Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coyotes goalie situation

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Coyotes goalie situation

With Bryzgalov gone, LaBarbera not being a starter and Visentin not ready yet, it's certain the Coyotes will bring in a goalie in the offseason. It's fun to speculate who that might be so here we go.

Vokoun - seems like the most likely candidate. Great stats all-around except for Wins and is a proven number one. I think Vokoun would want to play there (can't imagine he likes the losing ways of FLA) and it's a matter of how much money can be offered to him. He currently makes 5.6 million and he'll probably want something similar.

Schneider or Bernier - this is less likely as all of these are teams in the West but that's not to say it won't happen. Another issue is that neither of them is a proven starter like Vokoun although I'm betting Phoenix would be willing to take a chance. Who would they give up to acquire one of these goalies? One of MacLean, Boedker or Turris might be enough.

Varlamov - less desirable than the first two options but if they don't work out, I can see Phoenix going after him.

Bobrovsky - if Bryzgalov is signed then Bob becomes expendable. It'd be weird but not unthinkable for Bob to end up in Phoenix.

Nabokov - he might be gotten for cheap

Any others you guys can think of?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Master

nabby could be a nice stop gap for them

maloney and snow have a bit of trade history .

Administrator

Phoenix will want to go on the cheap so I expect them to give a mid-round pick (3rd or 4th round) for a cheap vet like Nabokov.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

I think Nabokov is a likely candidate, as is Varlamov.

I'm pretty sure Vokoun re-signs in Florida (seemed unlikely a year ago, but now I could see that happening).

Although Schneider or Bernier would be awesome, I have a feeling neither prospect is traded (despite the rumors that have been floating around for 2 years suggesting otherwise). I could see the reason to trade them, but it isn't like Vancouver nor LA have a desparate need to deal them and they might be very content having two capable goalies in the system for the time-being.

Bobrovsky has an outside shot, but I'm not convinced he is capable of being a full-time starting goalie just yet.

The Great One

I will say, though, that I am very interested to see what Phoenix and Colorado do about their goaltending this off-season. Both are very good teams a solid goalie away from being playoff contenders.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I'm pretty sure Vokoun re-signs in Florida (seemed unlikely a year ago, but now I could see that happening).
    Gut feel or something else? Because I can see him leaving Florida. He's 34 and Florida is years removed from being a contender. Unless Vokoun doesn't care about winning.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Gut feel or something else? Because I can see him leaving Florida. He's 34 and Florida is years removed from being a contender. Unless Vokoun doesn't care about winning.
    I read somewhere recently that Vokoun and his family are very settled in the area. He might sign in Tampa if they are interested in him, but I think he wants to stay in Florida.

Dobber Sports Sage

Most of the rumors I've read around the net say that he's close to signing in FLA. Must have to do with family 'cus he ain't gonna win there!
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I don't see Phoenix doing much with their goalie situation. All your picks seem as though Phoenix will be trying to build a contender not a pretender. I don't see them going after bobrovsky, vokoun, varlamov, schndeider, bernier. Their just riding the wave to finish another year before they leave Phoenix. I think Nabokov might be an option. But here are my picks. Im going of your board. I have a feeling they will go with a Cheap UFA tender. The city is putting themselves in debt more and more. They aint signing top end guys like Vokoun.

Josh Harding UFA - Might take a chance on this guy. Showed upside in Minnesota for many years. Just came of injury. But could be a solid back up at worse.

Marty Turco UFA - A veteran with alot of credentials. I think he is the guy that ends up in Phoenix.

Mike Smith UFA - If TB doesn't resign him, I think he might find himself in a Coyotes jersey.

Pascal Leclaire UFA - Depend what his asking price might find himself another shot as a starter.

J.S. Giguere UFA- Much like Turco, they might give him a shot.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by brosal04 View Post
    I don't see Phoenix doing much with their goalie situation. All your picks seem as though Phoenix will be trying to build a contender not a pretender. I don't see them going after bobrovsky, vokoun, varlamov, schndeider, bernier. Their just riding the wave to finish another year before they leave Phoenix. I think Nabokov might be an option. But here are my picks. Im going of your board. I have a feeling they will go with a Cheap UFA tender. The city is putting themselves in debt more and more. They aint signing top end guys like Vokoun.

Josh Harding UFA - Might take a chance on this guy. Showed upside in Minnesota for many years. Just came of injury. But could be a solid back up at worse.

Marty Turco UFA - A veteran with alot of credentials. I think he is the guy that ends up in Phoenix.

Mike Smith UFA - If TB doesn't resign him, I think he might find himself in a Coyotes jersey.

Pascal Leclaire UFA - Depend what his asking price might find himself another shot as a starter.

J.S. Giguere UFA- Much like Turco, they might give him a shot.
    other than Harding, and even then, I hate all those signings...but you could be on to something with the money situation...that could very well be a huge factor

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by brosal04 View Post
    I don't see Phoenix doing much with their goalie situation. All your picks seem as though Phoenix will be trying to build a contender not a pretender.
    Yeah, I did assume Phoenix would be trying to build a contender but as you say it's possible they just try to patch things up in goal and see where it gets them. If that's the case, I'm curious to see what they do with Yandle.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    Yeah, I did assume Phoenix would be trying to build a contender but as you say it's possible they just try to patch things up in goal and see where it gets them. If that's the case, I'm curious to see what they do with Yandle.
    Yandle will be looking at a long term deal, 4.5 and up. It's gonna be really interesting to see what path they take with goaltending. I'd like to see them find a younger, long term option, but I'd hate to see them give up one of their young pieces.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Dobber Sports Pro

Giguere, Leclaire, or Turco will have very little appeal to a team looking for a starter. Leclaire - band-aid boy extraordinaire, beaten out by a stellar Brian Elliot. He will be lucky to land a job anywhere. There are tons of young tenders waiting in the wings for a backup role. Giguere and Turco --> backup material for a young tender, if they can find a team.

If Phoenix was prepared to give Labarbera a shot at the starting role, I could see them looking at a Giguere or Turco. I could also see them acquiring a younger guy like Leighton before Turco/Giguere.

The goal is still to win games. You're not going to win too many games with a sub .900 tender....
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I don't think they want to win games. I think they just don't want to lose alot of money again. Which is probably going to happen anyways. Do not look for them to do much in spending and find a quick fix for goaltending. Even if it isn't a great fix. Im not saying the goalies I said are starter material. For their situation theyll get anybody that doesn't cost lots.

Dobber Sports Pro

Emery? maybe a longshot.
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, KA Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin
    Zherenko