Thread: Potential First Keeper Trade

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Potential First Keeper Trade

Potentially my first keeper trade.

Joined a league advertised on here, and there are a few other GMs from the league on here. Just wanted to get some opinions as I gain knowledge of keeper value.

I did not have a good team of keepers to begin with, and missed the draft so I have some work to do to turn this team around. The team in question is the second one listed in my signature.

I turned down this trade, although it was a good offer, to the defending champ. I was hesitant to accept my first trade offer, and wanted a counter or two before to get a better idea of league value.

The trade:

Ryan LW
    Bergeron C
    Voracek RW
    Erik Johnson D
    Fleury G

for

Lecavalier C
    St. Louis RW
    Sharp C/LW
    Lidstorm D
    Kipper G

Would anyone mind breaking this trade down for me? I trust my previous judgement of declining the trade, just looking for some opinions.

(And it may have been Horton in place of Lecavalier, but if my memory serves me correctly it was Lecavalier)

Cheers,
    Ross The Boss Palmer

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Ryan > Sharp
    Bergeron < Lecavalier (though Bergeron's +/- will be better)
    Voracek << St.Louis (lol this is not even remotely close to me)
    EJ ~ Lidstrom (tough to say really, if a team is competing then Lidstrom is worth more, but if the team trading Lidstrom isn't competing then EJ to me isn't a bad return.
    Fleury > Kiprusoff (Fleury plays for the Pens, Kiprusoff plays for the Flames, enough said)

Its a decent offer, but I would expect a better RW in place of Voracek if I'm giving up St.Louis. So tired of this guy getting underrated because of his age (same with Iginla but that's a whole other issue). To me that's the source of the biggest exchange of power in this deal.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Pro

That was my feeling as far as how you assessed the players. Good to see I have a decent grasp on that. I sent a counter offer that he declined, and understandably so from his point of view.

Giroux
    Ryan
    Letang
    Fleury

For

St. Louis
    Lecavalier
    Lidstrom
    Kipper

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    That was my feeling as far as how you assessed the players. Good to see I have a decent grasp on that. I sent a counter offer that he declined, and understandably so from his point of view.

Giroux
    Ryan
    Letang
    Fleury

For

St. Louis
    Lecavalier
    Lidstrom
    Kipper
    Lol, yeah that's lopsided in the other direction now

Giroux >> Lecavalier
    Ryan = St.Louis (factoring in long-term value)
    Letang > Lidstrom
    FLeury > Kiprusoff
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    Potentially my first keeper trade.

Joined a league advertised on here, and there are a few other GMs from the league on here. Just wanted to get some opinions as I gain knowledge of keeper value.

I did not have a good team of keepers to begin with, and missed the draft so I have some work to do to turn this team around. The team in question is the second one listed in my signature.

I turned down this trade, although it was a good offer, to the defending champ. I was hesitant to accept my first trade offer, and wanted a counter or two before to get a better idea of league value.

The trade:

Ryan LW
    Bergeron C
    Voracek RW
    Erik Johnson D
    Fleury G

for

Lecavalier C
    St. Louis RW
    Sharp C/LW
    Lidstorm D
    Kipper G

Would anyone mind breaking this trade down for me? I trust my previous judgement of declining the trade, just looking for some opinions.

(And it may have been Horton in place of Lecavalier, but if my memory serves me correctly it was Lecavalier)

Cheers,
    Ross The Boss Palmer
    I actually like it in a keeper assuming they all make your final cuts:

Ryan is a stud and a great building block for any young team. Giving up St. Louis is tough but landing a guy like Ryan is pretty much a no brainer if your not going for it this year.

Sharp is a great complimentary player but Voracek might end up being a reasonable facsimile. Hes got a lot of upside and finds himself in a great situation in Philly. Its a slight downgrade here but not necessarily a huge one.

Lecavalier to Bergeron is a clear lose for you.

Lidstrom is basically of no ue unless your competing. Im not saying that means you should just give him away but you really need to be actively pushing him here. One minor injury and his one year value goes in the tank. Pair that up with his nil keeper value and you're the one left holding the hot potato. EJ is a great starting point.

In my opinion flipping Kipper for Fleury is the key to this deal. Sure you take a hit on Lecavalier, maybe Sharp but getting a young franchise goalie on a potential dynasty will anchor your team for a long time. Kipper is aging and plays behind a mess of a team right now. Fleury proved what he could do with no superstar support- this year could be scary for the pens.

So in the end I think its a pull the trigger deal. The other GM is actually taking quite a bit of risk with age, injury proneness, and in Lecavaliers case inconsistency. Ideally Id be looking to add some hgih draft picks form next year to balance out the here and now production you'll be losing.

In the end I think Id counter by keeping it similar- Lecavs for sure, not Horton- and adding some high picks on my end. In a keeper where your in clear re-build mode this is actually a pretty good starting point imho. The danger in waiting is that Kipper, Lidstrom, Lecavalier could have their value decimated once the optimism of the pre-season runs out and the get injured/start poorly. My two cents...