Page 26 of 105 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 36 76 ... LastLast

Thread: Winnipeg Jets

Dobber Sports Stud

Oh boy was Ondrej Pavelec something else in net or what? He just shunned away 39 shots and lead the Jets to a 2-1 victory over the Bruins which snapped their regulation win streak of 14.

The Jets are 3-0 in the month of December and Pavelec is on fire only allowing three goals in those three games including a shutout performance.

Andrew Ladd (9th) and Bryan Little (8th) were the goal scorers for the Jets tonight.

The Jets have been playing some outstanding hockey lately and to no surprise are now currently in second place in the southeast division!

The five game home stand concludes Friday night for Winnipeg as they face Carolina. They then go back on the road for a game Saturday night in Detroit. Then, right back at home for six straight.

I've stressed the fact that the month of December was going to be huge in deciding Winnipeg's fate this season, and thus far with a record of 3-0, they've certainly made us fans proud.
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    Oh boy was Ondrej Pavelec something else in net or what? He just shunned away 39 shots and lead the Jets to a 2-1 victory over the Bruins which snapped their regulation win streak of 14.

The Jets are 3-0 in the month of December and Pavelec is on fire only allowing three goals in those three games including a shutout performance.

Andrew Ladd (9th) and Bryan Little (8th) were the goal scorers for the Jets tonight.

The Jets have been playing some outstanding hockey lately and to no surprise are now currently in second place in the southeast division!

The five game home stand concludes Friday night for Winnipeg as they face Carolina. They then go back on the road for a game Saturday night in Detroit. Then, right back at home for six straight.

I've stressed the fact that the month of December was going to be huge in deciding Winnipeg's fate this season, and thus far with a record of 3-0, they've certainly made us fans proud.
    These Jets are doing way better than I expected, and I have to assume at least part of the reason is us fans in the stands. Every game is sold out, we know our hockey (most of us), and the cheering has been fantastic. How can that not rub off on the players? This lengthy home stand will prove me right (or wrong).

Most impressive (over-achieving) players?

For me, Burmistrov is the bee's knees. (I honestly don't know why I felt compelled to use that anachronistic colloquialism. I guess I'm just old.) He's just so much fun to watch - he plays so responsibly, covering for Byfuglien's ill-timed jumps, playing smart positional hockey, (Denis) Savardian dipsy-doodling puck possession. He gets double-shifted a lot, so we know the coach knows he's good. Easily my favourite Jet, and I've decided whose name to put on my jersey. So what if he can't win faceoffs (yet)?

Ondrej Pavelec (learn to spell it folks). I knew he was good, but wow! Tonight he won this game single-handedly. We'll need a lot more of that to have a chance to make the playoffs. (Did we ever learn why he fell down/went boom once early last year? I thought not.)

Bogosian. He has really stepped up in Enstrom's absence (and all the other D that are down right now). Earlier this year I thought he was pressing for offense (occasionally irresponsibly), but he's making a case for continuing his minutes when the others return.

Everyone else I'm happy with, but this post is already too long, and I'd have to include the occasional negative to comment on them.

I was going to put Yakupov 2012 on my jersey, just for shits and giggles, but no more. This team might actually continue to surprise...

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree with all of your points, Steffen. Burmi, Bogo, and Pavs have all been incredible, and it's great to see because these are the young players that everyone is banking on for the future. Is it over-achieving, or taking the step to the next level just as Kane is doing? These players are still very, very young, and it is great to see them playing this well at a young age, and what they're showing is a glimpse of their "next level" capabilities.

I've been one to haggle Pavelec throughout his career, especially in Atlanta since he showed nothing in his early games, and the management decided to go with him instead of Lehtonen- which left me in a disgruntled mood because I was a huge Lehtonen fan. I guess I automatically have high expectations for him since a while back his agent told the media that Pavelec didn't want to be a backup anymore, and wanted to carry the load as a starter. With the goalie controversy, I assume if you come out and say you want a starting role, you must perform like a starter, and that he wasn't doing. Obviously, the defense and systems put out in front have him have always been a goalies worst nightmare so I give him the benefit of the doubt a lot. He's always shown flashes of brilliance with outstanding performances. Some of his knocks were positioning and rebound control, and the lack of consistency which some blamed on the goalie coach. He positioned himself better over the years, but the consistency was really never there. I don't want to jump the gun because he's been brilliant as of late and really all season long for that matter, so I'll just wait to see if it keeps up. He's won me over as a fan last season so that's not a problem for me. He's a warrior, a battler in net, and does nothing but keep his team in the game.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; December 8, 2011 at 4:11 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    ... Is it over-achieving, or taking the step to the next level just as Kane is doing? These players are still very, very young, and it is great to see them playing this well at a young age, and what they're showing is a glimpse of their "next level" capabilities. ...
    Good point. If this many Jets are getting to the next level at roughly the same time, this team is much better next year, and the year after, than I had thought.

Ladd seems a great guy, and with his Cup experience, a natural pick for the C. Is he their best player? No. But most captains aren't. We're lucky to have him, but I don't overrate him as a fantasy asset.

Little has probably played more games in this rink than anybody not an ex-Moose. I'd have to look it up. I know I've watched him lots in years past. Again, I don't overrate him, but I figure he'll be top-six here for a while.

Wheeler is fast as all get-out. If he could finish better, he'd be what we expected from him in Boston, only sooner on the Jets.

I truly believe most Jets are good buy-lows/adds/activates for home games. We fans contribute. If you're waffling, gamble on a Jet.

Dobber Sports Stud

Randy Jones is back in the lineup. Should be interesting to see where he fits in now.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Great win by the Jets, again!

Kane continues to tear it up-- he had a goal and an assist for what now gives him 15 goals and 23 points on the season. Make it 10 goals and 14 points in the last 11 games.

Little continues to tear it up as well and had a goal tonight. Little has 9 goals and 15 points in the last 14 games.

Byfuglien continues fantasy success as a defensemen with a goal and an assist in tonight's game. He now has 6 goals and 20 points on the season, and is well on his way to matching last years 50 point season.

Blake Wheeler was very impressive all game long and it showed on the stat sheet with 3 assists. He's been quietly good lately.

Chris Mason started tonight and played great as he's done against Carolina this season. Mason has three wins this season and all of them came against Carolina.

Jets are on a 4 game win streak, and are 4-0 in the month of December. Right back in action tomorrow night in Detroit in which Noel describes it as a "defining game". It will indeed be a huge one.

Expect Antropov to finally return from injury and play tomorrow night. It will be a huge boost as he will be fresh and ready to play for a team that will be right back in action less than 20 hours before their last game.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Jets signed Antti Miettinen off waivers. Good move as he will go somewhere in the bottom six and likely replace Jason Jaffray. Huge upgrade.

Ron Hainsey is back in the lineup for tonight's game, but Byfuglien, Antropov, and Burmistrov are all out as the Jets take on the leagues best team, the Wild.

Also, Kulda was placed on waivers which was a poor, poor move by the team. They could have put him on waivers on Sunday and he would have cleared, but now there's a chance someone could snag him. I'm shocked by this.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; December 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

A rivalry was born last night. These two teams are going to be in for some good ones in the future.

What an intense game. The Jets outplayed the Wild in every aspect, and Backstrom was the only reason why that score wasn't 5-1. Anyone else starting to realize that Winnipeg is already one of the top 3 toughest places to play in the NHL? We are dominating even the high end teams on home ice. That's the thing, we aren't just winning, we're dominating. Everyone chips in, players are coming through when needed. The atmosphere in that arena is unbelievable. The energy, the emotion, the players building off of the great crowd. There isn't a single team in the NHL I fear when playing in the MTS Center. I'm getting the feeling that the players and coaches are feeling this way as well. They do not back down to anyone, aren't intimidated by anyone. While it feels like a playoff atmosphere every night, you can be certain that the Jets have playoffs on their mind.

Notes from last night-
    Zach Bogosian scored his first goal of the season, and then got ejected later in the third period for a boarding hit on Bouchard. He will NOT be facing a suspension. That's good news because it wasn't that bad of a hit.

Bryan Little is red hot just finding the back of the net and will. He scored the game winner. He would be in my lineup every week. If he's still available in your league and you need help, he's definitely the way to go.

Pavelec bounced back with a strong performance in net. He's becoming a strong fantasy play again.

Hainsey returned to the lineup. Jones didn't play. Antropov and Burmistrov didn't play.

It's 5-1 for the Jets in December, with all 5 wins occuring on home ice. The Jets next 5 are on home ice.
    Last edited by AtlantaSportsFan; December 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Giant

Great job on this coverage, dude.

Always interesting to get recaps / notes from games I don't always get to watch. Much appreciated.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Initiate

I know reposting my Facebook note here is perhaps a bit indulgent, but I wanted to share. Executive summary: I like being a new Jets fan. (the Habs are so, like, f***ed up lately.)

"I've been very lucky to have been part of the recent renewal of the NHL in Winnipeg. As a new season ticket holder and a comparatively recent Winnipeg immigrant, I know I'm displacing an older Jets fan. Sorry, sort of.

The phenomenon that is this fan base is amazing. I'm proud to be a part of a crowd that is hockey-savant, aware of their media coverage, and respectful of their situation. It's an honour.

We are contributing to the Jets' unexpected success, I know it. What hockey player wouldn't want to play in front of 15,000+ rabid fans who appreciate a good shift, a good penalty kill (we have too many), or a great save (thank you very much, Ondrej and Chris).

Yes, the Thrashers weren't a bad team, and they won more than their fair share of games last year, but our Jets have definitely outperformed expectations. Kudos to Claude Noel for keeping the team on an even keel. It can't be easy.

No doubt the Jets will be facing adversity in the years ahead. We aren't a lock for the playoffs, and we'll deal with that if we have to. But I hope the team knows that their fans will support them regardless. (I've resisted putting Yakupov's name on my blank jersey.)

The respect and love we showed Teemu Selanne on Saturday should be instructive. We are this team's fans, and we will always support the Jets. (I shed a happiness tear, even though I never saw an old Jets game -- the emotion in the arena was highly contagious.)

I consider myself very lucky to be living here now as a hockey fan."

Dobber Sports Stud

Good read, Steffen!

We may not be a lock yet for the playoffs, but our core is just too good to not be a consistent playoff team in years to come. I'm still hopeful we can make it this season.

Speaking of, did anyone see the Ducks postgame show last night? They mentioned there could be a strong possibility that the Ducks would move Selanne to Winnipeg if they are out of playoff position come January. Only question is would Selanne want to waive his NMC? After his return to Winnipeg, I'm willing to bet he would if the opportunity arised. I don't want to speculate any further than my take on it. I wouldn't mind trading for him at all because he will be a true boost to get us into the playoffs. Am I suggesting we have to mortgage the future like the Thrashers did to get Tkachuk and Zhitnik? No. That's where it ends. However, I doubt we'd have to mortgage the future. I heard a second round pick, and a prospect/roster player like Mark Flood could get it done. That is a trade I would do any day of the week. I don't want to get anyone excited because it was only mentioned as a "strong possibility" by the Ducks postgame show. Nothing from any reporters, gms, or anyone else.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Just want to let everyone know that Bryan Little is out tonight. Antti Mietinen will make his Jets debut.

New line combinations posted in my sig.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Initiate

Perhaps I should put Selanne on my new Jets jersey, as a big hint? Burmistrov has #8, and Wellwood has #13. What number do I put on it?

Dobber Sports Stud

I wouldn't jump the gun if I were you... if you're expecting a trade to happen. I'd personally rather have one of the current players even if the Jets ended up acquiring Selanne. Since it hasn't even been mentioned by a major media outlet, you might not want to rush and get his name on the back. I don't have a clue what number he'd choose.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Stud

Well the Jets have been streaky inconsistent in the last 5 games including last night against the Islanders who dominated play consistently and took the win in the shootout. The Jets last 5 games look like this- Loss, Win, Loss, Win, OTL. I'm a bit worried because you never know how long these inconsistent streaks last. For the Thrashers, they would come in bunches- bunches of 15 games at times. The Jets are having defensive troubles again. The irony here is as soon as the top 6 have been healthy and all returned, the defense as a whole started to play bad. The same happened last night.

The Islanders dominated play, had the majority of the scoring chances, and if it weren't for Pavelec, they would have won by 5 in regulation. It was just a lazy effortless outing for the most part. Very minimal scoring chances, and a ton of odd man rushes and top notch chances against. John Tavares could have had 3 himself if he didn't fan on wide open nets all game. The defense didn't play well, and the offense couldn't get really anything going, but Ondrej Pavelec continues to be impressive which is a great sign.

Having Bryan Little out of the lineup is huge. Without him the offense didn't get much going. A lot of missed opportunities. The team couldn't execute their passes, and a lot of costly or near costly turnovers occured.

I hope the Jets can get on a streak here before the month ends. A back to back starting tomorrow night against Montreal, and ending Friday night against Pittsburgh is going to be huge.
    Go Jets Go