Thread: Leafs vs Flyers (wed. game)

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Leafs vs Flyers (wed. game)

Only watched the 3rd period but here is what I tought

- Giroux looks slick with the puck

- B. Schenn will be a star but seems to be in the exact same position as Seguin last year

- Is it just me or does Voracek look awkward out there? I don't see a point a game player here, however I just saw one period.

- Colborne reminds me a little of Jason Allison except with a little more speed. Slick with the puck, a little soft, but lots of potential.

Your comments please.

Banned

After 1 pre-season game, I think we can confidently say that Ilya Bryzgalov is an overpaid bust.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    After 1 pre-season game, I think we can confidently say that Ilya Bryzgalov is an overpaid bust.
    Agreed hahaha

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I'll trade you for that bust
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Dobber Sports Genius

Damnit, I saw the Tuesday game in TO... but no giroux playing nor Bryz

simmonds looked good that game...

couturier looks like a pencil...
    14 GM H2H Salary Cap League (Salaries not Caps)
    Stats:G A +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP GWG SOG FW HITS|W GAA SV SV% SHO
    Start: 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2UTIL,2G
    Prospect Farm (<92GP skaters, <60 goalies)

Dobber Pro League Wales Division - Roto
    Stats: G,A,+/-,PiM,PPP,SOG|W,GAA,Saves
    Start: 4C,4L,4R,6D,2G (Weekly changes)
    2010 - 3rd place
    2009 - 3rd place

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jffjmsn View Post

- B. Schenn will be a star but seems to be in the exact same position as Seguin last year

- Is it just me or does Voracek look awkward out there? I don't see a point a game player here, however I just saw one period.

- Colborne reminds me a little of Jason Allison except with a little more speed. Slick with the puck, a little soft, but lots of potential.

Your comments please.
    Colborne looks good, but like you said maybe a little soft, ...or just needs to get a little stronger, ...seems to be a player though

Schenn, I figure to get alot more icetime than Seguin got, more productin initially, but doesn't seem to have alot of speed, ...incidently I thought Courturier looked outright slow, ...Voracek didn't really standout to me, but to be honest, other than what i read from some of the other guys here about, ...he never really stood out to me, ...so I dunno, hoping for the best there.

Matt Read looked both good, and faster than i thought.

Shelly must be feeling the heat to keep his roster spot, but took a horrendous boarding penalty, then fought and lost to Rosehill.

Which is pretty much why his roster spot is in jeapardy, ...he's willing, but not fast enough to be a physical force out there, unless he outright runs a guy, ...and even though he's a good fighter, ...he only fights other heavyweights, and at his age, winds being at a disadvantage in both strenght and stamina, ...being an enforcer seems to be a young man's role.

There's rumbling in Philly that the Flyers want to sign Hyka to a contract, but might have misinterpreted the eligibility requirements and may not be able to, ...supposedly their scouts really liked him and wanted to draft him late, but the feeling was that he wasn't really being scouted by anyone else and that the Flyers could save a draft pick by letting him go undrafted and then signing him as a ufa, ....hopefully they were right and can sign him because he looks good.

Both Mike Richards and Jeff Carter were apparently healthy scratches, ...which brought back memories of a terrible nitemare I had last summer.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by jffjmsn View Post

Your comments please.
    I think we're past the point of criticizing Giroux, he's got a ton of skill and he's the focal point of that offense. I think Schenn will actually get more opportunity than Seguin, he was always a higher rated prospect and a better two way player than Seguin. Voracek is a very intriguing guy, but perhaps you should give him a pass in terms of pre-season play. Something you may not have noticed is that Tomas Hyka, a eighteen year old from Finland. The Flyers will have to throw him back into the draft pool if they cut him but he was very impressive. Hard nosed kid with some skill to go with it. I think its more clear than ever than Scrivens is NHL ready and he looked very good last night at least from what I saw. Matt Frattin was impressive to me as well, of all the young guys, he seemed like the "go to guy." I'm a big fan of Frattin's, kids like this don't grow on trees. He absolutely smoked a shot from the point over Bryzgalov's glove, very impressive.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Veteran

With regards to Hyka: Here's a link to a good story in today's Delaware county times that talks about how the Flyers originally were going to draft him in the third or fourth round, ...but then forgot about him, and didn't realize he was still available until the their last pick in the seventh, where they opted to draft an enforcer prospect and try to sign Hyka as a ufa.'
    '
    The story also mentions how Hyka was mistakenly cut by the Flyers due to a "clerical" error, and was actually on his way to the airport to report back to his junior team when he was contacted by Paul Holmgren and informed that it had been a mistake, and telling him to report back to the Flyers:

http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.co...d-lead-to.html

I guess the whole thing's not exactly a testament to the front office's organizational skills though.

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Shelly hit on Boyce, and ensuing fight with Rosehill:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W6VTWEEUGPM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post
    With regards to Hyka: Here's a link to a good story in today's Delaware county times that talks about how the Flyers originally were going to draft him in the third or fourth round, ...but then forgot about him, and didn't realize he was still available until the their last pick in the seventh, where they opted to draft an enforcer prospect and try to sign Hyka as a ufa.'
    '
    The story also mentions how Hyka was mistakenly cut by the Flyers due to a "clerical" error, and was actually on his way to the airport to report back to his junior team when he was contacted by Paul Holmgren and informed that it had been a mistake, and telling him to report back to the Flyers:

http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.co...d-lead-to.html

I guess the whole thing's not exactly a testament to the front office's organizational skills though.
    Good to hear a bigtime Flyer fan chime in here, thanks for that. I'm curious about this kid as well, very impressed with him so far.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."