Thread: Washington signs Sabourin to a one-year deal

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Washington signs Sabourin to a one-year deal

According to CapGeek, Washington has signed Dany Sabourin to a one-year deal. The three-headed monster just grew another head. I'm not sure what to make of this signing. Maybe that Varlamov is on his way out and Holtby has AHL in his future in 2011?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Initiate

You think it could've just been a signing for their farm club? He played for Hershey last year. Looks like a 2-way contract.
    14-Team H2H Limited Keeper League

Rosters: 3C, 5W, 4D, 1U, 2G, 5B, 2IR+, 1NA
    Keep: 4 F, 2 D, 1 G
    Skater Stats: G (3), A (2), +/- (0.3), PIM (0.4), PPP (0.5), SHP (1), GWG (1), SOG (0.3), Hits (0.1), Blks (0.25), FW (0.05)
    Goalie Stats: W (5), SV (0.3), GA (-2), SHO (2)

C: Crosby, Zegras
    W: Pastrnak, Keller

D: Karlsson, Montour
    G:Oettinger
    IR+:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by rjfisher83 View Post
    You think it could've just been a signing for their farm club? He played for Hershey last year. Looks like a 2-way contract.
    Yeah, I think that's the case here.

Banned

This is how I would like this to play out

Varlamov gone
    Neuvirth starts 65 games
    Holtby starts 17 games
    Sabourin AHL

That would be ideal

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rjfisher83 View Post
    Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well. But why sign a 30-year old tender for their farm club? Wouldn't it be better to develop their young goalies there?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Giant

he is definantly for the farm.maybe a vet. for some younger goalies to look up to, and learn from ???
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This is 100% a Hershey Signing on behalf of Washington that is like an Emergancy Backup Plan also.

Hershey almost always has a Vet there since Washington too over. Last season it was Sabourin, the year before Jason Bacashihua, before that Daren Machensney, Fredric Cassivi was there the first 3 years while Machesney was developing and decided he wasnt NHL Caliber...

Hershey should have Holtby and Sabourin as goalies with Sabs being the Backup (20ish games), with Grubauer (a terrible goalie) getting his feet wet in the ECHL...

If Holtby is struggling, injured or already recalled, Sabourn can be called up only needing to clear waivers which will be easy.
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Yeah, that thought occurred to me as well. But why sign a 30-year old tender for their farm club? Wouldn't it be better to develop their young goalies there?
    Washington loves stacking Hershey with veterans so that they can win, and their prospects know what it means and takes to win.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Hershey is one of those AHL teams that puts more stock into challenging for the Calder Cup than turning the team over to rookies. There's nothing wrong with that and it lets the rookies develop in a winning organization which is a plus. But due to that, this Sabourin signing is nothing more than insurance on the farm.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Sophomore

It could be a situation where Sabourin goes to the AHL to help Holtby, while Varlamov and Neuvirth split time on the big club. Varlamov's qualifying offer would only be around $800,000 as well. To me that situation would make the most sense.