Thread: Tight salary caped team: keep them all?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Tight salary caped team: keep them all?

Hey freinds!

My team is imo an allstar-go-for-the-cup-topgun-crew... But we have salary cap (65m). 8 teams.

Keepers are
    Crosby 9M
    Malkin 9M
    Perry 5.2M
    P. Kane 0.9 M
    Weber 4.5
    Letang 0.7
    Byfuglien 3
    McBain .9
    Fleury 3.5
    Rinne 2,4
    Quick 1

Problem is i still need to draft 7F and 2D. Meaning i will have less than 3M per player left!

Do i keep them all? Trade Malkin?

Thanks.. Rep for answers!
    The puck stops here!
    8 teams, Points only, 2 pts goalie win (+2 for blank)
    The best 12F -- 6D -- 2G count.
    Real salary (not cap hit), 65M salary cap

Dobber Sports Padawan

This is a great corp for sure. I suggest keeping them all as $3M per player is actually really good IMO. You have your corp players so I think you can find really good depth/value with that kind of salary.

If you trade Malkin look to get something to this affect (I just aswered a question about trading Crosby in a salary cap league). I'll get you the link...

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...d.php&t=102490

Hope this helps...
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Kane is only getting 0.9 this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Kane is only getting 0.9 this year?
    We have a rule that when you sign a player you can freeze him for a max of three yrs. Like signing a contract!
    The puck stops here!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Ahh sweet deal. I wondered about that.

This is a pretty tough question to answer. A draft in a cap league gets dramatically more complex. Who's available and at what cost, what position are your drafting in, yada, yada. Throw in what you can reasonably expect to get for Malkin to the process.

I think the evaluation of your situation might well be served by JHM's approach to cap leagues where he sets a desirable ratio for production/1M of salary. It will help you place a value on a guy like Malkin.

Not trying to cop out here, I just think the best answer isn't simple and I don't have the details of your league rosters that I would want to muck around in this.

Dobber Sports Ace

i think that 3m per player is correct so you might be able to find some gems that fill the hole for your team
    Member of Comish Dynasty 24 team (since the beginning) (Nordique)
    Member of King Of Hockey League (Columbus)
    Member of Great Dynasty (Colorado)
    Member of United Hockey League (Los Angeles)
    Member of Global Hockey league (since the beginning) (Washington)
    Member of Vnhl (Quebec)

Dobber Sports Wizard

3m per player isn't so bad. You can look for a few really cheap players (under or around 1m) and still be able to draft 9 players at 3m average salary. For example Andrew MacDonald is only 550000 for the next three years. He might get you 30-40 points next year, which would be a great bargain. If you can get a couple of around-a-million dmen, then you can spend more on forwards, since forwards will get you more points, it probably is worth spending more on them.

I wouldn't try to trade Malkin since his value in your situation is especially low: his salary is huge and he is at his lowest career-wise.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Tough call on moving Malkin...you have quite the allstar team. The problem with trading one of your big guns is that they are very hard to replace! Those big guys are expensive, but they put up as many points as two to three guys. If Malkin puts up 120 points next season, you will be kicking yourself and the guy you traded him to will be laughing all the way to the bank! Looking at your roster, their isn't much of an upgrade that really would justify moving Malkin. You will probably be well off going into draft well prepared with a list of affordable yet productive taxi players. Just some food for thought....
    14 Team Keeper PTS, +/-, PIM's *.3 20 Players, 4 Center, 8 Wing, 6 D-men, 2 Goalies, NHL cap hit $91 Million Total

Centers Tavares, Giroux, Draisaitl, Eichel
    Wing Eberle, Kessel, Schenn, Hall, Nichushkin, Stone, B. Ryan, Connolly
    Defence Karlsson, OEL, Shattenkirk, Murphy, Gardiner, Daley
    Goal Lehner, Schneider

Prospects Shinkaruk, Frk, Pulock, Marner, Zacha, Rod, Kapanen, Leblanc, Kristo, McNeill, Noesen, Tuch

Thanks guys. Gave all the rep ihad.

I think i will hang on to Malkin and draft potential breakout players.

Someone offred me Getzlaf+ for Malkin. Might think of it...

Thanks again!
    The puck stops here!

The Magnificent One

id hold malkin in a points only league even with the high cap hit. the thing i might look to consider is shopping fleury. he isnt making all that much but a clear of 3.5mil if you can get a decent goalie replacement and something of a depth forward might be good. or just getting 2 forwards and looking to draft a 3rd goalie.

you have quick and rinne = 2 studs and you only count 2 goalies. now not sure if this is nightly lineups or weekly or whatnot and that would affect this idea. but moving fleury could probably land you 2 really nice pieces.
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Genius

Byfuglein & Weber are your bubble guys. A $4.5M forward should outscore Weber. Byfuglein is actually pretty close (I keep 20 points per million in cap space in mind).

As you work through, you'll be excited to get your fingers on any pieces that are great points/$$$ ratio. Thus, if the first three pieces you bumped into, where all D-men, then the stress to move these two would increase.

Tight salary caps, depending upon the number of players used in a lineup, can even make $0.5M guys valuable. A 25 point guy for $0.5M is a welcome addition to the lineup. His point a week, although not overly sexy, quietly fills out a lineup and sneaks you a point every week. Three of these guys at $1.5M total, gives you two or three points a week and hardly affects the cap.

I like the three tenders. You'll be able to put strong combinations into your lineup every week and will be highly prepared in the event of an injury. Keep an eye to see if their backups come cheap. If you had the backups, you might be more inclined to move one of the starters.

Dobber Sports Stud

Perry/Kane/Letang are steals, obviously the latter two in particular.

I agree with JHM about investigating the market for Weber... if you can trade him for someone more affordable who scores 10-15 fewer points, you'll probably make it back elsewhere. Especially if you don't have positional requirements.
    T.G.