Thread: Goalie keeper hell

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Goalie keeper hell

Right now I have a horrible situation in goal. (team in sig)

My potentials are:

Hiller
    Brodeur
    Roloson
    Nabokov

Which 2 do you keep, or would you only keep one and go for another forward.

I am scared that Hiller may not be healthy at the start since they signed yet another goalie (Deslauriers).

Brodeur really put up excellent numbers but only after the all-star break. He's got maybe one year left in him.

Rolly just signed another year on TB which will be improved from last year.

Nabby may go to NYI but is that really an option for keeper? He's pretty much the only guy i wouldn't go for.
    League 1: 12 teams (drafted 10th) - Standard public Yahoo league - G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG - W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Initiate

i keep Hiller and Brodeur.

Hiller should be healthy and Brodeur was his old self again after the coach replacemnt.

What i would probably do is try and trade brodeur, and/or roloson for a younger quality goalie. If a team has one strong goalie, maybe try and trade both for that one.
    UFHP - Y! 12 GMs - 23/8 pro/farm - keep 17 + all farm
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, FW; GS, W, L, GA, GAA, SA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Backstrom, Crosby, Little, Zetterberg, Rask
    LW: Foligno, Ehlers, Skinner, Hartnell, Jokinen, Ladd
    RW: Tarasenko, Kessel, Nash, Marner
    D: Keith, Karlsson, Klingberg, Werenski, Barrie, Manson
    G: Price, Murray, Andersen

Farm:
    C: Keller
    LW: Fiala, Heinen
    RW: Gurianov
    D: Sergachev, Beaulieu, Manning, Borowiecki
    G: Forsberg, Driedger

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Unfortunately, our league doesn't allow trades in the off-season. So basically it's those and those alone.

I honestly think Hiller and Brodeur are my best options but if Hiller isn't healthy is Roloson a horrible keeper? I know I'll be drafting a goalie first and foremost. Hiller was supposed to be my new #1.
    League 1: 12 teams (drafted 10th) - Standard public Yahoo league - G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG - W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Ninja

Haha, I can understand your dilemma.

I'd take Hiller and Brodeur. If Hiller can get healthy he's easily the best option here for me.
    Between the battle of the retiring vets I'll take Brodeur.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Stud

Thats a crap spot.... Hiller and Brodeur for me to though.
    Two Stroke Hockey League - Points only, full keeper
    Capwise Full Keeper H2H Roto Leagues: East Coast Fantasy League,
    Icey Cups Fantasy Hockey League - H2H Points, Full Keeper

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I would probably only keep Hiller in this league and look to redraft Brodeur and/or Roloson and sit on one of Ennis/Voracek/Myers/Fowler.

Doesn't really make sense to me to keep two goalies in a keep 6 - 10 team league. Be really nice if you had a super solid skater option for the 6th keeper though and you really don't - so Brodeur would roll back into the picture for me - you certainly won't have to draft goaltending early.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    I would probably only keep Hiller in this league and look to redraft Brodeur and/or Roloson and sit on one of Ennis/Voracek/Myers/Fowler.

Doesn't really make sense to me to keep two goalies in a keep 6 - 10 team league. Be really nice if you had a super solid skater option for the 6th keeper though and you really don't - so Brodeur would roll back into the picture for me - you certainly won't have to draft goaltending early.
    this is how i would play it....rarely will shoeless lead you astray. with PIMs, i may even be inclined to hold Downie. definitely hold Hiller and choose aonther skater to keep.
    10 team, H2H Points, Limited Keeper (1C,2W,2D,1G,1 non G)

18 man roster plus 2 IR spots [20 total]
    start 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G; daily lineup changes

Stats: G,A,PPG,ENG,SHG,GWG,OTG,ShootOut Goals/Attemtps,Hat Tricks,+/-,FOW,PIMs,Majors,Misconducts,Hits,Blocked Shots
    Goalies Stats: W,Saves,Goals Against,SO

C: Tavares, Koivu, Backstrom, Johansen
    W: Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Komarov, Forsberg, Jenner
    D: Hedman, Ekblad, Niskanen, Yandle, Campbell
    G: Holtby, Schneider, Hammond
    IR: Anderson, Faulk

Dobber Sports Ninja

I definitely stand corrected. I didnt notice the keep 6 part my mistake.

Go with what Shoeless said. my ranking stays the same.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Crap. i just lost everything i wrote. But the jist of it is that i should have added that the others have already declared their keepers and alot of people had 2-3 goalies each so there's a huge drop-off in goaltending quality because of that.

Guys already locked up are
    Lundy
    Luongo
    Niemi
    Price
    Crawford
    Bryz
    Thomas
    Anderson
    Halak
    Kipper
    Miller
    Vokoun
    Crawford
    Quick
    Rinne
    Ward
    Backstrom

that's 17 goalies aside from mine and to be honest. Most of those are the True #1s out there for this upcoming season. I'll be going after a young G like Schneider/Bernier/Markstrom towards the end of the draft (fingers crossed) but there's little room to get a decent one.

But I guess by that logic they probably won't draft too many. Only the 3 guys with Miller, Quick and Backstrom selected 1 goalie.

C:
    LW:
    RW:
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Genius

Yeah, and out of that group that Shoeless mention I'd say go for Myers. He'll have a bounceback season and the Sabres are going to get better with Pegula throwing money around.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Ninja

Huh...that's surprising. I guess with 40% of stats for goalies everyone places a really high value on them.

That leaves: Thomas, Fleury, Roloson, Brodeur, Reimer, Pavelec, Howard, Lehtonen, Mason, Varlamov as viable starters.

What is the earliest pick that you have? Also do you start two goalies a night, and is this a H2H league?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Hiller and Brodeur by a country mile. Hiller says he is healthy again and plays for a top-4 team in the West. Brodeur is getting old but the Devils will return to the playoffs for sure this year. He will pick you up a lot of W's.

Go with Hillsy and Marty.
    12 team dynasty keeper league
    NHL size roster (23)
    Skater cats: G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SOG, SHP, PIMs, H, BS
    G cats: W, SV%, GA, SO's
    Start: 4LW, 4C, 4RW, 6D, 2G

LW: Parise, Vanek, Clowe, Tedenby
    C: Getzlaf, Kopitar, Nielsen, Burmistrov,
    RW: Pominville, Wheeler, Parenteau, D'Agostini
    D: Karlsson, Ekman-Larsson, Bogosian, A. McDonald, Volchenkov, L. Schenn
    G: Fleury, Lehtonen
    B: Pavelec (G), Wolski (LW), TJ Oshie (C)

Dobber Sports Ace

Interesting dilemma, Boog. Shoeless gives some good advice. I guess one thing you have to remember is that this is a keeper league.

Unless you think Brodeur or Roloson will help lead you to the promised land this year, then you have to opt for Hiller.

I'm in a keeper league with different rules and Brodeur and Roloson are my two keepers. I have Lindback and Holtby on the farm. I'm hoping for one more good year out of Marty and Rolly and that's it.

As b0ndon pointed out, though, 40% of league cats are goalie cats so if you have a good feeling about one of those guys (Brodeur or Roloson) then keep one of them. Otherwise, take your chances in the draft but you better grab another No. 1 early.

One think about Jersey and their coaching change, though. Brodeur righted the ship after Lemaire replaced MacLean, but Lemaire retired. They're back to Square 1 with the coaches now. Hopefully, Brodeur will stay healthy and the new coach will be a better fit than MacLean.

I actually have more confidence in Roloson this year, than Brodeur. I'm a huge fan of Guy Boucher and I think that franchise has turned the corner. Rolly still has lots of game left.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

Dobber Sports Veteran

You won't go wrong following Shoeless's advice imo.

I think the key thing to do is to make a decision, then follow through, ...the half step is the biggest danger to you.

What I mean is, that if you decide to go with Hiller, and opt to keep Brodeur as an insurance policy, ...then don't spend an early pick on a goaltender with limited keeper potential, ....maybe wait later and get one of the scraps like Lehtonen.

Conversely, if you opt to protect Myers instead of Brodeur, ... grab the best goaltender available at the first opportunity, ...lke Fleury, Howard, or Pavelec (particularly Fleury), then later on grab one of the "potential" guys like Rask, Bernier, Riermer, Mason etc.

I know Bordeur seems timeless, but NJ's gonna be a tough team to play behind, he's another year older, ...he's a stopgap and probably has a good year left in him, ...but that may not translate into great stats.

Roloson's probably a safe bet too, ...but won't give you elite stats. Hiller has a chance to do that, but Brodeur (unless someone jumps the gun based on his name value) and Roloson should be guys you can draft back, ...personally I''d probably opt for Hiller, set my sights on Fleury, then if that failed, ...I'd wait and grab one of the second tier guys.

But, that's just my opinion, Good Luck whatever you decide!
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)