Thread: Neuvirth

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Neuvirth

Assuming Varlamov is not in Washington next year what can we expect from Neuvirth? Is Holtby a threat next year/long term? In a pool that counts only wins and shutouts would you consider Neuvirth to be a top ten goalie?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The Boudreau Factor.
    Nobody knows with BB.
    The only thing we know is that he will go with whoever is winning.

Neuvirth is good, but not great.
    Holtby is also good, but not great.
    Holtby is definitely a threat.

I still expect Washington to win 3 out of every 5 games.
    Neuvirth should start ~50 games, that's 30 wins. Guess about 3 shutouts.
    Holtby should start ~30 games, that's 18 wins. Guess about 2 shutouts.

If you use a W=2, SO=3 point system, that's ~70pts for Neuvirth.
    That will land him somewhere around 15th best goalie in the NHL.
    Definitely not in the top 10 (Lundy,Lu,Miller,Rinne,Price,Bryz,Quick,Ward,Niemi ,Crawford)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Holtby is certainly a thread next year and long-term. He has elite goalie potential and all it would take for him to take over the starter job is an extended Neuvirth injury.

I do not consider Neuvirth a top 10 goalie at this point. I need to see more of him, at least one more year as a solid starter.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Solid analysis from Pengwin7, as always. Looks like he and I posted at almost the same time.

I would slightly disagree with his statement that Holtby is good but not great. I think he has elite goalie potential, which he has shown so far, both in Hershey and when he was called up last year.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Neuvirth is good, but not great.
    Holtby is also good, but not great.
    Holtby is definitely a threat.

That will land him somewhere around 15th best goalie in the NHL.
    Definitely not in the top 10 (Lundy,Lu,Miller,Rinne,Price,Bryz,Quick,Ward,Niemi ,Crawford)
    On the list you have provided Rinne, Price, Bryz, Quick, Ward, Niemi and Crawford have dippen in and out of the top 10 over the last 3 years. They are not my top 10 and I doubt they will be yours by the end of the year.

Neuvirth was so highly rated over the last few years. Only Bernier in LA was comparable and most information said Neuvirth had a higher upside and a calmer demeanor, not to mention a powerhouse team and a quicker path to the #1 spot. I was all over Neuvirth and now Varlamov his main competition is gone.

Rating Goalies is simply an impossible science once you get through the top VETERANS who have proven their value year in and year out.

Goalies are like beautiful women at a bar. At a glance WOW. As you approach "TOP 10" . A little conversation SEXY AS HELL. Back to your place "hottest ever". In all the commotion and emotion you get a little lost in the excitement and your own ego for finding this perfect woman.

Then the morning comes. The lights are on, the makeup is off, beer goggles are nowhere to be found. She is still beautiful but a little obnoxious, slightly annoying, quite an attitude, either has a lisp or is chewing on something, way shorter without heels, may or may not have had work done...... definitely not as hot as the woman I saw on my way to work last week, or my first girlfriend or .... and the cycle continues.

This is our fantasy hockey life. Forever chasing the "perfect woman/goalie".

And when that woman does come along, you DO NOT FLIP IT FOR THE NEXT YOUNG HOTTIE AND A FEW DRAFT PICKS. You keep her, cherish her, appreciate her and marry her. Because goalies like truly beautiful women are that hard to find. (yes my wife is reading over my shoulder as I type).

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    On the list you have provided Rinne, Price, Bryz, Quick, Ward, Niemi and Crawford have dippen in and out of the top 10 over the last 3 years. They are not my top 10 and I doubt they will be yours by the end of the year.

Neuvirth was so highly rated over the last few years. Only Bernier in LA was comparable and most information said Neuvirth had a higher upside and a calmer demeanor, not to mention a powerhouse team and a quicker path to the #1 spot. I was all over Neuvirth and now Varlamov his main competition is gone.

Rating Goalies is simply an impossible science once you get through the top VETERANS who have proven their value year in and year out.

Goalies are like beautiful women at a bar. At a glance WOW. As you approach "TOP 10" . A little conversation SEXY AS HELL. Back to your place "hottest ever". In all the commotion and emotion you get a little lost in the excitement and your own ego for finding this perfect woman.

Then the morning comes. The lights are on, the makeup is off, beer goggles are nowhere to be found. She is still beautiful but a little obnoxious, slightly annoying, quite an attitude, either has a lisp or is chewing on something, way shorter without heels, may or may not have had work done...... definitely not as hot as the woman I saw on my way to work last week, or my first girlfriend or .... and the cycle continues.

This is our fantasy hockey life. Forever chasing the "perfect woman/goalie".

And when that woman does come along, you DO NOT FLIP IT FOR THE NEXT YOUNG HOTTIE AND A FEW DRAFT PICKS. You keep her, cherish her, appreciate her and marry her. Because goalies like truly beautiful women are that hard to find. (yes my wife is reading over my shoulder as I type).
    Nice, and believe it or not this actually makes a whole lot of sense!

Dobber Sports Pro

Holtby is a serious threat. Maybe not this season but next season if Neuvirth doesnt steal games when it counts, I predict Holtby will take over.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by DuklaNation View Post
    Holtby is a serious threat. Maybe not this season but next season if Neuvirth doesnt steal games when it counts, I predict Holtby will take over.
    Ditto. That's why I went out this offseason to acquire Holtby. Some might think I overpaid, but fortune favours the bold.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Chuk - I love ya bro... but you just touched off my fantasy pet peeve.
    If you are going to show up and say "I disagree", that's fine, if you post your list.

It's like:
    Joe Schmoe says: "Alexander Ovechkin will win the Hart".
    Bob Smith retorts: "No, he won't. He doesn't win it every year."
    (That's a weak, weak response. C'mon Bob... who's your pick?!)

I showed you mine, show me yours.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Chuk - I love ya bro... but you just touched off my fantasy pet peeve.
    If you are going to show up and say "I disagree", that's fine, if you post your list.

I showed you mine, show me yours.
    Just for you Pengwin.... you know I hate when you are peeved.....

For this upcoming season Top 10 Goalies (standard cats)
    Lundy
    Miller
    Luongo
    Fleury
    Thomas
    Quick
    Rinne
    Price
    Ward
    Neuvirth (LOL. just kidding but my list gets hazy here)

The bottom line is that the "top ten goalies" has a few tiers to it and can change drastically from year to year.
    Miller was top 3 before the olympics
    Halak was right there after the playoff run in MTL
    How is Thomas not on your list or are you thinking Rask this year?
    Price, Niemi and Crawford nowhere to be found 2 years ago

I was not really challenging the list, more pointing out how fickle we all are when choosing "great" goalies.
    When it comes to goalies (like women) the only think I know is that I really do not know.

Dobber Sports Ace

Just for you Pengwin.... you know I hate when you are peeved.....

For this upcoming season Top 10 Goalies (standard cats)
    Lundy
    Miller
    Luongo
    Fleury
    Thomas
    Quick
    Rinne
    Price
    Ward
    Neuvirth (LOL. just kidding but my list gets hazy here)

The bottom line is that the "top ten goalies" has a few tiers to it and can change drastically from year to year.
    Miller was top 3 before the olympics
    Halak was right there after the playoff run in MTL
    How is Thomas not on your list or are you thinking Rask this year?
    Price, Niemi and Crawford nowhere to be found 2 years ago

I was not really challenging the list, more pointing out how fickle we all are when choosing "great" goalies.
    When it comes to goalies (like women) the only think I know is that I really do not know.

Would you have Bryz in that list if he was still on PHO? I'm trying to decipher who you hate...the Flyers or Bryzgalov... and why.

Bryz finished 4th in my league... only Price, Thomas and Ward finished higher in fantasy points, and the 5th ranked goalie was not very close to Bryz (Lundy). Luongo was just after Lundy, and that will continue as long as they have Schneider.

Plus, Bryz finished even better the year prior... yet no love? and don't give me that "Tippet Scheme" BS... it is very much (statistically speaking) like Philly's defense...only Philly will score many more goals - yes even this year.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)