Thread: Bryz vs. Ward

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Bryz vs. Ward

This was posted in another thread and felt it needed to be re-located here prior to my asking my question:

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    I'm currently trying to move Bryz STAT... might actually be able to get Ward for him straight up... to a fellow Flyer fan in my league who's all giddy about the recent news...
    I would like to hear other's opinions on this deal that Jhonny has in mind:

he gives Bryz to get Ward

I for one am torn on which side wins....of course it really depends on where Bryz goes (or does it?) as neither goalie is a slouch in the net. I am a huge Ward fan and also very much respect Bryz. I can't get a good read on this deal and I would love nothing more than to help out one of the biggest threats in my league. So help me help Jhonny....

anyone care to chime in? scoring/league details in sig below...
    10 team, H2H Points, Limited Keeper (1C,2W,2D,1G,1 non G)

18 man roster plus 2 IR spots [20 total]
    start 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G; daily lineup changes

Stats: G,A,PPG,ENG,SHG,GWG,OTG,ShootOut Goals/Attemtps,Hat Tricks,+/-,FOW,PIMs,Majors,Misconducts,Hits,Blocked Shots
    Goalies Stats: W,Saves,Goals Against,SO

C: Tavares, Koivu, Backstrom, Johansen
    W: Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Komarov, Forsberg, Jenner
    D: Hedman, Ekblad, Niskanen, Yandle, Campbell
    G: Holtby, Schneider, Hammond
    IR: Anderson, Faulk

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Ward's true value lies in Saves... he faces more shots and plays in more games than most other goalies in the NHL.

However, he also has a mediocre d-core in front of him and therefore often has worse SV% and GAA.

This basically depends on where Bryz ends up. If he ends up in Philly I prefer him over Ward.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well Wolfie if you are in this deal, who I think you are, then you need to read carefully - "I might actually be able to get Ward for Bryz - straight-up." Big tell, there.

I dunno - you know where Ward is going to be playing in the future which is more than you can be assured of in Bryzgalov. I think the Canes are going to improve this season and so should Ward's numbers (at least a little).

Taking on Bryzgalov right now is taking on a risk and you need to be compensated for it normally. But if the risk pays then I am pretty sure whoever gets Bryz wins this deal.

Dobber Sports Ace

Guess I'll chime in here...

I've got no back-up plan to Bryz, so if he holds out or heads to KHL, I'm screwed. I seem to have a goalie problem every freakin' year, and all I want is a sure fire bonified #1 goalie that I can keep with confidence...

Last year I kept Rask...

The year prior, I had Price...

I'd hate to hold Bryz while someone is willing to give me Ward, and then have Bryz' agent screw me by strong-arming contract talks.

Oh, and Thanks Wolfpack! Though I'm not so sure you want me to improve my squad too much, eh!?

More feedback please...

Which of these two would you want today? Next 2-3 years? Is Carolina headed in the right direction? Was Bryzgalov's numbers inflated by defense in front of him and Tippett's gameplan?
    10 Team H2H Points (Keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G, & 1 non-goalie):
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)
    Wins, Saves, GA, Shutouts

18 Man Roster (3 IR slots) Daily Start: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G

C: Zibanejad, Thomas, Tavares
    W: Stutzle, Robertson, Connor, Buchnevich, McCann
    D: Makar, McAvoy, Josi, Theodore, Matheson, Harley
    G: Georgiev, Binnington, Kochetkov, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Well Wolfie if you are in this deal, who I think you are, then you need to read carefully - "I might actually be able to get Ward for Bryz - straight-up." Big tell, there.

I dunno - you know where Ward is going to be playing in the future which is more than you can be assured of in Bryzgalov. I think the Canes are going to improve this season and so should Ward's numbers (at least a little).

Taking on Bryzgalov right now is taking on a risk and you need to be compensated for it normally. But if the risk pays then I am pretty sure whoever gets Bryz wins this deal.
    No Shoeless... Wolfie's just looking out for me...which I'm not perfectly sure why yet... I wish that Bryz would just go ahead and pull a Cliff lee and sign a (5 year, 5.8 per) contract with the Flyers and then I can rest easy for once headed into the season in nets....geesh!
    G,A,+/-, PIM, PPG, SHG, GWG, OTG, FOWs, Hits, Blks, Maj, Mis, (bonus scoring for D-men makes them comparable to Wing)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post

i am not in this deal....currently. however have been sending some alternative offers to Jhonny to bolster my squad and to solve his goalie dilemma (dangled Rinne for Bryz +). mostly i am only interested in Bryz IF he goes to PHI (duh!) and not so sure I truly want to give up Rinne. i love your line "you need to be compensated for it..." in fact i kind of explained this to Jhonny the other day. i think i scared him off, thus his seeking the Ward deal.

i think for Jhonny, for right now, it's a good deal to keep his sanity in tact. Ward is a great goalie and a safer choice of the two as of right now. whatever happens with Bryz I don't think the difference between these two next year will be big enough to make it a bad deal.

who else? and why am i helping him again?

Stats: G,A,PPG,ENG,SHG,GWG,OTG,ShootOut Goals/Attemtps,Hat Tricks,+/-,FOW,PIMs,Majors,Misconducts,Hits,Blocked Shots

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'll take Ward
    G(3) A(2) +/-(1) PIM(-0.5) PPP(1) SOG(0.4) Hits(0.2) BLK(0.2) SHG(5)
    W(4) GA(-1) SV(0.2) SO(3.5)

H2H Points , 8 Teams, One Year

3C - Couture, Galchenyuk, Stepan, Krejci, Monahan, Kadri
    3LW - Ovechkin, Schwartz, Huberdeau, Voracek, O'Reilly
    3RW - Tarasenko, Eberle, Ehlers, Atkinson, Stone
    5D - OEL, Doughty, Weber, Stralman, Werenski, Hamilton
    2G - Quick, Allen, Elliott, C.Johnson, Andersen, Greiss

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Wolf Pack View Post
    i am not in this deal....currently. however have been sending some alternative offers to Jhonny to bolster my squad and to solve his goalie dilemma (dangled Rinne for Bryz +). mostly i am only interested in Bryz IF he goes to PHI (duh!) and not so sure I truly want to give up Rinne. i love your line "you need to be compensated for it..." in fact i kind of explained this to Jhonny the other day. i think i scared him off, thus his seeking the Ward deal.

i think for Jhonny, for right now, it's a good deal to keep his sanity in tact. Ward is a great goalie and a safer choice of the two as of right now. whatever happens with Bryz I don't think the difference between these two next year will be big enough to make it a bad deal.

who else? and why am i helping him again?
    Ok buddy... tell me what percent chance you feel they (Flyers) sign Bryz?

hmmm... What about Bryz and Toews for Rinne and Tavares

Dobber Sports Ace

Here's the direct comparison in our league this year:

Player Postion Team G W L SO GAA GA S S% Fantasy Points
    Ward, Cam G CAR 74 37 26 4 2.56 184 2191 0.923 565.8
    Bryzgalov, Ilya G PHO 68 36 20 7 2.48 168 1957 0.921 530.2

I doubt the formatting will show properly from where I cut this, but you will see that Ward beat him out this year, and unless he signs with the Flyers for so much money that they have to play him 65 games per season, I can't see Bryz besting these numbers maybe ever again...

Whereas Ward is a few years younger, on a younger team that has no where to go but up from here, and if they are in playoff contention, that means more starts for Ward when I need him most for fantasy hockey.

If those two knuckleheads (in our league) can pull the trigger on this three way deal, I'm taking it!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by jhonny View Post
    Ok buddy... tell me what percent chance you feel they (Flyers) sign Bryz?

hmmm... What about Bryz and Toews for Rinne and Tavares
    that deal's not gonna happen....unless you add more!

and i may be in the minority here but i posted on another thread here that i felt the chances are 90%, i have no idea why i feel that way, just my gut (which seems to be getting larger these days so it must mean something)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by One Man Wolf Pack View Post
    that deal's not gonna happen....unless you add more!

and i may be in the minority here but i posted on another thread here that i felt the chances are 90%, i have no idea why i feel that way, just my gut (which seems to be getting larger these days so it must mean something)
    Now that I think about it, I'm shocked about how easily you landed Tavares!