Thread: Ward vs Fleury

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Ward vs Fleury

H2H keeper (W, SO,save%, saves, GAA) which goalie would you rather have over the long term? I feel it is very close between these two.

Dobber Sports Genius

These guys are pretty close, I'd likely edge Fleury due to trade value and team quality though.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Master

Ward. He'll play more games, near Fleury in wins, and likely get better sv%, saves, and GAA.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by TK12555 View Post
    Ward. He'll play more games, near Fleury in wins, and likely get better sv%, saves, and GAA.

Not so sure on this one. Fleury's SV% was similar last year (removing the poor start) and his GAA was less (2.32 compared to 2.56). Read an article recently talking about Michalek and his impact on Bryz's number when he left PHX and Fleury's numbers when he arrived in PIT.

PIT is a better team and plays better team defense. I'm just speculating here, but I feel Fleury is growing into his talent and becoming more consistent.

Having said all that...it is still very close and you really can't go wrong either way.
    10 Team H2H (Keep 14)
    G, A, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG
    W, GAA, SV%

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by jasonleger.2439 View Post
    Not so sure on this one. Fleury's SV% was similar last year (removing the poor start) and his GAA was less (2.32 compared to 2.56). Read an article recently talking about Michalek and his impact on Bryz's number when he left PHX and Fleury's numbers when he arrived in PIT.

PIT is a better team and plays better team defense. I'm just speculating here, but I feel Fleury is growing into his talent and becoming more consistent.

Having said all that...it is still very close and you really can't go wrong either way.
    Saves part is true though...missed that.
    10 Team H2H (Keep 14)
    G, A, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG
    W, GAA, SV%

Banned

Cam Ward is a MUCH better real-world goalie who hasn't had the benefit of an elite team to pad his stats...now that the Canes are improving and becoming a contender I think Ward is only going to get better and better as a fantasy option

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Cam Ward is a MUCH better real-world goalie who hasn't had the benefit of an elite team to pad his stats...now that the Canes are improving and becoming a contender I think Ward is only going to get better and better as a fantasy option
    Bingo..

Ward is a much better goalie (IMO) than Fleury is and I would take Ward over Fleury every time. Ward is always extremely underrated. The saves category just makes this a no-brainer in my opinion.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Banned

meant to post this earlier but got distracted...if we compare the two of them over the last 3 years:

GAA - identical (both at 2.55)
    S% - advantage Ward (.919 vs .912)
    Saves/gm - advantage Ward (27.6 vs 25.2)
    SOs - advantage Ward (10 vs 8)

the only thing Fleury has the advantage in is Wins but its not hard to figure out why that is...the Canes missed he playoffs twice the last 3 seasons, the Pens have won an extra 21 games over that period

Dobber Sports Genius

I will go with Ward here too. Ward is an underated goalie and his numbers will keep getting better now that his team is getting better. Fleury on the other hand is not going to have as strong of team in front of him as Crosbys head and Malkins knees are both questionable. His numbers will suffer beacause of it. If there was ever going to be a down year for Pittsburgh this will be the year.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Bingo..

Ward is a much better goalie (IMO) than Fleury is and I would take Ward over Fleury every time. Ward is always extremely underrated. The saves category just makes this a no-brainer in my opinion.
    This was pretty much my gut feeling on Ward. Fleury just has a (significant) advantage of having a better team in front of him. But it seems that Carolina is on the cusp of doing great things and Ward will benefit as well.