Thread: Halak, Quick or Howard: Who would you trade?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Halak, Quick or Howard: Who would you trade?

Hi, I'm having a hell of a hard time with this. League in my signature - I don't have to trade one of them, but I think I will trade one this off-season. Question is, other things being equal (i.e. assuming each could fetch the exact same return), I'm having a hard time figuring out which is the least valuable to me in my deep, salary cap keeper league:

Quick, 25 years old, $1.8 / $1.7.
    Howard, 27 years old, $2.25 / $2.25.
    Halak, 26 years old, $3.5 / $4.25, $4.5.

All are on good teams (but STL still hasn't punched through). Quick has the Bernier factor (which doesn't appear to be as big a threat this off-season as last off-season).

I asked Angus in one of his mailbags and he said Howard would be the one to go. I asked Justin G a couple of months or so ago in one his mailbags and he said Halak is the odd guy out, but Howard would fetch the most.

So I thought I'd put it out for further advice. I already know that keeping all 3 is an option but for the sake of advice, assume I am trading one of them. I know there's a very similar post (involving two of these goalies and Rask) but I didn't want to hijack that.

Thanks
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Wow... 9pts for a win & only 5pts for a SO.

Howard would have been the easy choice, IMO, until I saw those scoring settings.
    Combined with his low salary, he is very valuable.

I still have this haunting little outside feeling that Detroit could be a sleeper to sign Tomas Vokoun. If for some reason, this happens - Howard's value becomes 0.

For that reason, you may want to try and move him:

1. Issue a league statement: "I'm looking to trade one of my goalies at a reasonable discount for an upgrade at forward or D." Use a term like "reasonable discount", even if you are lying a bit to bring people in. Let people come to you. Hopefully, you'll get a fish that is interested in Howard.

2. See if anything pops up and come back with your trade offers.

IMO, Halak & Quick have a very firm grasp on their #1 positions for next year.
    Bernier could become the #1 in LA, but I don't think that happens next year.

Dobber Sports Initiate

If I had to toss one of those, I'd also pick Howard too.

His salary's an advantage to be sure but with Rafalski gone and Lidstrom stringing along one-year deals until he decides to stop (or age finally forces his hand), I'd be worried about Kronwall and company maintaining the D. Plus, I still don't sense that Howard's been able to establish himself as an elite talent in his own right or his stats are more of a virtue of the team he plays for.

Plus, his team's average age is creeping over the 30-year mark.

All in all, time to sell high on Howard?
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Jenner Frost Novak ---Rossi Cooley MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson Yager
    LW: Caufield Fiala Hagel Nichushkin ---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brink Kakko ---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan Lekkerimaki
    D : Theodore Seider Chabot Gostisbehere Liljegren Carlo ---Edvinsson
    G : Montembault Hart ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Zellweger Fehervary

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts
    2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Stud

Thanks both. Great insight and the fact you both agree Howard (which is what Angus said also) is helpful.

I did send a league-wide email saying I'm considering moving one of my starters and would consider offers - I got a quite a bit of interest, but mostly bad offers (Kulemin for Halak) or answers like "what do you want?" so I think I have to take a more targeted approach. I've considered trading a goalie and getting Benn in a return package, also Seguin - but advice I've received to date is that I should be getting more.
    pool points:
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev

Dobber Sports Expert

Thoughts...

The two G who are most entrenched as the #1 guys are Howard and Halak. Nobody with any pedigree is pushing them.

The two G with the best peripheral #s indicating they're the best pure talent...Quick and Halak.

The two G who have a track record of playing over 60 games in at least two NHL seasons...Howard and Quick.

The two G who have cleared 35 wins in at least 2 NHL seasons...Howard and Quick.

There are pros and cons to any decision you make here, but I think Halak is the odd man out. STL is going to take the next step one of these years, but hasn't yet and Halak has never played 60 games in a season and has never even won 30 in a season. This doesn't mean I don't believe in him, but solidifies why I think you have to hang onto the other two G.

LA has tried to give Bernier a chance to take the reigns, but Quick has only improved and he's looking less and less like bridge to Bernier.

DET has a history of not putting huge dollars in net and in allowing their picks to slowly grow into NHL roles. I'd be very surprised if DET did anything more than sign a backup for Howard this off-season. Their motto in net appear to be 'good enough' and even Osgood can win a Cup in that system.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quick shouldn't even be in this discussion, he will challenge for best fantasy hockey goalie next season.

I'd keep him and Halak. I'm not entirely sold on Howard just yet.
    12 team Yahoo H2H Keeper League (keep 6)
    G, A, P, +/-, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, L, GAA, SV%, SO

2C - Stamkos
    2LW - Benn
    2RW - Laine, Marner
    4D - Josi
    1Util -
    2G - Rask

Dobber Sports Stud

More good comments - thanks. AK raises some good points in favour of Halak. I guess it's pretty clear that I keep Quick, which is helpful.
    pool points:
    extra points for PPP

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Another vote against Howard.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Another vote against Howard.
    Thanks - do you mean a vote for Howard being the guy to move? Or a vote against him being the guy to move? I think the former but just checking.
    pool points:
    extra points for PPP

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
    Thanks - do you mean a vote for Howard being the guy to move? Or a vote against him being the guy to move? I think the former but just checking.
    Vote against keeping him or a vote for moving him

Has struggled with consistency, his rebound control is awful and I personally think his stats would be awful without being in Detroit.