% SO

C: Crosby , Lecavalier, Ott , C. Smith
    LW: A. Mcdonald (C), Pacioretty , Wheeler, Greening
    RW: Read (C), M. Michalek (LW), Neil, J. Samson
    D: T. Kaberle, Wisniewski, Meszaros, Quincey, Garrison, Voynov,
    G: Fleury, Bryzgalov, Khabibulin, Enroth, S. Mason

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I think this is much closer than the other posters do obviously.

Stamkos > Giroux
    Vokoun < Rinne

I'd take the Stamkos side 8 times out of 10.
    11 team keeper league, 3rd season.
    Points only. Goalies: 2pts Win, 3pt S/O
    9F, 6D, 2G, 2BN, 1IR

F: Stamkos*, Parise*, Backstom*(IR), Benn*, Neal*, Clarkson, Berglund, A. McDonald, Gagner, Ennis, Okposo,

D: OEL, B Campbell, Wisniewski, B. Smith, Giordano, Diaz

G: Fleury*, Halak*, Anderson

Dobber Sports Genius

Ouch, I'd probably go with Girouz/Rinne with those cats
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

The Wolverine

Simply the players involved and the categories are not enough to give the best advice. Please provide more information, such as (at least):

- your roster,
    - what type of league (h2h, roto),
    - how many keepers, and
    - your needs (e.g. category focus, win now/later, etc)

However, given the information provided I'd rather Giroux/Rinne because of the importance of strong goaltending (6 of 15 categories are for goalies) and it's a keeper. Who knows how much longer Vokoun will be playing and Rinne will be elite for years. The perceived advantage of Stamkos over Giroux is not enough, in my opinion, to offset the downgrade of Rinne to Vokoun long-term.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like the Giroux/Rinne side as well.

Long term, Rinne is far more valuable than Vokoun, then Stamkos is over Giroux.

However, if your desperate to compete this year, then the Stamkos/Vokoun side should be a little better this year and maybe next depending on where Vokoun signs.
    24 GM – 3 Tier Salary Cap Roto Dynasty League + Roto Playoffs (Keep 32 of 35)
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, HITS, BS, W, GAA, SV | 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G

C - Crosby, W.Nylander, Kempe, B.Howden, Wallmark, Z.Sanford, Newhook
    LW - Ovechkin, Vrana, S.Bennett, Lehkonen, Aston-Reese, T.Benson, S.Poulin
    RW - JT.Miller, Coleman, Gourde, Dzingel, Tippett, Volkov
    D - Klingberg, Chabot, Slavin, Matheson, Chychrun, Sanheim, D.Toews, E.Bouchard, Cholowski
    G - J.Gibson, DeSmith, Sparks, Luukkonen, Starrett

Dobber Sports Expert

Unless you already own a goalie of Rinnes calibeer like f.e. Lundqvist i def. go with the Giroux/Rinne side since goalie stats are so important in your setup.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Genius

You guys are honestly out of your minds Stamkos and Vokoun no question. Stamkos is and always will be better than Giroux, nevermind in a limited keep of all places and not only is Vokoun plenty worthwhile vs. Rinne in and of himself, but a G like Bernier or Schneider in that limited keep can very easily be obtained in a redraft no less next season where at least one if not both will be 1 starters. Echoboomer is closest with 8 out of 10 times in favor of Stamkos as it should be 11 out of 10 times in favor of Stamkos-Vokoun vs. Giroux-Rinne. I mean its an 8 team keep 5 setting, like you can't get an elite goalie in a redraft. Be serious. Stamkos bro, don't be a fool.
    Last edited by MT319; November 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by MT319 View Post
    You guys are honestly out of your minds Stamkos and Vokoun no question. Stamkos is and always will be better than Giroux, nevermind in a limited keep of all places and not only is Vokoun plenty worthwhile vs. Rinne in and of himself, but a G like Bernier or Schneider in that limited keep can very easily be obtained in a redraft no less next season where at least one if not both will be 1 starters. Echoboomer is closest with 8 out of 10 times in favor of Stamkos as it should be 11 out of 10 times in favor of Stamkos-Vokoun vs. Giroux-Rinne. I mean its an 8 team keep 5 setting, like you can't get an elite goalie in a redraft. Be serious. Stamkos bro, don't be a fool.
    To clarify, it doesn't say it's a keep five, rather a five year keeper.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    To clarify, it doesn't say it's a keep five, rather a five year keeper.
    Sure misread "5" aspect, but regardless my advice does not change and it is still an 8 team league. Stamkos-Vokoun short-term and one of Bernier/Schneider/Markstom/Neuvirth-Holtby is definitely better than Giroux-Rinne no question. No one in here however gave advice based on the assumption that he could not utilize Vokoun this year and one of those up and comers long-term which makes this still a poor call across the board on this one, minus Echoboomer.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Here's how I would think this through:

There's 8 teams in this league, you've gotta assume that each team will keep their best keeper.

So you gotta figure that the following are off the table (give or take):

Tier 1
    Lundqvist
    Rinne
    Bryzgalov
    Luongo
    Price
    Miller
    Quick
    Thomas

Which means the goalies you can draft will *probably* include the likes of:

Tier 2
    Niemi
    Ward
    Vokoun
    Fleury
    Howard
    Hiller
    Crawford
    Kipper
    Halak

So the question for me would be: Based on his scoring format... with goaltending accounting for 6/15 (40%) of the categories would I be comfortable with one of the guys from Tier 2 being my #1 goalie?

Looking at that list, my answer is probably no. Especially since Vokoun is playing for WSH, and that team goes through goalies like a rotating door. They've got Neuv who's young and hungry, and they've got Holtby who looks promising waiting in the wings.

Rinne on the other hand, with his new record-breaking contract is going nowhere, on a solid defensive team. He'll get the same wins as the top goalies, but his ratios will be better than win machines like howard, ward, niemi, etc.

Secondly, as high as I am on Stamkos, I don't think Giroux is as huge a downgrade as MT makes him out to be. The gap between these guys isn't that big in my view... I really believe Giroux will become a 100 point scorer in the near future. I would probably peg Stammer as a 110 point guy.

Is that worth the difference between Rinne who will soon become the best goalie in the world (if not already) and old man Vokoun? Hell yes.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Here's how I would think this through:

There's 8 teams in this league, you've gotta assume that each team will keep their best keeper.

So you gotta figure that the following are off the table (give or take):

Tier 1
    Lundqvist
    Rinne
    Bryzgalov
    Luongo
    Price
    Miller
    Quick
    Thomas

Which means the goalies you can draft will *probably* include the likes of:

Tier 2
    Niemi
    Ward
    Vokoun
    Fleury
    Howard
    Hiller
    Crawford
    Kipper
    Halak

So the question for me would be: Based on his scoring format... with goaltending accounting for 6/15 (40%) of the categories would I be comfortable with one of the guys from Tier 2 being my #1 goalie?

Looking at that list, my answer is probably no. Especially since Vokoun is playing for WSH, and that team goes through goalies like a rotating door. They've got Neuv who's young and hungry, and they've got Holtby who looks promising waiting in the wings.

Rinne on the other hand, with his new record-breaking contract is going nowhere, on a solid defensive team. He'll get the same wins as the top goalies, but his ratios will be better than win machines like howard, ward, niemi, etc.

Secondly, as high as I am on Stamkos, I don't think Giroux is as huge a downgrade as MT makes him out to be. The gap between these guys isn't that big in my view... I really believe Giroux will become a 100 point scorer in the near future. I would probably peg Stammer as a 110 point guy.

Is that worth the difference between Rinne who will soon become the best goalie in the world (if not already) and old man Vokoun? Hell yes.
    Remind me to sent you some rep tomorrow cause that post is perfect and i´m out of rep for today. Nothing to add here.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Genius

How many option on that top list 2 years ago would've been there. Not many I assure you just like 2 years from now that top tier will not look like it does now either. Stamkos-Vokoun is the route to take for a lll you know Stamkos hits his 120 upside and Cedric Desjardins is Marc-Andre Fleury V2 two seasons from now and Al Montoya top tier G for all you know. G is very easy to make up in an 8 man keep, you guys are ridiculous advocate he take Giroux over a 22 year old 50+ G scorer who's already hit his 2nd year in the league what Giroux's peak upside is and who has 120 upside in his own right and will be at least a 100 point player moving forward. Stamkos for the 3rd and final time, do not be a fool.