Page 5 of 102 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanley Cup Final: Vancouver (West) vs. Boston (East)

Banned

So just because I want Boston to win makes me a troll now

Interesting...

I want Vancouver to lose because
    1. I got money on Boston,
    2. it makes me sick how everybody and their mother who hate vancouver in regular season cheer for them now (in personal circles)
    3. they have won more games with luck or help of refs than just because they are better.
    4.they beat Nashville

I stand by my comments

Vancouver will only win if help of the referees is involved. If the games are like game 7 between Boston and Tampa, Boston will win the series.

Canucks can't score unless it's on PP, Sedins are invisible unless they play minor league defenders, Luongo is the king of rebounds

Go Boston all the way

Signed,

Troll

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    wow - I am pretty surprised by the "safe" panel picks for this series. From what I've seen, this is the most one-sided Stanley Cup final since Edmonton swept the Bruins 20+ years ago.

I felt dirty even giving the Bruins a game, but that was only because I thought Thomas might steal one.

Sorry, but anyone saying differently is being contrarian, just for the sake of being contrarian. There is no logical reason, other than arguing Thomas will drastically outplay Luongo, for giving the Bruins a chance.
    for what it's worth

canucks haven't impressed me one bit these playoffs.
    bruins haven't impressed me all that much either these playoffs

but canucks these playoffs are not canucks in regular season

I think it's insane for not giving the bruins any credit. They are equally as deep as the canucks, they got better goaltending (arguable off course, but IMO), and they are a bit behind on D.

I think it's absurd to say a sweep or being embarassed by giving the bruins 1 game

Dobber Sports Stud

Sorry, but anyone saying differently is being contrarian, just for the sake of being contrarian.
    You know, for a guy who several of us mods defended as having the right to his own opinion without being dismissed or abused for it (re: the Recchi thread a couple of months ago), you're pretty dismissive of anybody who disagrees with you. No foul predicting a sweep, but let's allow for the possibility that someone else might have a different opinion than you do. After all, as you quite eloquently and accurately pointed out at the time:

Taking a debate down to a sandbox level is a lose-lose for everyone.
    At least, that's still my opinion.
    Last edited by Thieving Giraffe; May 30, 2011 at 4:00 PM.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Stud

Also my opinion: Game 1 really needs to start right now!!!
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Stud

I regret if it seemed unfair, but the post read to me as dismissing any opinions that Boston did have a chance... guys like 4T2 and even pro-Vancouver guys like Bond0n have laid out very even-handed explanations of why they see Boston as a threat (if still underdogs). As for context, I don't think attributing motive or disingenuousness and calling names are all that different... the diverse range of opinions is a hallmark of these forums, and the right to express them carefully protected. But if I misread your post, then I apologize. If you weren't somebody whose opinion I respected, I would probably have just ignored it.

Personally, while I don't dispute Vancouver's favorite status, I think that they'll find the big bodies and physical/defensive play to be more team-wide from the Bruins on a good day (at least, without sacrificing offense a la Nashville... sorry Dutch! ), the rebounds to be harder to come by on any day (I don't think there's a better team in the league than the Bruins at clearing out or blocking the second shot), and the presence or absence of power plays to be a potential series breaker... 33 ESG in 18 games is not a lot, so if games are called like Game 7 was, then they'll have to finally find their even strength game against this year's probable Vezina Trophy winner. Of course, they probably won't be called that way, but one can hope that there will at least be a higher index of suspicion when it comes to diving. Bottom line, I've watched almost every Bruins game and while they have their truly off-days and off-periods, when they have their game on, they are a match for anybody. I started a threat with my thoughts on that (with many excellent follow-ups by other contributors, both for and against) here.
    Last edited by Thieving Giraffe; May 30, 2011 at 5:20 PM.
    T.G.

Banned

That's completely out of line.
    If you're going to cherry pick that thread as a reference, you might want to look closer at the sandbox tactics I was referring to...

And you're missing an important point... an opinion isn't worth anything without something to support that opinion. Anyone with eyes can see Boston is clearly outclassed in this matchup, so it's not incumbent on me to prove what is obvious to most people. In my opinion, it's surprising to see an expert panel overwhelmingly give Boston a solid chance, even though a majority of observers seems to feel the Nucks will cruise.
    Pointing that out makes you come after me?! Wow.

If someone feels Thomas will drastically outplay Luongo, fine, say so.
    But otherwise to just say Boston has a chance (without saying why) is being contrarian just for contrarian's sake. Just to be able to say at the end of it all "wow, I sure called that, didn't I?!?!

Also, for more apples and oranges, I was attacked individually on that thread. With profanity and name-calling straight out of grade 4.
    How do you see any comparison with my posts here? I am attacking no one individually. I kept it completely civil and mature.
    And, for the record, I appreciate those who give reasons for a Boston upset... there's nothing I want more than a close series, regardless of who wins.

buddy, you watch too much CBC

I told you EXACTLY why Boston stands a chance, but for specially for you I will repeat myself

Thomas > Luongo IMO

Sedins are invisible against top D, and only showed some signs of life last series, and most on the PP

If Boston keeps their cool and don't take too many penalties, the Bruins have a solid chance

Canucks generally get help from refs, so if refs are "normal" this series, Boston has a chance

Canucks defense > Boston defense

depth is pretty equal for the both teams.

Physical play, I give the edge to Boston because the Sedins are just as soft as a pack of Charmin toiletpaper

So, take of your canucks coloured glasses, and tell me that I am out to lunch, by giving Boston a chance....

I wish you good luck with your Canucks, but I will rub it in your face if Boston indeed wins.

Predicting a sweep or giving Boston a pity game is just ridiculous my friend

this goes 6 or 7 games

Banned

Fair enough, thanks for your reasoning.
    Although, I must humbly say that (even as a non-Nucks fan) saying that the Nucks will only win if the refs help them... um... seriously? Are you seriously going to stand behind that remark? It just seems like an odd thing for an objective person to write.

And thanks for stepping in Thieving... I should have chosen my words better for sure and then there would have been no issue at all. I don't want to come across as dismissive.
    yep, that's exactly what I will stand by

I've watched enough canucks games these playoffs, and the entire preds series to find I have enough reasoning for stating that.

Canucks haven't won a game just because they were more dominant but except 2 or 3... The rest was because of bad calls, bad goals, or other ridiculous things that have happened. I really don't think they've been all that spectacular this playoffs as people make them out to be

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Thieving Giraffe View Post
    I think that is something that we can ALL agree on...
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Thieving Giraffe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    I think that is something that we can ALL agree on...

Absolutely. This wait is brutal. Reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Bart is watching the clock and it starts ticking backwards.

As for the series, I mentioned to bOndon that I see this being a war, not a coronation and there will be lots of bad blood before it's over.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    yep, that's exactly what I will stand by

I've watched enough canucks games these playoffs, and the entire preds series to find I have enough reasoning for stating that.

Canucks haven't won a game just because they were more dominant but except 2 or 3... The rest was because of bad calls, bad goals, or other ridiculous things that have happened. I really don't think they've been all that spectacular this playoffs as people make them out to be
    The Nashville series was terrible. For both teams. Neither team showed up. I could be wrong, but it seems like your basing a lot of your opinion on one series. The Chicago series was amazing. A hard fought series by both and an incredibly exciting one, at that. The SJ series was won by Luongo, a resurgent Henrik Sedin and d-core that stepped up in a big way.

There is no disagreement that Vancouver had some help along the way. They received some good luck thanks to the refs, and some bounces. There is an old adage stating "you gotta be lucky to be good, and good to be lucky." Whether you buy into it or not, the Stanley Cup isn't easy to win. You need some luck to help you get there. Vancouver also faced some really bad reffing and they missed some calls that would have helped us out. Did we get more help or less? Arguable, but you won't hear my denying that we've had some help along the way.

Either way, Vancouver has found ways to win games, and that's what good teams do. Shitty that you hate them so much, I'd love to have you on our side. Also, sorry for beating your Preds, who definitely didn't deserve to beat Vancouver the way they played, either. Then again, that's just my opinion.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    The Nashville series was terrible. For both teams. Neither team showed up. I could be wrong, but it seems like your basing a lot of your opinion on one series. The Chicago series was amazing. A hard fought series by both and an incredibly exciting one, at that. The SJ series was won by Luongo, a resurgent Henrik Sedin and d-core that stepped up in a big way.

There is no disagreement that Vancouver had some help along the way. They received some good luck thanks to the refs, and some bounces. There is an old adage stating "you gotta be lucky to be good, and good to be lucky." Whether you buy into it or not, the Stanley Cup isn't easy to win. You need some luck to help you get there. Vancouver also faced some really bad reffing and they missed some calls that would have helped us out. Did we get more help or less? Arguable, but you won't hear my denying that we've had some help along the way.

Either way, Vancouver has found ways to win games, and that's what good teams do. Shitty that you hate them so much, I'd love to have you on our side. Also, sorry for beating your Preds, who definitely didn't deserve to beat Vancouver the way they played, either. Then again, that's just my opinion.
    I agree that Nashville shouldn't have won, because they played like crap. But I really don't see how vancouver has showed that they are president trophy winners yet these playoffs.

I understand that every team would love to have a passionate fan such as myself on their side, but unfortunately for canuck fans, I chose Boston these series, for reasons mentioned above

Off course I based most on the Preds series, because when canucks played the hawks, it was most nights that preds played ducks at the same time, so I didn't watch too much from that, other than the last 2 games. Against the Sharks, I missed 2 games out of the series due to travel, but the other games, especially the 3 consecutive 5 on 3 goals, were pretty much with help from the refs. Luongo did step up in these series, but I disagree with Henrik Sedin. Sure he got the points, and I will believe you if he can do the same thing against Chara. But since Chara is a big body, I can see the sedins disappear again real quick.

I agree that there has been bad calls that could have helped vancouver out, but if you look at all bad calls, I think the majority go vancouver's way.

However, I do wish you luck with the canucks, I just can't be thrilled if they win it.

As far as either team goes, I think they are matched up well, both deep, with potential shit or good goaltending. D is in canucks favor, but if their fwds can't score goals, it's not gonna be easy

GO Bruins

Dobber Sports Ace

Lets just hope it doesnt go to O.T. much so you can get your sleep Dutch.
    God bless us,everyone of us!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I agree that Nashville shouldn't have won, because they played like crap. But I really don't see how vancouver has showed that they are president trophy winners yet these playoffs.

I understand that every team would love to have a passionate fan such as myself on their side, but unfortunately for canuck fans, I chose Boston these series, for reasons mentioned above

Off course I based most on the Preds series, because when canucks played the hawks, it was most nights that preds played ducks at the same time, so I didn't watch too much from that, other than the last 2 games. Against the Sharks, I missed 2 games out of the series due to travel, but the other games, especially the 3 consecutive 5 on 3 goals, were pretty much with help from the refs. Luongo did step up in these series, but I disagree with Henrik Sedin. Sure he got the points, and I will believe you if he can do the same thing against Chara. But since Chara is a big body, I can see the sedins disappear again real quick.

I agree that there has been bad calls that could have helped vancouver out, but if you look at all bad calls, I think the majority go vancouver's way.

However, I do wish you luck with the canucks, I just can't be thrilled if they win it.

As far as either team goes, I think they are matched up well, both deep, with potential shit or good goaltending. D is in canucks favor, but if their fwds can't score goals, it's not gonna be easy

GO Bruins
    It's van's fault the pp's were 5-0 after 1 where several were borderline or brutal calls? How do you not call a penalty with 6 players on the ice (directly involved in a great chance) and a delay of game? You are a troll in this thread and that's fine, but I'm disappointed in you. I'd expect more from someone that has been around here as long as you have. As for lucky bounces...the one salo goal off of campbell and the bieksa gift are the only ones that stick out. I can recall quite a few gift goals that Luongo has given the other teams, making the rest of the team save his ass. Can't wait for this damned thing to start
    14th year-12 team-Keep 10 + 5 farm
    C-Larkin, Trochek, Pavelski, Hayes, R Strome
    LW-Huberdeau, Meier, Kreider
    RW-Gaudreau, Rantanen, Radulov, Kyrou
    D-Letang, Hamilton, Carlson, Burns, Giordano
    G-Andersen, Lehner, Jones

IR-Tarasenko

Farm - Vilardi, Newhook, McMichael, Gusev, Holtz

Dobber Sports Icon

It seems that eyemissgilmour has acknowledged the flaws in his argument, so I will leave that alone. I will even commend him for admitting that he could have raised his points better.

The series result is far from set in stone.

Boston goes in as the underdog for sure. They also went into the Philly series as an underdog, although not to the same extent. However, everyone rights that off now because of Philly's goaltending and injuries. Sorry folks, but even without Pronger (he only played 2 games in the first round), Philly was able to get past Buffalo. And those "AHL goaltenders" combined for the third best record in the NHL during the regular season.

Boston relishes the chance to play as the underdog. They are far more comfortable when the pressure is off. Keep writing them off please. Put the pressure on the Canucks to win this all. Boston can just go out and have fun, play Bruins hockey and if they steal a win or two, they can go home happy. I have a feeling they aren't shining up their golf clubs yet though.

Also, for everyone who thinks this is a foregone conclusion. Should Boston win, does this rank up there with Edmonton's 2006 upset of the Red Wings in the first round? Or the Ducks 2003 Conference final upset of Detroit? No... I didn't think so.

Here's an article on the Top 10 biggest upsets of hockey history:
    http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/...urn=nhl-201392

I'm sorry, but should the Bruins win, I don't think it makes this list. The odds are not even close to what some of these teams faced.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Master

I am actually thinking that the Canucks should be considered underdogs now.

DGB offered two compelling arguments for this:

Intangibles

Bruins - Seeing Tyler Seguin score the Stanley Cup winning goal would be a devastatingly cruel blow to Maple Leaf fans, so you know there's about a 90% chance that the hockey gods are making it happen.

Historical precedence

Canucks - Won the Western Conference title with a double-overtime game five win to set up a finals matchup against an original six team with a long Cup drought; what could possibly go wrong?

(full write-up: http://www.downgoesbrown.com/ )