Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Avalanche starter next year

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Be interesting to see if they do make a move on a tender - I personally don't think they will. I heartily agree that they aren't that bad a team.
    Yeah, they are definitely not a bad team. We can't ignore what they did a year ago.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chicleteur View Post
    Yeah, they are definitely not a bad team. We can't ignore what they did a year ago.
    If they can get Mueller and Fleischmann back healthy(neither of whom has been cleared medically yet), and if Hejduk can manage to stay mostly injury-free, then yeah, they should be competitive.

I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Vancouver and Colorado are still division rivals so I don't really expect them to trade Schneider to the Avs. Also the price would be pretty high and there are more proven options out there in the free agent market.

Bernier would certainly be worth going for if the Kings would be game for it, but again it would mean losing some valuable assets.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Schneider moving depends on whether Van wins the cup this year or not. If they win then he's traded, if not then they hold onto him as a safety net as they retool for the cup next year. Van's core is all signed for next year with the exception of Ehrhoff and you know they aren't going to let him walk. Also now way he goes to a divisional rival in Colorado. (my bet is NJ for 4th 2011 pick, Washington's 2nd in 2012, Alex Urbom, and Jeff Frazee)

Vokoun, I just have this feeling that he re-ups in Florida. I don't know why, I just do.

Bernier is going nowhere before the next trade deadline and he proabaly won't move then either.

Colorado is a good team if they can get the goaltending. I just don't think they are going to get that guy this offseason. They are going to end up with Leighton, Emery or Elliott as their beginning of the season starter and will be fishing the waiver wire as the season progreses.

The blocks will start to fall into place when Bryzgalov signs (He'll be the first to go)

Dobber Sports Ace

I keep thinking that Roloson (TB), Bryzgalov (PHX), and Vokoun (FLA) all re sign with their respective teams leaving Colorado as the only team in need of a starter. This is where Garth Snow comes in, trading Nabokov to Colorado for pocket change. Seems to make a bit of sense?

Dobber Sports Padawan

I still think Nabokov goes to Philly. Pretty cheap (both contract wise and the price Philly would have to pay), able to play 50ish games while still giving Bob 30-35 to keep him progressing.

I think Colorado is a team that could go after a guy like Schneider... And if Van wins the cup, I don't think they care if they trade Schneider in the division if the return is good enough.

I don't think Schneider to Washington makes much sense... And as much as I HOPE Philly gets him, I think they'll try to target someone more proven.

I can't imagine Vokoun staying in Florida. I think he'd rather go play in the KHL than stay in that hell hole.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I actually said Schneider is gonna go to New Jersey. New Jersey has nothing top notch in the pipeline for when Brodeur is done. 2011/12 is Broudeur's contract year and the only free agent goalie of any quality in 2012 is Rinne. The time is now for Captain Lou to act. I say he target's Schneider and is willing to move his 4th overall pick to do it. Van is going to lose Bieksa for sure and they might let Salo walk. New Jersey also has a possibility of three 2nd round pick in 2012 (2 for sure, 3rd depends on if and when Langenbrunner resigns with Dallas), so a 2nd in 2012 plus a good defensive prospect in Urbom makes sense. Now finally, Vancouver has nothing in their goalie pipeline and if they lose Schneider and resign Weiman they are still going to be one goaltender short to cover their NHL and AHL teams. That's where Frazee come in. With Schneider in their camp and Kinkaid just signed, NJ will no longer need Frazee. Frazee, Lack and Weiman will duke it out in camp to see who backs up Luongo, no real cap implication for Van cuz all of NJ players are 2-way and Bob's your uncle.

So...

Van gets:

4th overall 2011, 2nd 2012 (NJ, WAS or DAL?), D - Alex Urbom, G - Jeff Frazee

NJ gets:

Cory Schneider

Of course this all goes to hell if New Jersey resigns Hedberg.

Dobber Sports Novice

I see them looking into Varlamov

The Great One

The goalie market is just crazy right now. With so many teams with uncertain goaltending, we could see a lot of goalies moved around this summer.

Colorado, Florida, Philly, Washington, Edmonton, Phoenix, Tampa...they all have serious goalie issues to address this summer.

Vokoun
    Bryzgalov
    Roloson
    Bobrovsky
    Leighton
    Bernier
    Schneider
    Varlamov
    Nabokov
    Elliott

all those goalies could be playing for new teams next year

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Karbinkopy View Post
    So...

Van gets:

NJ gets:

Cory Schneider

That all went to hell when you included the 4th overall pick in there. Sorry, but Schneider is nowhere near the value of that pick. No goalie prospect in the world is near the value of that pick. Schneider could probably fetch a late 1st (someone like Philly's first had they not traded it) but not a chance for a top-10 pick. And they should also include a 2nd, great D prospect and a goalie prospect? For that offer it'd better be Luongo going to New Jersey instead of Schneider. Hell, even Luongo isn't worth that much.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

The Great One

From the Denver post today:

"[Sakic and Sherman] Both stressed that stabilizing the goaltending position is the team's highest priority in the offseason and hinted the team could be active in the free-agent market for a new netminder."

Link: http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_18045940

So, I wouldn't count on the team going with an Elliott/Budaj tandem. Elliott would be a serviceable backup to someone like Vokoun (that's who my money is on).

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    From the Denver post today:

"[Sakic and Sherman] Both stressed that stabilizing the goaltending position is the team's highest priority in the offseason and hinted the team could be active in the free-agent market for a new netminder."

Link: http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_18045940

So, I wouldn't count on the team going with an Elliott/Budaj tandem. Elliott would be a serviceable backup to someone like Vokoun (that's who my money is on).
    That's interesting news. I wonder why they traded Anderson for Elliott then. A decent middling starter for someone they are planning on using only as a backup? Seems like a poor management decision. Unless they had written Anderson off completely and shopped him around first before settling on Elliott? Seems unlikely.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    That's interesting news. I wonder why they traded Anderson for Elliott then. A decent middling starter for someone they are planning on using only as a backup? Seems like a poor management decision. Unless they had written Anderson off completely and shopped him around first before settling on Elliott? Seems unlikely.
    my understanding is that there were some off-ice issues that made it highly unlikely Anderson would have re-signed with the team in the off-season. As a pending UFA, they probably figured they should move him for whatever return they could get. At the time, maybe they were hoping Elliott would prove himself worthy of an opportunity to be a full-time keeper, but his short tenure with the team was very unimpressive.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Karbinkopy View Post
    I actually said Schneider is gonna go to New Jersey. New Jersey has nothing top notch in the pipeline for when Brodeur is done. 2011/12 is Broudeur's contract year and the only free agent goalie of any quality in 2012 is Rinne. The time is now for Captain Lou to act. I say he target's Schneider and is willing to move his 4th overall pick to do it. Van is going to lose Bieksa for sure and they might let Salo walk. New Jersey also has a possibility of three 2nd round pick in 2012 (2 for sure, 3rd depends on if and when Langenbrunner resigns with Dallas), so a 2nd in 2012 plus a good defensive prospect in Urbom makes sense. Now finally, Vancouver has nothing in their goalie pipeline and if they lose Schneider and resign Weiman they are still going to be one goaltender short to cover their NHL and AHL teams. That's where Frazee come in. With Schneider in their camp and Kinkaid just signed, NJ will no longer need Frazee. Frazee, Lack and Weiman will duke it out in camp to see who backs up Luongo, no real cap implication for Van cuz all of NJ players are 2-way and Bob's your uncle.

So...

Van gets:

NJ gets:

Cory Schneider

EDDIE LACK
    http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=104478

I agree with others that your 4th overall / 2nd round / Urbom / Frazee is too much. Schneider, in reality, is unproven at the NHL level. MAYBE 4th overall + Urbom.
    Last edited by holdUP; June 10, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
    12-team Rotisserie
    G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, FOW
    W, saves, GAA, SV%, SO

2C-
    2LW- Marchand
    2RW- Giroux
    4D- Rielly
    2G- Bishop, Price

Dobber Sports Wizard

Vokoun in Colorado?

From Rotoworld:

Tomas Vokoun allegedly told a Czech newspaper that he could be interested in joining the Colorado Avalanche when he becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Vokoun has apparently received an offer to play for Avangard Omsk of the KHL but would rather play in the NHL. Phoenix could also come a calling and Vokoun has not ruled out re-signing with the Panthers so it should be an interesting couple of weeks. "I would not be displeased if I got a good offer from Floria and accepted it," the newspaper 'Mlada fronta Dnes' quotes Vokoun as saying. "But if I happen to get an offer from a team that might have a chance to challenge for the Stanley Cup, now, that might be irresistible. Like Colorado." Vokoun turns 35 on the second day of free agency so it could be a very happy birthday for the netminder. Stay tuned.