Thread: Bryzgalov & Flyers

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Bryzgalov & Flyers

I just read this in today's Philadelphia Inquirer:

Bryzgalov met with several members of the Flyers' brass - including Reese - at their Voorhees practice facility as the goalie and his agent, Ritch Winter, began negotiations with Holmgren.

The Flyers acquired Bryzgalov's rights from Phoenix last week and are trying to reach a contract agreement before he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

"I had a lot of fun with him," Reese said. "He's very intelligent and understands the game."

Reese chuckled.

"We would have no problem getting along" if he signed with the Flyers, Reese added. "I enjoyed our time together."

Bryzgalov, who will turn 31 on Wednesday, and his agent will continue talking with Flyers executives on Friday and also tour the city. The goalie arrived in Philadelphia after flying from Russia to New York, where he boarded Ed Snider's private jet.

Last season, Bryzgalov had a 2.48 goals-against average and .921 save percentage; he was the Vezina Trophy runner-up the previous year.

"I really like the way he plays, like the way he positions himself and uses his size to his advantage," Reese said of the 6-foot-3 goaltender.

Winter would not reveal any details about negotiations. He emphasized recently that all media reports about the length and cost of the deal were conjecture.

Sources said the Flyers will sign Bryzgalov if his demands "aren't crazy."

A five-year deal that would pay him about $5.5 million per season seems like a reasonable estimate, based on an unofficial goalie scale.

Holmgren did not return calls Thursday. Eight days ago, he hinted that the length of the deal would not be a stumbling block and that he was "open-minded."

The Flyers already have nearly $59 million committed to 18 players for 2011-12. The salary cap is expected to climb from $59.4 million to about $62.4 million for next season, and it will be announced shortly.

If they sign Bryzgalov, the Flyers figure to bypass on re-signing winger Ville Leino, a prospective free agent. They also may have to deal a player such as defenseman Matt Carle.

The Flyers do not want to trade high-scoring forward Jeff Carter unless they are overwhelmed by an offer, a source said, adding that they would need more than what Columbus reportedly is dangling - winger Jakub Voracek and a first-round pick (eighth overall) in next Friday's draft.

If the Flyers cannot sign Bryzgalov, Evgeni Nabokov, who is property of the New York Islanders, may be a fallback option.
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    "We would have no problem getting along" if he signed with the Flyers, Reese added. "I enjoyed our time together."
    Thanks for the article link!

That quote above sounds a bit... something... I can't put my finger on it... but it doesn't sound positive. It sounds like something is actually off - comments are usually a lot more positive & smooth if there is general like between both parties.

My 2 cents.