Thread: Ben Bishop possible UFA status this summer?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Ben Bishop possible UFA status this summer?

Like Mark Dekanich this last summer, who became a UFA because of the Group 6 FA status ruling in the CBA (well that is what I am assuming happened anyway, correct me if I am wrong), is it possible that Bishop could become one next summer?

From what I read in the CBA it looks like if he plays in less than 17 games (30 min or more to count) he will become a UFA. If this is true would St. Louis make sure he plays at least that many games to remain a RFA? Will it play into who has the edge for the backup role between him and Elliot?

In the title I say "this", meant 2012.
    Last edited by grindin griers; August 13, 2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Title

The King of Diatribes

Interesting question, but I seriously doubt it.

The Flyers probably had very little clue (or didn't care enough) to keep Bobrovsky out of his 60th game last season (Game 4 vs Boston in the playoffs was Game 60). If they would have kept him at 59, he wouldn't have had to clear waivers this year if they wanted to start him in Philly then send him down to Adirondack. So I personally think they didn't even have that in mind when heading into the playoffs.

I also feel kind of the same about the Blues. They may or may not care about that ruling. They're not going to play Bishop in 17 games just to keep him as an RFA. If they like the way he's playing, whether that's behind Halak or in front of Allen, they will extend him before the season is over.

So I get where you are coming from, and it's very interesting to make note of, but I doubt the Blues are going to change their goaltending plans just to cater to this rule. They are better off just signing him before the season comes to an end. Whether he's an RFA or an UFA come July 1, the Blues will still have a whole season to sign him to another contract for next season.

He has to play his way into that role. He has to play his way into 17 games ... they're not just going to give them to him for the sake of the rule =)

And that's even if they recognize it .... unlike the Flyers, who probably totally spaced the whole 60-game waiver rule. Otherwise there's no way they would have let him reach that total. There were like 3-4 games at the end of the regular season he had no right being in, but they just tossed him in there ... and it wore him down by the playoffs.