Thread: Rask vs bernier?

The Magnificent One

Default Rask vs bernier?

so just started a draft and was hoping to get rinne but that fell through. my team not in sig is in need of a goalie. i have s.mason and kipper with the islander goalies. so yeah in need of a goalie but rinne was the only one i could get. bryz is available but for cap reasons and unknown cant take him. so my choice is

Rask vs bernier.

i know now my team might have to wait a year to compete as i dont have a solid goaile yet but which would you choose?

please reply asap if you can. i need to make my pick NOW
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'd go with Rask quite confidently. Thomas should move aside before Quick does and Rask has proven a lot more at the NHL level than Bernier.

Dobber Sports Novice

i'd go bernier (i've actually got both in my pool).

their both going to be studs, but i think with the way thomas has been playing berniers time is going to come sooner.

good luck!

14 Team - H2H - 7 player Keeper League
    Keep: 1 G, 2 D, 3 F, 1 Flex unlimited ML keepers, 2 IR spots
    Weekly Start: 2 G, 4 D, 4 W, 3 C, 1 Swing (W or C)
    G, A, = 1pt. GWG + 1pt., DG, = 2 pts, DA = 1 pt, DGWG + 3pts. GW, SO, Spct.
    (c) Crosby, Roy, Seguin, Gagne
    (w) Ovechkin, JVR (IR), Voracek, Booth, J. Williams, Stafford A. MacDonald (IR), Sullivan
    (d) Weber, Karlsson, Giordano, Whitney, Del Zotto
    (g) Brodeur, Fleury, Hedberg, Garon
    ML keepers: Rask, Bernier

Dobber Sports Genius

Currently I'm more impressed with Rask.

Both are backing up a significant starter. Quick is more vulnerable, in the short term window. At this point, you're looking at two tenders that will play 25-30 games next year.

Dobber Sports Stud

I would go with Rask, but for a different reason - I think he's got more name power for a trade, and if the goalie situation is really what you think is holding you back from your shot, I'd be looking to draft good trade chits. Some serious rebuilder in your league probably has a hard-on for Rask.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Ace

Do you have a coin handy? It might help with your choice.
    Member of OCHA

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Rask has the advantage in situation (Bruins are a lot more polished than Kings at least for now), experience and he's also quite a bit bigger than Bernier. 6'3 vs 5'11 according to NHL.com.

Talentwise I guess one could make an argument both ways, but Rask has certainly proven he's capable of being not only an NHL-tender but the absolute best goalie in the business. Just take a look of his 09-10 stats for a reminder. Bernier has yet to prove that he can post numbers that are even in the same ballpark.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'll go as straight forward with this as possible....the position of Goaltender is heavily, heavily mentally based...Rask is a complete head case. Neither will likely start next season, but Bernier I feel is the better bet to be an elite NHL goaltender than a loose cannon like Rask. I own Quick and Bernier myself and I would not trade either Quick or Bernier for Rask even if Thomas retired over the summer (which obviously won't happen) as I think they both will be better than Rask...not because I own the guys, but because Rask is a head case and at a position so heavily dependent on Mental fitness that's not a smart move in my book. Go with Bernier.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

^^^ self justification. What makes you say Rask is such a headcase?

Having said that they're virtually even and both will get a few more games next season. I like the Bruins long term over the Kings so I'll take Rask by a hair.
    PTKL - '18 and '19 Back to Back League Champion!
    12 team league, 20 players per team
    Count top 9 F, 4 D, 1 G
    Points only for F and D
    G Stats: W = 1, SO = 1, Saves (0.04 per save), Goals Against (-0.2 per goal), G and A also count

F: Barkov, Bergeron, Dadonov, Getzlaf, Hertl, Marchand, Olofsson, Pacioretty, Pavelski, Radulov, Stone, Wheeler, Zuccarello
    D: Krug, Letang, Petry, Rielly, Weber
    G: Fleury, Price

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by beatnik_uwo View Post
    ^^^ self justification. What makes you say Rask is such a headcase?

Having said that they're virtually even and both will get a few more games next season. I like the Bruins long term over the Kings so I'll take Rask by a hair.
    Why is he a head case?...the infamous Stick smashing/Milk crate throwing meltdown? The recent Seidenberg/Kampher incident in late march this year where he got partially screened for a goal against and then spent literally the next 5 minutes continuing to talk shit to his own defensemen/teammates. That's why I call him a headcase.
    Last edited by MT319; May 5, 2011 at 4:22 PM.

Dobber Sports Legend

MT,

Patrick Roy, Jacques Plante, Terry Sawchuk, Gerry Cheevers, Billy Smith, Ron Hextall and Miikka Kiprusoff (to an extent) are/were all head cases - and some of the best netminders of their eras. I think Rask and Bernier are both damn good goalies and are each poised for stardom. If I had to choose, I would go with Rask - only because I think he gets the starting reigns sooner. Patrick Roy was completely out of his mind.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Genius

None of those goalies other than Kipper and Roy played in the present era they played at a time when 8 goals in a game was a common occurrence and a wrist shot from outside the blueline was a legitimate scoring opportunity. Kipper is a bit of a stretch to call a headcase, but Roy I agree so that's one guy in the present era that was a headcase and successful. If Brodeur were a headcase rather than able to consistently keep his focus/emotions in check and maintain his composure I guarantee you he wouldn't have been half as successful as he was so while I obviously don't knock anyone for going the Rask route, they're both talented enough and on strong enough clubs for the future thati'd rather go for the guy who's got the more stable head on his shoulders so that's the advice I give from my end.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm going to go with Rask just because he and Quick are both on my team I think it's close, but Thomas seems to have the Prospal thing going on and I do think Quick is only going to get better.

Didn't I read somewhere that Goldman like's Rask because of his mental toughness?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MT319 View Post
    None of those goalies other than Kipper and Roy played in the present era they played at a time when 8 goals in a game was a common occurrence and a wrist shot from outside the blueline was a legitimate scoring opportunity.
    afraid you need to do a little research, son...