Thread: Varlamov and Neuvirth

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Varlamov and Neuvirth

Ok, I know I have read there was a few out there that had these two guys when they were on WSH. I have them in a keeper with Lehner as my third. Now with Vokoun in WSH and making Neuvirth backup; Varly moved to Colorado and could be a starter even with a history on injuries. Where do I go now?

I've been thinking of moving Varlamov and see what I can get. I can always get better up front, so that would help open a slot for Lehner for next seasson.

Should I try to move Neuvirth? He's not worth much as a backup, but what about next season? Vokoun might stay if he's going to help WSH get farther in the play-offs.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Man, with all the fantasy managers like you that handcuffed Varlamov to Neuvirth, I just realized how tough the decision is for you folks now. I don't envy you.

I think the answer to this question can be found based on your team and league settings. Lehner is essentially useless as of this moment to your team. So I guess what you gotta do is consider how heavily goalie categories are weighed and how many goalies you start per night.

For me, under most circumstances I would rather have Varlamov who is essentially guaranteed to be the Avs starter for the near future due to the lack of depth there and the enormous package they gave up to get him.

What would be ideal is if you could maybe package a forward with Neuvirth to get an above average goaltender with a more favourable injury history than Varly, and rolling with that goalie + Varlamov.

I really don't recommend rolling with Varlamov + one backup (Neuvirth) + one not even a backup (Lehner) unless your goalie cats are completely insignificant to success (which I would bet that's not the case)
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

I...am your father.

it may be worth your while to trade Varlamov for a sure-thing starter. And the only way you can do that is if the starter you get is old. I'm thinking Brodeur, unless you can sweeten the pot to get Thomas.
    Sit on Neuvirth, but you need to make getting a second starting goaltender your top priority.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Genius

I have the duo in a limited keeper. After contemplating this for a few weeks now, I am reasonably certain I will:

Keep Varly. Perhaps hoping to trade him after a hot start.
    Release Neuvirth, and keep an eye on him in the coming draft.

They've both usurped our league Prospects quota.

Dobber Sports Initiate

SOOOOOOO very happy I traded this Duo last year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thanks for the replies everyone.

In my league we play h2h and we play two goalies. Pts for Goalies are as follows:

Games Played=1 points
    Goals=5 points
    Assists=2 points
    Penalty Minutes=2 points
    Wins=3 points
    Shutouts=5 points
    Overtime Loss=1 points
    Losses=0 points
    Goals against=-1 points
    Saves=0.25

FYI - My team is just making a turn from the rebuilding phase.

My Team:
    30 teams of 24, 10 FWD, 6 DEF, 2 ENF, 2 GLT and 4 RES
    Keeps 16

FWD: Moulson, Parenteau, Toews, Grabovski, O'Reilly, Versteeg, Morrison, Kovalev, Perreault, Niederreiter, Filatov, Miettinen
    DEF: Gilbert, Rozsival, Alzner, Lepisto, Ericsson, Engelland
    ENF: Cooke, Ruutu
    GLT: Varlamov, Neuvirth, Lehner, Bachman