Thread: Markstrom vs. Holtby. The decision.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Markstrom vs. Holtby. The decision.

There seems to be an endless supply of JM and BH comparasin threads, but no threads including them both.

Here's the dilemma. JM is the better goalie, but relevance for the next 2 years is questionable.

BH has a chance to shine, but probably not until next year.

My team (not listed) is not competing. And I have two offers. You play three goalies per season, with a min of 25 goalie starts.

Offer A is My Marleau for Markstrom.
    Offer B is My M. Koivu for Holtby.

Both players are uber expensive, and I'm pretty set at Wing. Centre? Eh, I'm so so.

So, do I take offer A or B? Or do I chance it and take both? What are your thoughts on the deals?
    Last edited by Chico Resch; July 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM.
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SHP,GWG,H,BS,W,SV%,SA,SO
    12 Man H2H Salary Keeper League
    C - S.Crosby/S.Monahan/G.Landeskog(lw)/W.Karlsson
    LW- T.Hall/B.Rust(lw)/N.Hoglander
    RW - J.Guentzel(lw)/ T.Tatar(lw)/J.Pulujaarvi/K.Kapanen(lw)
    D - B.Burns/E.Karlsson/M.Heiskanen/J.Carlson
    G - I.Sorokin/I.Shesterkin/T.Demko/C.Peterson/C.Talbot
    Farm - C.Primeau/P.Kochetov/C.Caufield/E.Svechnikov

Dobber Sports Legend

Chico,

Who are your other goalies? How bad do you need Markstrom/Holtby? How expendable is someone like Marleau on your team? Knowing these answers would be helpful.

But, off the cuff, I would be in favor of adding Jacob Markstrom in a deep keeper. I think he will be a very good NHL goalie in 1-2 years; an elite one in 3-4 years.

Holtby has great potential as well, but he has Vokoun in front of him short-term and competition from Neuvirth long-term. Markstrom is in a golden situation in Florida, with the future starting job his to lose.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Chico,

Who are your other goalies? How bad do you need Markstrom/Holtby? How expendable is someone like Marleau on your team? Knowing these answers would be helpful.

But, off the cuff, I would be in favor of adding Jacob Markstrom in a deep keeper. I think he will be a very good NHL goalie in 1-2 years; an elite one in 3-4 years.

Holtby has great potential as well, but he has Vokoun in front of him short-term and competition from Neuvirth long-term. Markstrom is in a golden situation in Florida, with the future starting job his to lose.

Fung, my need of these guys isn't immediate. Goalie starts we need 25 of them per year. I doubt either one of them makes that number this year. But obviously, the price gets higher as the season goes along.

Let's do a real simple breakdown of my team. It's pretty confusing, but here's the crux.

Centre (keep 4) E. Staal, J. Staal, Seguin, Parenteau, Frolik, Granlund, M. Koivu
    Winger (keep 8) Marleau, Hall, Filatov, MPS, Okposo, Kadri, Fleishmann, Jeffrey, Versteeg, Boedker, Ryder, McLean
    Goalie (keep 3) Kiprusoff, Ward, Dubnyk, M. Smith, Labarbara, Lack

At Goalie, Kiprusoff will probably be moved at the deadline.

Does this help you in forming an opinion if I take deal A, deal B, both or none?

Dobber Sports Genius

Holtby. I'd count on him for ZERO starts this coming year. Injury will be required. Vokoun should add the level of stability the franchise has not had since Ollie Kolzig. He had a great start to his NHL career last year, but a season (minimum) in the AHL won't hurt him any. He produced nicely in his first two professional seasons. He has come a long way in a short time. Holtby, as far as this season is concerned, is in the wrong place at the wrong time. That is not necessarily the case for the long term.

Markstrom should get you your 25 starts now. His numbers in the AHL last year were respectable, on a very average team. I wanted more. However, it was also a season of cultural adjustment. If the Cats have troubles, I hope they dump them on Theodore's shoulders, and don't mess with Markstrom's head. Of course, he's also a candidate for a full blown break out. (see S Mason, Price, Crawford, Salak, Niemi...)

Marleau. Look for more 70's. Koivu look for more 70's. Both are legitimate, as indicated by their contracts. When evaluating stability, I like to reference contracts. If a guy is making monster money, this is a great sign of stability. Very often it is wise to take on the largest amount of salary in a deal, providing you are not a cap league.

I won't try and evaluate what the value is in regard to what the forwards are in comparison to the goaltenders. From afar it seems like it is potentially a lot.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Chico Resch View Post
    Fung, my need of these guys isn't immediate. Goalie starts we need 25 of them per year. I doubt either one of them makes that number this year. But obviously, the price gets higher as the season goes along.

Let's do a real simple breakdown of my team. It's pretty confusing, but here's the crux.

Centre (keep 4) E. Staal, J. Staal, Seguin, Parenteau, Frolik, Granlund, M. Koivu
    Winger (keep 8) Marleau, Hall, Filatov, MPS, Okposo, Kadri, Fleishmann, Jeffrey, Versteeg, Boedker, Ryder, McLean
    Goalie (keep 3) Kiprusoff, Ward, Dubnyk, M. Smith, Labarbara, Lack

At Goalie, Kiprusoff will probably be moved at the deadline.

Does this help you in forming an opinion if I take deal A, deal B, both or none?
    If you get to keep 3 goalies, I would trade for Markstrom and keep him, Kiprosoff and Ward. To answer your original question: I would trade Marleau for Markstrom, but you will need to address your W in the draft - will need to add 2-3 good ones.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Markstrom is the better option for sure. Marleau seems a steep price to pay though.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Marleau seems a steep price to pay though.
    No doubt. But if Chico is banking on Markstrom being a future horse, a good winger like Marleau is easier to find that a young, elite G - at least that's my thought process.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Ace

Man I have Markstrom and if someone offered me marleau I'd be thrilled.

I think it's going to take some time for markstrom to hit 70 points especially in Florida.

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks all. I got Markstrom and Bobby Butler for Marleau