Thread: Varlamov or Pavelec

MacLiii

Default Varlamov or Pavelec

I Play a keeper league where you goaltending is quite important (Weekly H2H league with 5 GP per week) and a goaltenter can play no more than 3 of the 5 GP each week. My top 2 goaltenders are Lundqvist and Lehtonen and I need to choose my 3rd goaltender keeper. I'd love to keep all 4 but our scoring format makes that difficult.

I must chose between Pavelec and Varlamov as my 3rd. I am leaning towards Pavelec. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dobber Sports Ninja

What are the goaltending categories?

Assuming its W SV% GAA and SO. I'm going to take Pavelec. I'd probably take him in any format over Varlamov honestly as he's a personal favourite of mine and I think Winnipeg will be a better team than Colorado will be. Despite what others may think I think Mason is just as much of a non-factor as Giguere is to Varlamov. Winnipeg is Pav's team.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

MacLiii

It's kind of a convoluted formula, but the main categories are GAA and SV %. Depending on where they fall, their numbers are then subtracted (if very good) or added (if poor) to my opponents scoring lines. Wins/Loss don't matter. You do get some bonus points for SO.

MacLiii

Here is the scoring for my league:

OFFENSIVE SCORING - As in the NHL, BAS hockey is geared towards goal scoring. In BAS hockey, there are four different ways to score points, as well as one way to lose points.
    Assist = 1 point
    Power Play Goal = 2 points
    Even Strength Goal = 3 points
    Short Handed Goal = 4 points
    Penalty Minutes = (-1 point) for every 5 penalty minutes
    OFFENSIVE SCORING SUMMARY - Each of the three skating lines is scored individually. To figure out how many points each line scored is simple. For each line, multiply each assist by 1 and multiply each goal by 3 (Add one less point for power play goals, and add 1 additional point for short handed goals). The last step would be to divide penalty minutes by 5. Now take the four totals (assists, power play, even strength and shorthanded goals) add them together, then minus the penalty minute total. This final number is your line total.
    * When calculating penalty minutes, it is understood that every 5 penalty minutes equals 1 point minus. With this in mind, 4 penalty minutes would be no deduction, 9 penalty minutes is a 1 point deduction, etc...
    * When calculating goals, if your line scores 6 total goals, but one goal is a power play goal, and one goal is a short handed goal, your BAS point total for that line would be 18 points (4 even, 1 power play, 1 short handed) not 24 points (6 even, 1 power play, 1 short handed) See Tomcats line 3 on page 10.
    GOALTENDING - Like in the NHL, BAS goaltending plays a key part in winning. There are two categories used for goaltenders. These categories are "Save Percentage" and "Goals Against Average".
    GOALTENDER SAVE PERCENTAGE DEDUCTION CHART |GOALTENDER GOALS AGAINST DEDUCTION CHART
    94 and above->Deduct 5 points from each line|0.00-0.50->Deduct 7 points from each line
    92.50-93.99 ->Deduct 4 points from each line|0.51-1.00->Deduct 6 points from each line
    91-92.49 ---->Deduct 3 points from each line|1.01-1.50->Deduct 5 points from each line
    90-90.99 ---->Deduct 2 points from each line|1.51-2.00->Deduct 4 points from each line
    89-89.99 ---->No occurrence |2.01-2.50->Deduct 3 point from each line
    88-88.99 ---->Add 1 point to each line |2.51-2.75->Deduct 2 points from each line
    86.50-87.99 ->Add 2 point to each line |2.76-3.00->Deduct 1 point from each line
    84.50-86.49 ->Add 3 points to each line |3.01-3.25->No occurrence
    83-84.49 ---->Add 4 points to each line |3.26-3.50->Add 3 points to each line
    80-82.99 ---->Add 5 points to each line |3.51-4.00->Add 5 points to each line
    below 80 ---->Add 6 points to each line |4.01-5.00->Add 7 points to each line
    |5.01 & above>Add 10 points to each line
    GOALTENDING SCORING SUMMARY
    The goaltender is your main source of defense. Your goaltenders save percentage and goals against average is used to deduct points from your oppositions three skating lines. The same deductions are made from every line. The deductions that are made are determined by simply referring to the goaltender save percentage and goals against average deduction charts above.
    SCORING FORMULAS
    Here is the BAS scoring formulas. These formulas will be referred to after all of the offensive scoring and goaltender scoring has been calculated.
    Line 1 = Points X 2.00 divided by total games played by line 1
    Line 2 = Points X 1.50 divided by total games played by line 2
    Line 3 = Points X 1.75 divided by total games played by line 3

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by MacLiii View Post
    Here is the scoring for my league:

OFFENSIVE SCORING - As in the NHL, BAS hockey is geared towards goal scoring. In BAS hockey, there are four different ways to score points, as well as one way to lose points.
    Assist = 1 point
    Power Play Goal = 2 points
    Even Strength Goal = 3 points
    Short Handed Goal = 4 points
    Penalty Minutes = (-1 point) for every 5 penalty minutes
    OFFENSIVE SCORING SUMMARY - Each of the three skating lines is scored individually. To figure out how many points each line scored is simple. For each line, multiply each assist by 1 and multiply each goal by 3 (Add one less point for power play goals, and add 1 additional point for short handed goals). The last step would be to divide penalty minutes by 5. Now take the four totals (assists, power play, even strength and shorthanded goals) add them together, then minus the penalty minute total. This final number is your line total.
    * When calculating penalty minutes, it is understood that every 5 penalty minutes equals 1 point minus. With this in mind, 4 penalty minutes would be no deduction, 9 penalty minutes is a 1 point deduction, etc...
    * When calculating goals, if your line scores 6 total goals, but one goal is a power play goal, and one goal is a short handed goal, your BAS point total for that line would be 18 points (4 even, 1 power play, 1 short handed) not 24 points (6 even, 1 power play, 1 short handed) See Tomcats line 3 on page 10.
    GOALTENDING - Like in the NHL, BAS goaltending plays a key part in winning. There are two categories used for goaltenders. These categories are "Save Percentage" and "Goals Against Average".
    GOALTENDER SAVE PERCENTAGE DEDUCTION CHART |GOALTENDER GOALS AGAINST DEDUCTION CHART
    94 and above->Deduct 5 points from each line|0.00-0.50->Deduct 7 points from each line
    92.50-93.99 ->Deduct 4 points from each line|0.51-1.00->Deduct 6 points from each line
    91-92.49 ---->Deduct 3 points from each line|1.01-1.50->Deduct 5 points from each line
    90-90.99 ---->Deduct 2 points from each line|1.51-2.00->Deduct 4 points from each line
    89-89.99 ---->No occurrence |2.01-2.50->Deduct 3 point from each line
    88-88.99 ---->Add 1 point to each line |2.51-2.75->Deduct 2 points from each line
    86.50-87.99 ->Add 2 point to each line |2.76-3.00->Deduct 1 point from each line
    84.50-86.49 ->Add 3 points to each line |3.01-3.25->No occurrence
    83-84.49 ---->Add 4 points to each line |3.26-3.50->Add 3 points to each line
    80-82.99 ---->Add 5 points to each line |3.51-4.00->Add 5 points to each line
    below 80 ---->Add 6 points to each line |4.01-5.00->Add 7 points to each line
    |5.01 & above>Add 10 points to each line
    GOALTENDING SCORING SUMMARY
    The goaltender is your main source of defense. Your goaltenders save percentage and goals against average is used to deduct points from your oppositions three skating lines. The same deductions are made from every line. The deductions that are made are determined by simply referring to the goaltender save percentage and goals against average deduction charts above.
    SCORING FORMULAS
    Here is the BAS scoring formulas. These formulas will be referred to after all of the offensive scoring and goaltender scoring has been calculated.
    Line 1 = Points X 2.00 divided by total games played by line 1
    Line 2 = Points X 1.50 divided by total games played by line 2
    Line 3 = Points X 1.75 divided by total games played by line 3
    O.O <-- The look on my face right now
    O.o
    o.O
    O.O

I'm still gonna take Pavelec I think lol...
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    O.O <-- The look on my face right now
    O.o
    o.O
    O.O

I'm still gonna take Pavelec I think lol...
    LOL my eyes too!!
    But I agree with b0ndon, take Pavelec here.
    Derek Reese - Future Hall of Famer

14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty
    H2H, Salary Cap 108 Mil, Player actual salaries
    1 Week scoring period
    G,A,PTS,GWG,PIM,SOG,STP,HT,BL,+/-,W,GAA,SV,SO
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

F - Marchand, Marner, Marchessault, Stamkos, Tuch, Comtois, Farabee, Bennett, McCann, W. Nylander, Nugent-Hopkins, Kapanen
    D - Barrie, Oleksiak, Suter, Gudbranson, Savard, Lyubushkin, Ferraro
    G - Saros, Rittich

Bench - Mittelstadt, Reimer, Roslovic, Keller, Reaves, Toews
    Prospects - Byfield, Mercer, Veleno, Chmelevski, Tippett, Comrie, Tomasino, Valimaki, Gustavsson, Wolf

Dobber Sports Genius

Pavelec may have had that freak accident where he just passed out early last season, but he finished up the season well enough and he's a stud playing on a not so great team. Varly will always get hurt each season and will tease you a lot. There are games you think he will do well. He either lets in an early goal or a really late goal. He's so dang frustrating to watch.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Expert

I fully agree on the above statements. Pavelec might be the most undervalued goalie arround he is tremendous skills and you should def. go with him over Varly.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.