Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Malkin's Knee - from the horse's mouth

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Malkin's Knee - from the horse's mouth

From my CBS Pool:

"I feel good, but I can't say now," Evgeni Malkin said. "It's a game-time decision. If I feel better tonight, then I will. But if not, I can't play. Yeah, I had a couple days off and my knee feels better. I had a good warmup today and we'll see tonight." Malkin has played in just two of the team's first four games due to lingering soreness in his surgically-repaired right knee, frustrating fantasy owners who watched him excel in the preseason.

Video (watch from 1:00 mark onwards):
    http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videoc...=829&id=127850

Two important things I would glean from this:

1) Malkin is a *****

2) It IS in fact his surgically repaired knee that is bothering him (which was pretty obvious in my opinion despite what many in the other thread would believe). Sure he'll come back to play games here and there... but is this something you want to be dealing with for the rest of the year? He's already sitting out after 1.5 games...

As someone who has followed Malkin very closely over the last 2 years, I'm going to reiterate what I told you guys 4 days ago when Balysma first reported "general soreness" and all that other bullshit... GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN. You've already taken a hit by waiting this long, but at least you can salvage some solid players before the general public catches on to this.

edit: this is more geared to one-year leagues, although I personally would seriously consider shopping him if I were in a keeper as well
    Last edited by blayze; October 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Do we really need three Malkin threads on the same page? It's all the same information.

Of course its his knee, in fact:

"Still feel a little discomfort... The knee is slightly painful, at the spot of the scar. A bit of pressure there" - Malkin on his injury.
    http://twitter.com/#!/SlavaMalamud/s...43428418748416

And some very helpful information you posted, I'm really glad you decided to share it.
    Setting up the play.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but anyway I feel this deserved its own thread given the importance to fantasy owners. There is too much convoluted garbage in the other long thread.

Just trying to save people some heartache... it's going to be a long season and time is of the essence here for owners.
    Last edited by blayze; October 13, 2011 at 2:24 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Are you typing this with a straight face as you hold Gaborik, McDonald, Gagne and Alfredsson on your roster?
    Any of those 4 are as much a bandaid as Malkin with half the reward.
    It is smart though to push the panic button as you have irons in the fire trying to acquire him, I'll give you that.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Ninja

I can understand why you would think it would be crazy for me to be holding the skeleton squad (as I call them) as part of my fantasy team... but its hard to jump to conclusions about my drafting acumen without knowing my pool settings.

We start 5 or 6 forwards each week and 1 or 2 goalies... I almost always roll 2 goalies as part of my strategy, which is why I drafted elite goalies early.

My "core" guys are St. Louis, Giroux and Marleau... these guys are studs and they're almost always healthy. That means, at any time, I can rotate between any 2 of Gabby, Selanne, Mcdonald, Gagne and Alfie. I fully expect 1 or even 2 of them to be injured at any given time, but I can just swap them in at out as I please, and if they get injured badly I'll just drop them for a Marchand or someone of that caliber.

Given my league's lineup settings, I would much rather have a handful of point-per game guys I can rotate in and out at will, then a handful of mediocre 45-55 point guys who will be healthy all year round.

For the record, I drafted Gaborik (7th round), Selanne (10th round), McDonald (11th round), Gagne (12th round) and Alfie off the wire... so you can hardly compare the risk/reward tradeoff to Malkin's situation
    Last edited by blayze; October 13, 2011 at 2:43 PM.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Why is Malkin a *****? Because he had major knee surgery and it hurts a bit? I had major knee surgery when I was 16 and it still hurts sometimes too, does that make me a *****?

I'm confused by the point of this thread I guess.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Banned

hate to say I told you so boys, but I told you so...you just don't come back from an injury like that in one year, it takes a full season without re-injury to recoup properly

Dobber Sports Stud

Regardless, I don't think it makes much sense to deal Malkin in a keeper league right now. And while I understand the panic, I think the issue is overblown. If anyone with a medical background cares to comment I'm all ears.

Its normal to feel pain in a surgically repaired area when resuming regular activities as scar tissue is broken down and tendons/muscles regain their elasticity. Its not like this is a career-ending injury - lots of NHL players have rehabbed and returned in recent memory. Growing pains are to be expected, and I'd much rather the Penguins held him out of games early in his return when he feels discomfort - rather than him continue to play and risk another/further injury (Markov).

The problem could also be psychological as well - as slight discomfort is mistaken for real pain. This happens in baseball to pitchers often when they return from Tommy John surgery.

List of NHL players who've rehabbed and returned after ACL tear in past 3-4 yrs:
    Dany Heatley
    Johan Franzen
    Brendan Morrow
    Erik Johnson
    Justin Williams
    David Jones
    Radek Martinek
    Andrew Brunette
    Scottie Upshall
    There are a number of others, but these are the prominent ones who were younger when sustaining the injury.

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes

Dobber Sports Expert

It's so funny that in threads like these the naysayers only pop in to add their two cents worth, when something of a negative nature happens and hampers production. Earlier in the summer I recall the same types of threads about Parise and how his value was shot due to his knee surgery and that you should shop him while you can. Since he has played a couple of games with no re-injury and a couple of goals I guess he doesn't fit into the same category. It's easy to say I told you so after the fact.
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    hate to say I told you so boys, but I told you so...you just don't come back from an injury like that in one year, it takes a full season without re-injury to recoup properly
    Correct. Most of the above mentioned players had off-years the year after returning from acl surgery.

I'll be happy with 60 games and 70 pts.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    Correct. Most of the above mentioned players had off-years the year after returning from acl surgery.

I'll be happy with 60 games and 70 pts.
    You might as well trade him to me

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Smokie View Post
    It's so funny that in threads like these the naysayers only pop in to add their two cents worth, when something of a negative nature happens and hampers production. Earlier in the summer I recall the same types of threads about Parise and how his value was shot due to his knee surgery and that you should shop him while you can. Since he has played a couple of games with no re-injury and a couple of goals I guess he doesn't fit into the same category. It's easy to say I told you so after the fact.
    Not sure if you meant me Smokie but I argued long and hard during the offseason that Malkin would struggle this season. I made the argument because of the seriousness of his knee injury (terrible triad) and the history it has with athletes trying to recover from it. Like I said then, if he's smart and takes good care of the injury he can probably get back to close to 100% NEXT season but this year his play will be hampered and he's at higher risk for re-injury.

I own him in one of my leagues so I'm definitely not happy about it or gloating.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Own him in almost all my one years... not looking good haha

Dobber Sports Ninja

I was aiming to draft him myself in all my one-year leagues this year because I felt he would be seriously undervalued but as luck would have it I drew late 1st round draft positions in all my pools so he was always taken every time it got to me.

Guess the fantasy gods are on my side this year after I paid my dues on Malkin last year

Dobber Sports Ninja

Here's the video of his interview from earlier today. Definitely doesn't sound good.

http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videoc...=829&id=127850