Thread: Crawford, Bob, Varly, Holtby

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Crawford, Bob, Varly, Holtby

Looking for goalie advice in my keeper league. I have been competative last 2 years, but not close to winning. Based on the theory that teams should be able to rebuild with a 3 year horizon, I am going into my third year after a rebuild in year one (had no idea what I was doing when drafted in year one).

At the end of the year I had 4 goalies, none of whom were solid hands down starters. It looks like Crawford has solidified the #1 slot on a pretty decent team. Its looks like Hotlby and Bobrovsky will be non-factors this year, and Varlamov is playing on a week team and is injury prone.

My league (see sig line) over values goalies b/c of the number of scoring catagories there are, so goalies are very important. I must drop 6 players, so am looking to drop 2 goalies. With my young team I am not expecting to win this year, but I would like to compete for top 3. Any advice provided is appreciated.

cheers - back check
    14 team standard yahoo keeper league (82 games for 4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, and 1G). 23 man roster. No farm.
    Plyer Cats = G, A, P, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, HTS, BLKS, SH%, PIM's
    Goal Cats = GAA, SV%, SHTS, W, and SO

C - Getzlaf, Toews, Stamkos, Giroux, B. Nelson
    RW - P. Kane, Coyle , Nyquist, Dubinsky
    LW - L. Eriksson, Pacioretty, Kreider, Schwartz
    D - Faulk, Klinberg, Brodie, Dekyser, Vatannan, Despres, Daley, Pouliot
    G - Crawford, Allen, Dubnyk

Dobber Sports Stud

I think you've gotta go with Crawford. Impressive rookie season and a clear cut #1. Bobrovsky:
    I've read is just as, if not more, talented than Varlamov but needs some time to adjust to North American style play. He is rumored to be traded - to where? I don't know.
    Holtby:
    I'm not sure how to assess because I think Neuvirth is the real deal, so he will be a non-factor for next season and then may be getting back up duties unless he's traded - to much uncertainty here.
    Varlamov:
    "There was a stereotype that Varlamov is injury prone. But his father said it was because he received improper medical treatment from Washington Capitals medical staff.
    He is in a good shape! When Semyon returned to Russia after the season, we conducted a thorough medical examination. We did not find any scars in those places where there previously were groin injuries. In fact the treatment by Capitals medical staff is problematic. The doctors in Russia are better. The Washington Capitals doctor would say, "He is alright, he can play.", but Semyon felt that he still had a sore knee. So he goes out and play and again gets injured. And the injury was not even too serious, but he couldn't continue to play." Take that for what it's worth, but Colorado could be looking good pretty soon, and he is in position to be the #1 right now and for the future.

So in conclusion:
    Crawford + Bobrovsky/Varlamov.
    I would lean for Varlamov at this point in time, but that's just me. I like to try to compete every year and I think Varlamov has a better opportunity right now than Bobrovsky. That said if Bob gets traded, then his value may rise.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks Jeffl97.

I tend to agree wiht your assessment. Although Crawfor is not well established, I think Chicago gives him the starting job. Had a great year last year. My only fear is I drafted him last year, and the year before that Niemi, on the basis that Quinville has a short leash on his goalies and its not uncommon on his teams to find the back up being the starter. Is ther a danger of that happening in Chicago this year? I guess I have no idea b/c I have no idea who the back up will be.

The safest route is then to stick Varly as my #2. At the very least will pad the shots on goal stat on a young Colorado team. I agree that his rep as injury prone is a bit unfair. I really liked him in Washington and think he ran into some bad luck and a lot of good young goalie competition. He is really just a kid in goalie years, so may have more long term upside as Colorado matures and gets better (I hope).

Assuming Bob is not traded, and assuming I wanted to hold a third goalie for long term plans do you think Bob gets to the show quicker in Philly or Holtby in D.C.?

thanks for your input - back check.
    14 team standard yahoo keeper league (82 games for 4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, and 1G). 23 man roster. No farm.
    Plyer Cats = G, A, P, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, HTS, BLKS, SH%, PIM's
    Goal Cats = GAA, SV%, SHTS, W, and SO

C - Getzlaf, Toews, Stamkos, Giroux, B. Nelson
    RW - P. Kane, Coyle , Nyquist, Dubinsky
    LW - L. Eriksson, Pacioretty, Kreider, Schwartz
    D - Faulk, Klinberg, Brodie, Dekyser, Vatannan, Despres, Daley, Pouliot
    G - Crawford, Allen, Dubnyk

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Crawford is a no brainer to me. He was extremely impressive against Vancouver in the first round and is signed (cap friendly) for three more years. He's not going anywhere and Chicago is one of the best teams in the league.

I would keep Varly out of the other three based on his situation. Clear cut number 1. Short term, Holtby will spend the year in the minors, and long term he has Neuvy to contend with. Bobrovsky is a straight up wild card at this point.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by back check View Post
    My only fear is I drafted him last year, and the year before that Niemi, on the basis that Quinville has a short leash on his goalies and its not uncommon on his teams to find the back up being the starter. Is ther a danger of that happening in Chicago this year? I guess I have no idea b/c I have no idea who the back up will be.
    I think Crawford should be safe this season. The biggest reason there's been a goalie switch the last two years in Chicago, is because the original starters were awful goalies both times. Huet and then Turco. Crawford doesn't look like he'll have to worry about that, so he is a no-brainer.

Do you have to make your keeper decision right now? If you can wait it would benefit you nicely. Bobrovsky looks to definitely be on the trade block, and if he can land a #1 or 1B type job, I would take him over Varly or Holtby.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Ace

Crawford/varlamov is the easy decision here.5
    They're both starters, the other two are not with serious tenders in front of then.

On a side note; you have a really solid core. With a couple of shrewd moves and a left wing improvment,you could really suprise.
    F: P. Kane, Oshie, N. Foligno, Thorton, Coyle, Marleau, Pavelski, Dubinsky
    Steen
    D: seabrooke, Subban,wizniewski,garrison, Carle
    G: Niemi, Fleury,

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts
    Win-2pts Shutouts- 5pts(2+3)
    Keep 10. Top 13 count (4 d, 1 g, 6 Frwd and next highest-any position)

Dobber Sports Superstar

If you are trying to compete now, then I think Crawford and Varlamov seem like the only choices because they will be starters to begin the season. That could change if Bob is traded, but right now, you can't count on that and have to go with what you know.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ovi42 View Post
    Crawford/varlamov is the easy decision here.5
    They're both starters, the other two are not with serious tenders in front of then.

On a side note; you have a really solid core. With a couple of shrewd moves and a left wing improvment,you could really suprise.
    Exactly how I feel as well. You have a pretty solid team, I could see it taking it down this year if a couple of your D can get their sh*t together and you can get some consistent goaltending.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!