Thread: H2H goalie strategy

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default H2H goalie strategy

I'm new to the h2h format and the minimum 3 games played rule. The stats that are counted in my league are W, SV%, GAA, SO. I have Rinne and Ward as my two goalies.

It seems like 2 of the stats (W, SO) are likely to increase with more starts but 2 of the stats (GAA, SV%) would probably stay the same or even get worse (greater chance for a bad game). I've started both my goalies so far and Ward is killing me after his first 2 games. If I had just started Rinne, I would at least be winning 2 of the stats (sv% and GAA) right now instead of none.

My question is, would it be better to stay closer to the 3 game minimum (assuming good sv% and GAA) or would it be better to play as many games as possible to try and get wins and potentially shut outs (much harder to predict)?

Dobber Sports All-Star

For me, I always start the week by playing my goalies and then I re-evaluate after that. You don't want to sit them too early and risk an injury ruining your stats for the week.

There are a lot of different options available to you once you've got 2 of your 3 starts. Ward is a solid option but if he starts out rough, you can sit him down and roll with Rinne for the rest of the week as it's rare for him to get shelled.

If you get behind in GAA and Sv%, you pretty much have to start them all no matter what as you have nothing to lose.

If you have a big lead in W/SO and you're happy with possibly winning 2 out of 4, sit em down. I own Rinne and I almost never sit him.

The only time I sit them all is if my opponent is out of starts and I have the lead in 3 of 4 cats.

Hopefully this helps a bit. I'll add more if I think of anything.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports All-Star

Do you have a 3rd goalie? I would certainly recommend at least grabbing a Lindback or something to hold the fort down. Neuvirth, Dubnyk, Montoya and Schneider are available in a lot of leagues.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It looks like Dubnyk, Montoya and J. Bernier are on the waiver wire. I might be willing to drop kulemin or elias for one of them. Would this be worth it? I have marleau, benn and hartnell ahead of them as LWs.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by chinesespy View Post
    It looks like Dubnyk, Montoya and J. Bernier are on the waiver wire. I might be willing to drop kulemin or elias for one of them. Would this be worth it? I have marleau, benn and hartnell ahead of them as LWs.
    I'd be fine with dumping Elias and grabbing one of those guys. I guess Montoya, Dubnyk, Bernier would be my order.