Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lehner

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Makes me feel good about owning Lehner!
    20 team H2H keeper. Keep 10. Now drafting...
    Start 2C, 2L, 2R, 2W, 2F, 4D, 1G daily
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG and W,GAA,SV%,SO

C: Getzlaf, Zetterberg, Mueller, Gerbe
    L: Parise, Elias, Prust, Pouliot
    R: Gaborik, Briere, Clarkson, Brouwer
    D: Weber, Yandle, E. Johnson, Zidlicky
    G: Howard, Gustavsson, Fasth

Farm: Toffoli, Tatar, Lehner, Josi

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'd say Lehner will start 2 years from now. Maybe next year, but for sure within 2. The sooner the Sens improve, the sooner Lehner will get his shot, providing Anderson doesn't stand on his head. It's no secret that Robin is on his way to the pro team, and is so close to being NHL ready already, he just won't be rushed.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by John_Ahlers View Post
    I'd say Lehner will start 2 years from now. Maybe next year, but for sure within 2.
    I would not bank on this. Anderson's a chronically underrated goalie. Check out these stats:

06/07 Fl GP: 5 GAA 2.21 SV% .931 SHO 0
    07/08 Fl GP: 17 GAA 2.25 SV% .935 SHO 2
    08/09 Fl GP: 31 GAA 2.71 SV% .924 SHO 3
    09/10 COL GP: 71 GAA 2.63 SV% .917 SHO 7
    10/11 COL GP: 33 GAA 3.28 SV% .897 SHO 0
    10/11 OTT GP: 18 GAA 2.05 SV% .939 SHO 2

With the exception of Colorado last year, we're talking about a goalie who has, albeit in limited time, put up pretty elite numbers. Colorado imploded last year, and I heard rumours that Anderson wasn't feeling like he was valued in contract talks. Maybe he's got some mental/emotional issues.

On the other hand, he finally gets a starting job at the age of 28 after patiently playing excellently as Vokoun's backup on a weak Florida squad, lights it up in his first year as a starter on a not terribly strong Colorado squad, and then gets lowballed hard in contract talks. I'd feel underappreciated as well.

It's pretty clear he feels appreciated in Ottawa, and he's playing accordingly. Honestly, he's a sleeper for me in both keepers and one years. I'm not gonna say Jon Quick, but...oh shit. I did.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I agree about Anderson, but Ottawa is basically Lehner's team as soon as he's ready unless Anderson is absolutely stellar. And even then, he's getting up in age.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Anderson's getting up there in age? Sort of... I agree he's no spring chicken, and in that sense the comparison to Quick doesn't quite work. But he's only 30 years old. (Elite) goalies can play well into their late 30's. Few people consider Anderson elite, but I think he has potential that way.

The Quick analogy was only to say that we've been touting Bernier as the next big thing for years. Saying "Ottawa is basically Lehner's team" is so reminiscent of how people talked about Bernier a couple years ago.

I mean think about Thomas. Hip surgery two years ago as a 37? years old and then a record setting, Vezina winning, Stanley cup winning season a year later. Granted...exception to the rule. But Thomas and Anderson are similar in that they both got a starting gig in the NHL in their 30's. Presumably his body isn't too worn down, and he can play at a high level for a number of years yet.

PS I am Craig Anderson

Banned

They're not just going to hand Lehner the job when he's ready, he will have to earn it like every other goalie in the league.

He will be brought up like Rask or Schneider. He's only 19 or 20 years old.

That's why it's a good thing that they even got Anderson. Competition is always a good thing.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I agree Ev. I'm not denying the talent. I rank him close to the same talent class as the guys you mentioned, plus Markstrom, Bernier etc.

I'm saying don't underestimate the guy in front of him.