Thread: Halak, Hiller, Thomas

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Halak, Hiller, Thomas

G points in my pool calculated as 2 for a W, 3 extra points for a SO, 1 point for an OT loss, and a -1 for a regulation loss.

The -1 makes good G on average teams very mediocre as it hammers their point totals.

For the next season how do you rate the 3 G listed in the thread title. I kind of assume Thomas is the best, but by how large a margin considering Halak will almost certainly start more games and the team won't have a Cup hangover.

All thoughts an opinions welcome. In particular I'm interested in the GAP you see between these 3. Are they close?

EDIT...last year Thomas totaled 87 points in 57 GP largely b/c he had only 11 regulation losses and 9 SO. Ridiculous totals. Halak had 54 points in 57 GP largely b/c he had 21 regulation losses. Hiller had 49 points in 49 GP due to a respectable 16 regulation losses.
    Last edited by andrewklassen; July 5, 2011 at 12:04 PM.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Ninja

Geeze, why can't people just ask easy questions

lol kidding. Personally, I think given your scoring settings I'll take Thomas + Halak here.

Thomas is Thomas...that really doesn't need much more explaining, but I will anyways. People on the boards have made a great point that Thomas will likely remain as the #1 goaltender considering how Rask will be an RFA at the end of next year. Why play him more to pay him more right? So I would expect Thomas to start a similar amount of games (i.e. 50-55). He should post up quite a large number of wins, and really keeps his team in the game which = shutouts + OTL's.

As for why I chose Halak. Halak is a brilliant goaltender and has shown over the past couple of seasons that he can post the shutouts . I would expect him to post 5-8 shutouts next season (which is pure guesswork on my part). As well, I think St.Louis will be a much improved team this year and will put up a few more W's. I would expect Halak to start between 55-60 games, with the possibility of a couple more. Toss in the Hiller vertigo issue, and I'll take Halak.

Anyhoo that's my two cents.

Edit: Woops sorry, I didn't answer your question really

Thomas

Halak
    Hiller

Would be how I rank them.
    Last edited by bondon; July 5, 2011 at 12:14 PM.

Dobber Sports Giant

thomas

hiller and halak are a wash to me.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Expert

Thanks guys. You're confirming what I already know, but am trying to convince myself of otherwise. There's no way Thomas keeps this pace up. One has to think the points totals are coming back down at least a little. I think the team will continue to give Rask a lot of opportunities b/c they want him to grow into their #1 over the next couple of seasons. I see Thomas starting about 60% [48-53 games].

I too am leery of Hiller's health. The million dollar question here is actually, how much better will STL be this coming season? Their young core is getting scary and the offensive talent in their D corps is excellent. I don't see a lot of defensive D though. Losing Brewer sucks for Halak owners.

Any other thoughts?
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thomas
    2007 - 57 GP, 28 Wins, 2.44 GAA, .921 SV%
    2008 - 54 GP, 36 Wins, 2.10 GAA, .933 SV%
    2009 - 43 GP, 17 Wins, 2.56 GAA, .915 SV%
    2010 - 57 GP, 35 Wins, 2.00 GAA, .938 SV%

Hiller
    2007 - 23 GP, 10 Wins, 2.06 GAA, .927 SV%
    2008 - 46 GP, 23 Wins, 2.39 GAA, .919 SV%
    Beginning of starter role:
    2009 - 59 GP, 30 Wins, 2.73 GAA, .918 SV%
    2010 - 49 GP, 26 Wins, 2.56 GAA, .924 SV%

Here's a case for Hiller over Thomas.

1. Age difference. Hiller is 29, Thomas is 37. Can Thomas be like Roloson and continue to roll is there going to be sharp drop off soon?
    2. Competition. Rask. He's certainly capable of taking the reins. Just look at what he did in 2009 when he split starts with Thomas. There is no one like that in ANA.
    3. Thomas has had one mediocre year sandwitched between two stellar ones. Is another regression coming next year?
    4. Hiller is a terrific goalie and he showed us what he's capable of last year before he got injured. His GAA is a little high but that is a consequence of ANA giving up tons of shots and good scoring opportunities. His SV% is excellent every year.

By far, the biggest reason not to choose Hiller at this point is his health issue. If I were assessing a vertigo-free Hiller, I think I would have no hesitation choosing him over Thomas.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.