Thread: Varly, Mason, Pavelec or status quo?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Varly, Mason, Pavelec or status quo?

Sig #2.

Background:

Took over this team this year and just finished FA draft. Team finished in bottom 3 or 4 last year so cant compete this year. Going in I only had Brodeur and Khabibulin so was hoping to shore up my keepers (38 goalies were kept so it was really slim pickings). I ended up drafting Dubnyk, Montoya and Lindback hoping that with EDM handcuff, and two possible starters (Montoya maybe this season and hoping Rinne or Lindback gets moved before next) maybe I can get out of the goalie cat basement (this team finished last in G cats last season) and at least reach the 164 games played maximum. I had decent defensemen and added Hedman and Hamonic in the draft with thoughts that I may be able to move a D for a G somewhere down the line.

Trade Offer

I was just offered any of Varlamov/S Mason or Pavelec for Seabrook. Would you make this trade? Which goalie would you prefer?

Thanks for any thoughts.

12F, 6D, 1G
    F&D: 1 G/A
    G: 2/W 1/SHO

F: Kopitar Backstrom Zetterberg
    Carter Kesler, Ribeiro Tanguay
    Okposo Berglund Benn Mueller Josefson Tedenby

D: Ehrhoff Suter White Kulikov Blum Larsson Y Weber

G: Quick

12 GM Daily Roto - Keep 16

3C 3LW 3RW 4D 1U 2G 6B 2IR
    Cats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, W, SHO

C: B Richards Krejci Oshie (RW) Vermette (LW)
    LW: Ovechkin Marleau (C) Penner Laich
    RW: Clowe (LW) Samuelsson Simmonds
    D: Keith JJ Shatty Hedman Hamonic
    G: Brodeur S Mason Dubnyk Khabibulin Montoya

IR: Zajac

Dobber Sports Prodigy

No thoughts?

12F, 6D, 1G
    F&D: 1 G/A
    G: 2/W 1/SHO

F: Kopitar Backstrom Zetterberg
    Carter Kesler, Ribeiro Tanguay
    Okposo Berglund Benn Mueller Josefson Tedenby

D: Ehrhoff Suter White Kulikov Blum Larsson Y Weber

G: Quick

12 GM Daily Roto - Keep 16

3C 3LW 3RW 4D 1U 2G 6B 2IR
    Cats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, W, SHO

C: B Richards Krejci Oshie (RW) Vermette (LW)
    LW: Ovechkin Marleau (C) Penner Laich
    RW: Clowe (LW) Samuelsson Simmonds
    D: Keith JJ Shatty Hedman Hamonic
    G: Brodeur S Mason Dubnyk Khabibulin Montoya

IR: Zajac

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'd do it. And pick Varlamov. I think he can be a real good goalie, and Colorado has a good future.

2010, 2014, & 2024 WJC Pool Champion, 2020 Runner-Up

Dobber Sports Ninja

You need goaltending help and you have tremendous depth at D. Seabrook had a career year last year and your league doesn't even count the stats that he excels at. Seems like a logical move to me.

I would trade him for Pavelec though. I'm pretty high on Pavs I think he is and will be a tremendous goaltender.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I would do the deal. You are deep at D and your league doesnt count Hits, which increases seabrooks value.

I think its a tough call between Pavelec and Varlamov. Both may struggle a little this year but in a keeper league you have to look at potential. This is why i exclude Mason. I think in a one year league Mason is worth taking a risk on, but long term i dont trust him to turn it around to the level of his rookie year.

Pavelec - he showed last year that he can dominate at times but has struggled with consistency. This year will be his biggest test with the relocation of the team and the travel involved during the season could wear on the team. His numbers will be reflective of it. I would expect his home numbers to be a lot better than his away numbers.

Varlamav - he has been given a really good shot at a budding team. They have some talent surrounding him, they are just young and will take some time to becoming more consistent. He is in a good spot and has a lot of confidence from management but my problem is with his consistent health issues. How does a goalie get hurt so much? Maybe his conditioning will fix that and a new team staff will put him on a program that is more preventative.

Its a tough call between these two. One year i go Varlamov, but keeper league i think i lean towards Pavelec. I think you get the same risk/reward results between both of them, they just have different risks.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks guys. I tried unsuccessfully to get Halak so I'm going to take this trade but am still deciding between the 3 goalies.

Cats are only Wins and SHO so its as much a team stat as individual.

Pavelec - I think Winnipeg is going to be horrible now and for the foreseeable fuure so I'm reluctant to take Pavelec despite his talent. Just doesnt seem like the Jets have enough talent to turn into a playoff team anytime soon and the fact that they havent invested heavily in him (last year of contract at $1.15 million) worries me.

Varlamov - Talented and has had injury issues but the Avs are heavily invested in him with the high price they paid and his 3 year $8.5 million deal. They also seem like they may not be too far away from being a competitive team with the advantage that they play in a weak division.

Mason - Columbus seems to be the closest to being a playoff team after their substantial financial investments and good young talent. Despite his struggles, they still obviously consider Mason their #1 and goalie of the future. He's also shown how dominant he can be.

Considering that GAA SV% etc are NOT cats in my league, who would you prefer?