Thread: Halak or Crawford

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default Halak or Crawford

Probably bad timing for biases and all but would you rather have Halak or Crawford going forward?

Cats are W's, SO's & Saves
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Superstar

Haha! I'll say Halak, but I don't really have much to back it other then he's a little more seasoned, and he's signed after this season. Crawford is sure making a name for himself, but we've seen plenty of rookie goalies stumble in their sophomore years. Not saying it'll happen, but its something I'm always a little leary of.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah I'm going with Halak too. Not a knock against Crawford or anything (boy was he amazing in that game, and this year for that matter), but the Hawks just seem pretty fickle with their goaltending and it bothers me a bit.
    If Crawford starts to slip you never know who's going to be in there. I heard this guy Salak is doing pretty well right now, and considering how the Hawks have been a revolving door with regards to goaltending, I'll take the guy who's a little more seasoned like letnry said.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Monster

Halak is stable and no issues with his starting gig. He's a safe route to take. Crawford however, could be the goalie to have here between the 2 when all is said and done. But right now, today - I'd take the less risky option and go with Halak.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Thanks, these are my thoughts too but I got Crawforditis tonight and second guessed my trade offer.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Genius

I can't disagree with what everyone above is saying, and I think that the consensus might be saying Halak because

1-as stated here already, he clearly owns the net in STL, while CHI has seemimgly had a a swinging door of starters, and

2- Halaak is probably a more natural talent, more advanced in his craft.

Although I would also take Halak if I had to choose today, however, I would strongly consider Crawford as a better 2-3 year option IF (and that if is capatalized) CHI would somehow commit to him as goalie of the (at least short term) future.

There are reasons to believe this might happen. First of all, Crawford's contract is wonderfull for a cap strapped team like the Hawks. Secondly, and far more imortantly, I am of the opinion that Crawford has been the CHI's most consistentent 'tender since this generation's ressurgence. He is a fine keeper who didn't really elevate his game (too much) in the post season, but has shown tremendous poise and demonstrated great skill throughout his rookie season. Considering all this, there is no reason to believe the ball won't be his for the for-seeable future.

The blues are an up and coming tam to be sure, but I think they are a couple of years away from achieving what the Hawks have, and would definately be tempted by the better teams starter, fantasy wise.

Just something to chew on...

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    First of all, Crawford's contract is wonderfull for a cap strapped team like the Hawks.
    That could actually be part of the problem. Crawford doesnt yet have a contract for next season as he will be a RFA. As a starter for the majority of the season, he could be looking for Halak/Neimi money and CHI, with over $51 million already tied up in 14 players, may not have a lot of excess money to deal with. I would hope and expect though that he's able to work something out and stick around.
    Last edited by letnry; April 27, 2011 at 2:59 AM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by letnry View Post
    That could actually be part of the problem. Crawford doesnt yet have a contract for next season as he will be a RFA. As a starter for the majority of the season, he could be looking for Halak/Neimi money and CHI, with over $51 million already tied up in 14 players, may not have a not of excess money to deal with. I would hope and expect though that he's able to work something out and stick around.
    I see. I was under the impression that he was still under contract...my bad.

Still, I have to believe that the Hawks must consider themselves contenders, and considering their $$ issues, I'm not sure they could sign a cheaper, at least serviceable option than resigning Crawford. I guess the question then would be, can the Hawks afford to sign a better, more proven keeper like Bryz or someone of with that type of pedigree.

Crawford certainly didn't hang himself with all the rope he was given (actually took from Turco) and put himself in a great position to be a great option for the Hawks going forward. If that plays out, I feel that considering the strength of his team and his potential, he will be a fine fantasy option while he holds that post.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by letnry View Post
    That could actually be part of the problem. Crawford doesnt yet have a contract for next season as he will be a RFA. As a starter for the majority of the season, he could be looking for Halak/Neimi money and CHI, with over $51 million already tied up in 14 players, may not have a lot of excess money to deal with. I would hope and expect though that he's able to work something out and stick around.
    I would hope Crawford would learn from Niemi last summer and not ask for anything beyond a team-friendly cap hit.
    F: P. Kane, Oshie, N. Foligno, Thorton, Coyle, Marleau, Pavelski, Dubinsky
    Steen
    D: seabrooke, Subban,wizniewski,garrison, Carle
    G: Niemi, Fleury,

G/A-1 pt PIM- .25pts
    Win-2pts Shutouts- 5pts(2+3)
    Keep 10. Top 13 count (4 d, 1 g, 6 Frwd and next highest-any position)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ovi42 View Post
    I would hope Crawford would learn from Niemi last summer and not ask for anything beyond a team-friendly cap hit.
    I Concur.
    They can structure it so he gets a suttle increase each year 1.2M$ in 11, 1.7M$ in 12, 2.5 in 13. Then when they have more freedom in their budget he can start hittin 3 and up! He still has to prove himself!!!
    24 Team Dynasty, H2H , NHL Salaries & Cap 94M$.
    3C , 3R , 3L, 4D, 1SKT, 2G , 4B , 5Farm
    G,A,SPT,HT,BLK,SHOTS,FOW... W,SV,SV%,GAA

C: E.Kuznetsov. B.Neilson, B.Hayton
    LW: J.Huberdeau, J.Kyrou, D.Heinen
    RW: J.Virtanen, V.Hinostraza, E.Tolvanen
    D: C.Makar, T.Chabot, M.Dumba, M.Matheson,
    SKT:C.Sissons
    G: B.Bishop, A.Raanta
    B: A.Anisimov, C.Fischer, T.Pitlick, A.Martinez, N.Zaitsev
    Farm: V.Kravtsov, J.Gauthier, R.Lavoie, I.Konovalov, M.Berdin

2021 picks: 2/1'st , 3/2nd's

Dobber Sports Giant

halak by far.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ovi42 View Post
    One could argue that it turned out fairly well for Niemi. A larger contract, longer term, on a team that is still in the playoffs.

But regardless, I hope and would expect Chicago signs him, just saying its not a foregone conclusion.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by 5hole View Post
    I Concur.
    They can structure it so he gets a suttle increase each year 1.2M$ in 11, 1.7M$ in 12, 2.5 in 13.
    The cap hit remains the same every year of the contract though, so how they decide to pay it out won't effect their cap situation. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with though. Not having a long cup run probably helps their negotiations some.

The Great One

Lots of good points already raised in the thread, most notably the fact that St. Louis really has no other near term viable options in net - it's 100% Halak's job, and in today's NHL that goes a long way in determining a goalie's value.

But another key is that it is now clear that Halak played a good part of the season with a nagging hand injury, not to mention with a good chunk of the St. Louis talent being out of the line-up. When he was healthy and there was a decent line-up playing for St. Louis, he performed every bit like a top 10 goalie, if not top 5.

I only see St. Louis getting better, so that bodes very well for Halak, who should be fine to carry a big load next season.