Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Schneider to the Jets?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    Disagree on the asking price Deaner. The market for goaltenders is so watered down.
    Halak went for Eller + D prospect, Lehtonen went to Dallas for Vishnevsky + pick, Roloson to TB for Wishart, Montoya for a pick all in the past year.

The Canucks would be lucky to get a prospect of Boedker's calibre for Schneider based on the market. I think the more likely scenario would be something involving a combination (2) of MacLean, Goncharov, Korpikoski, pick, etc.
    I think the difference between Schneider, Halak, and Lehtonen is...

Halak - RFA, refused to re-sign in Montreal, so they had limited options.

Lehtonen - Was turning into a DiPietro clone... Hugely skilled, injury prone guy. Has had over a season of being healthy now, it looks like that played out very well.

Schneider - Has 1 more year at his entry level contract, which is (correct me if I'm wrong) 800k.

Something like that is gold to teams... Both to teams like Philly that are hard pressed against the cap, and also teams that simply don't have the cash to sign high priced players.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Brady19 View Post
    I think the difference between Schneider, Halak, and Lehtonen is...

Halak - RFA, refused to re-sign in Montreal, so they had limited options.

Lehtonen - Was turning into a DiPietro clone... Hugely skilled, injury prone guy. Has had over a season of being healthy now, it looks like that played out very well.

Schneider - Has 1 more year at his entry level contract, which is (correct me if I'm wrong) 800k.

Something like that is gold to teams... Both to teams like Philly that are hard pressed against the cap, and also teams that simply don't have the cash to sign high priced players.
    Schneider has one more year left on an extension he signed last summer. He'll be making 900k then he'll be an RFA at the end of next season.

Very interesting point you brought up though. Philly has a lot of offensive depth. Now i'm not sure how GM's think, its all still pretty new to me but it makes you wonder if the Flyers might be interested in Schneider. It would be a good trade for Vancouver because it would be out of the conference, and it would be good for Philly because they could get a relatively cheap goaltender short term and Schneider likely won't fetch too much for an extension.

However then you throw in the fact that they've got Bobrovsky right now, but as Flyer Fan pointed out in another thread the Flyers have struggled to try to find that franchise goalie through the draft. Maybe this is a move they may be interested in? Curious to hear other's thoughts.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!