Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Weber? Another 6 months

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Weber? Another 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    I guess I don't understand. Can you elaborate please?
    Well i can't speak for him, but i think he's saying Weber has played injured before which lowers his effectiveness. So games missed don't equal injuries.

Malkin misses games all the time in the final 2 weeks of the season when the Penguins have all but locked up a playoff spot.

So Weber has only missed 4 games, but how many of the 78games was he playing hurt? And, as he gets older, does the same injury start pulling him from games he used to be able to play in.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Well i can't speak for him, but i think he's saying Weber has played injured before which lowers his effectiveness. So games missed don't equal injuries.

Malkin misses games all the time in the final 2 weeks of the season when the Penguins have all but locked up a playoff spot.

So Weber has only missed 4 games, but how many of the 78games was he playing hurt? And, as he gets older, does the same injury start pulling him from games he used to be able to play in.
    Ok. I understand that but, i'm quite sure that most if not every player in the league plays through injuries and not many are as big as Weber, so unless teams start to reveal how many games players play injured through, then for the sake of injuries, all we have to go by is games officially missed. Also, lets face it, there are certain injuries that no player can play through.

During Lidstroms 20 year career, he missed more than 4 games only twice. This is a player that played on one of the greatest teams his whole career and despite his team clinching playoff spots earlier than most, didn't miss very many games and played until he was 42.

So through all this, there are many, if not all, of players who have played through injuries and have played until they were 40 and personally, I beleive Weber could definitely achieve this as well.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Ok. I understand that but, i'm quite sure that most if not every player in the league plays through injuries and not many are as big as Weber, so unless teams start to reveal how many games players play injured through, then for the sake of injuries, all we have to go by is games officially missed. Also, lets face it, there are certain injuries that no player can play through.

During Lidstroms 20 year career, he missed more than 4 games only twice. This is a player that played on one of the greatest teams his whole career and despite his team clinching playoff spots earlier than most, didn't miss very many games and played until he was 42.

So through all this, there are many, if not all, of players who have played through injuries and have played until they were 40 and personally, I beleive Weber could definitely achieve this as well.
    The huge difference between the two is their playing style. Lidstrom was not a physical player at all whereas Weber most definitely is. Lidstrom was also an amazing skater whereas Weber isn't.

Dobber Sports Titan

As I agree with you players play through injuries constantly. But injuries throughout a career add up to slowing down, we all suffer this as humans. And pushing ourselves while injured makes it worse. Weber has been tough as nails and his history of injuries is apparent.

In 2005 he injured his left knee in the WHL
    Dislocated kneecap in 2007
    "Injured his leg" in 2008 and missed 11 games
    Subluxed kneecap during Game Two of the Nashville Predators playoff series against the Chicago Blackhawks in 2015
    Didn't he play the whole season hurt in 2016-17?
    The tendon thing in his foot in 2017-18
    Now the knee this offseason.

I don't know his future. But I think the constant abuse to his legs could very well slow him down a ton. But will he retire soon because of it? I highly doubt it.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    The huge difference between the two is their playing style. Lidstrom was not a physical player at all whereas Weber most definitely is. Lidstrom was also an amazing skater whereas Weber isn't.

I don't know his future. But I think the constant abuse to his legs could very well slow him down a ton. But will he retire soon because of it? I highly doubt it.
    Time will tell.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

To be fair, Weber was never exactly a great skater.

He'll always have that bomb, though.

Edit: Should also mention that people have been seeing that six month timeline and understandably getting a little freaked out. But the same injury could have been repaired with a 6-week timeline and this is something that happens quite a bit. It's about the future of the athlete - do you scrape the meniscus, get him game-ready quicker but force him to compete with a deteriorated knee? Or do you go the long-term route, repair the problem but give him a multi-month timetable? Personally, I'm glad they went this route as it will be better for his long-term health/durability.

I read so many comments on how Weber's mobility is deteriorating and he's gonna suck in a couple years but they seem to ignore who he is as a player. He's the type of guy who should still be very useful late into his 30s - just needs a modern LHD to play with. Not many D can score 20 goals like Weber can and he's an absolute pain in the ass for net-front guys to deal with.

I don't get why so many people still expect Weber to go end-to-end and pull figure 8s in the offensive zone. He's not that guy and never has been

Dobber Sports Padawan

Just an update for y'all.

https://www.tsn.ca/habs-weber-not-cl...-yet-1.1212231

It sounds like he's in that week to week window and waiting to be cleared for contact.

1-3 weeks?
    NHL 16 Team, Keeper - Keep 22 / 44 (11 NHLers, 11 Prospects)
    NHL 15 Team, Dynasty
    NHL 10 Team, One Year
    NHL 8 Team, Cap League
    NFL 12 Team, 0.5 PPR
    NFL 10 Team, Standard Non PPR
    NFL 8 Team, 0.5 PPR
    MLB 10 Team, Roto

Dobber Sports Titan

Dobber Sports Guru

Funniest stat I saw was last week. Subban has more points with Nashville (111) than Weber has games with Montreal (104).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Funniest stat I saw was last week. Subban has more points with Nashville (111) than Weber has games with Montreal (104).
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by evans334 View Post
    Same number of cups if you wanna feel better?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Same number of cups if you wanna feel better?
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster