Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Karma contest - Selke

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Karma contest - Selke

Jason_Banks wrote:
    why are people saying Kesler and Brind\'Amour when tehy are minus players...

I would love to have them as my top Defencive forwards anyday... but you can\'t say they are an award winner for this year with minuses... or really low +s...
    Plus/minus is not an indication of individual players defensive or offensive prowess. Say for example, you are on a power play and your bone-head offensive defenseman (um McCabe anyone?) coughs up or mishandles the puck. That leads to say a breakaway and if they score YOU get a minus?

Individual defensive breakdowns happen all the time and often one player is responsible. That means four others guys who were doing their job defensively end up a minus on the play.

Conversely, if your bone-head offensive defenseman makes a beautiful long breakout pass to one Alex Ovechkin and he manages to score (like that\'s ever happened), all five of you get a plus, even though only two of you are really responsible for the goal.

Total crap stat, but hockey doesn\'t have tons of other stats that us poolies can use.

To use it as a basis for determining how good a player is defensively is completely wrong.

Here\'s an example of how wacky the plus/minus stat is. Chris Pronger\'s plus/minus for his 9 years in St.Louis:

-18, +15, +47, +3, +52, +21, +23, -2, -1

This is a Hart and Norris trophy winning defenseman who was with the same team for 9 years.

The coaches know who the best players are defensively - you see them out there in the last minute of a game trying to hold the lead.

Having the Professional Hockey Writers Association vote on it amounts to a popularity contest and results should ignorned as such. This one should be voted on by the NHL Coaches.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Well this is why I picked Zetterberg before for the Hart, because he not only puts up lots of points he can also be accounted for as a defensive presence aswell.
    Z..

Zetterberg!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Wizard

Recap.

Brindy: Sin Bin,joos,WTP,Torture,mclarenf1

Kesler: Crazynuck

M. Richards: Dirty Dangles, doulos, enfuego

Zetterberg: Rusty Pickles, Zorro

Madden: angus

Arnott: Jason_Banks

Fisher: mapletreemarty
    Looking for a league

Woodbridge Wild

JFHL Cup Champions 08-09 & 10-11

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Sin Bin wrote:
    Recap.

Brindy: Sin Bin,joos,WTP,Torture,mclarenf1

Kesler: Crazynuck

M. Richards: Dirty Dangles, doulos, enfuego

Zetterberg: Rusty Pickles, Zorro

Madden: angus

Arnott: Jason_Banks

Fisher: mapletreemarty
    Wow. Datsyuk denies the forum. A strikeout. The saving grace was that Rusty Pickles, Zorro & angus each did pick one of the finalists.