Thread: Top prospects with < 50 NHL games?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Top prospects with < 50 NHL games?

I'm in a new league where we have a NHL draft (currently in round 2) and a prospects draft (prospects are guys with less than 50 NHL games). Without going into great details about the scoring cats, I would like to know who you think the top 10 players are in terms of NHL prospects with less than 50 NHL games played.

It's a 16-team league that hass a multi-cat scoring system. My first two picks were Nicklas Backstrom (WAS) and Ryan Miller (BUF). We start 6-F, 4-D, 1-G daily and have 7 bench players and 10 prospects. I hold the 3rd overall pick in the prospects draft...

Here are some guys I'm considering (in no particular order):

F (no difference between C and W): RNH, Schenn, Johanson, Tarasenko, Kadri, Tatar, El Nino, Landeskog, Filatov, Hodgson, Connolly, Huberdeau

D: Ellis, Elliot, Smith, Runblad, Orlov, Larssen

G: Bernier, Markstrom, Lehner

Am I missing someone who I should strongly consider?

How do you see the top 3 picks going and who would you take if you were me?

Thanks
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Ace

My top three would be Schenn, Johanson, and Bernier in no particular order. I think all three have high upsides with low risk.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Don't forget Cory Schneider. I think he'd be my #1 goalie.

My 3 picks would probably be:

RHN
    Johansen (better chance to be a #1 center than Schenn)
    Schneider

If you want to take a Dman instead of a goalie though, give me Brendan Smith for sure.
    Last edited by Brady19; June 2, 2011 at 1:14 AM.

Dobber Sports Novice

If your wanting immediate impact for forwards I would go Schenn/Johansen. If your wanting to go upside and willing to wait a year+ then would be Tarasenko, RNH.

Immediate impact (not sure any are immediate) for defensemen I would go with Rundblad/Smith. Upside for me all are close Rundblad/Elliott/Orlov/Ellis/Smith(best for multi-cat)

Goaltending for me would be Bernier (argument could be made for Markstrom).

A player also worth noting if not picked up is Kuznetsov(WSH) along with Schneider(VAN)

Everyone has their own opinions but for me it's RNH/Schenn, Rundblad/Smith, Bernier.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Brady19 View Post
    Don't forget Cory Schneider. I think he'd be my #1 goalie.

My 3 picks would probably be:

RHN
    Johansen (better chance to be a #1 center than Schenn)
    Schneider

If you want to take a Dman instead of a goalie though, give me Brendan Smith for sure.

i agree about schneider.. if you have patience for about a yr.. schneider will be a bonafide starter.. i would also go with Johansen... and Bernier
    10 GMs Dynasty league

6fwds,4dmen,2goalies dressed/wk, last 4 wks of reg season is playoffs and up to 18reserves
    goals (6pts),ppg(+4),shg(+9)
    ass (3pts)
    +/- (1pt)
    goalie: wins (10pts),s/o (+5),shoot out lose (3pts)

fwds:toews,lucic,michalek,couture,kesler,iginla
    dman:kronwall,keith,weber,garrison
    goal: lundqvist, kippersoff

reserves:
    (g)schneider,bachman,backstrom,S.mason
    (d)gonchar,giordano,da haan,bergeron
    (f)alfredsson,glencross,grabovski,weiss,pavelski,b urrows,tatar,stalberg,elias,cole

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I wouldn't strongly consider these two with your first pick but keep in mind that Filatov and OEL also come in at less than 50 GP.

Also, I'd be looking pretty hard at Granlund and Schwartz, hoping they slip far enough down that you can get them in the second round (doubtful but possible).