Thread: Mason, Markstrom, Harding

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Mason, Markstrom, Harding

Hi Justin,

I'd like to ask you for your opinion on three goalies mentioned above.

1) Steve Mason
    I remember I've read somewhere that his developmental curve reminds that of Cam Ward's. CLB doesn't have a lot of other options so it's pretty sure he'll play a lot next season. Do you think Steve can become his former self from his rookie season? Can he become Cam Ward of CLB?

2) Jacob Markstrom
    Goalie situation in FLA is pretty wild right now. I know they want Jacob to play another season in AHL but barring no trade or free agent signing, is Markstrom ready to play in NHL next season? And if he plays in NHL, won't it hurt his development?

3) Josh Harding
    He's my darkhorse UFA goalie. I believe he's got regular starter's quality. Only his health is the issue. What are his chances to get starter's job next season? And is he Europe risk, or do you think he'll land NHL job somewhere?

Thank you a lot for your response and time, I really appreaciate it.

LuckyLuke

The King of Diatribes

1. Mason is going to be a more consistent and prepared goalie with Ian Clark at the helm. I wouldn't be comparing him to Ward though. Totally different type of goalie, totally different paths. You can't look at Mason's success in Hitchcock's system and expect him to reach those same numbers. At the same time, CBJ brought in a few good defensive players that automatically make Mason a goalie that you can expect will have improved numbers. How much he improves is really up to him! But he will be better.

2. obviously we know it's Theodore / Clemmensen next season. Markstrom will take over Clemmer's spot in the 2012-13 season. Has a chance to be the starter in 2013-14. He needs a full season in the AHL. If he gets called up to play some NHL games this season due to injury, that's great. Otherwise he'll be just fine spending the whole year in the AHL!

3. Obviously we know he's back with the Wild. The organization has to find a way to get him into 25 games. If he reaches the 22-25 games played mark, he'll get the exposure he needs to show other NHL GM's he can be a starter. I think he could be the Mike Smith of 7-1-12. I agree he has starter skill set, just gotta be seen! Minny showcasing his skills is a huge key. They need to do it.