Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Price Signs 217mill 7yrs with....

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Price Signs 217mill 7yrs with....

Boston Red Sox.

Well, the big thing is in 2-3yrs, that team could very terrible with all the downswing players.

But this was the worse outcome for a Jays fan. Great fan for everyone outside of the division
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Price Signs 217mill 7yrs with....

Gross. $31M per year and to the Red Sox makes it worse.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Woof! The only winners in that one are Price and his agent.

As for the rest of us outside of New England the likely wailing and gnashing of teeth from Sox fans in the near future, when this blows up in the team's face, will offset all the irritating smugness of Pats fans.

Dobber Sports Stud

Too much money and poor choice of teams. Clearly winning long term wasn't his main focus.
    Staff Writer for DobberHockey
    Associate Editor/Senior Writer and Scout for DobberProspects - Vancouver Canucks

Keep on, keepin' on.

Banned

Lol at the red Sox being terrible down the road. Do people realize they're stacked with young talent? Insane outfield depth especially. I'm not a huge price fan because of his playoff numbers but at least he'll help get them there.

Saying winning long term isn't his focus is kind of short sighted lol. Boston has an extremely bright future and is two seasons removed from a world series. This team can rake and defend with the best of them. They just needed pitching and have killed it with Price and Kimbrel. People should be scared if Hanley and Sandoval lose weight even thought the barely need those guys.

Dobber Sports Monster

Too much money. This deal can look really really bad in a couple years if his career starts to go south or if he blows out his arm. Very risky. Glad Toronto didn't pay him that though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StuntMan12 View Post
    Too much money. This deal can look really really bad in a couple years if his career starts to go south or if he blows out his arm. Very risky. Glad Toronto didn't pay him that though.
    Its baseball, money is irrelevant for the teams who have money

Dobber Sports Ninja

As a fan, I'm disappointed that Rogers didn't shell out the big $$$ to retain him.

As a business person, I think it was probably the wise move to let him go. That money is probably better spent solidifying the team elsewhere and setting it up for more sustainable long-term success.

All in all, I was never a huge fan of Price personally, and his choke in the playoffs lessens the sting of seeing him walk.

I bet Price will become the Joe Thornton of baseball haha...

Dobber Sports Monster

Price will average almost $85,000 before tax per day (365 days). Happy for him though, he's living the life and playing a sport he loves.

Dobber Sports Deity

Well, at least the Red Sox have a chance to win every fifth day. After Price, their rotation is still shakey.

I do think it was more than the Jays should have spent, so while I hate seeing him leave (especially to a division rival) it was the right choice. Just too much money for one starting pitcher.

As Big Ev stated, the Sox have the money so it makes it easier for them to overspend and chew on it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

A rotation of Buchholz, Porcello, Miley, Price and whatever slump they use as a 5th is not a winning rotation unless the offense kicks in massively.
    DH-Papi. Great player, but he couldn’t hit anything at the beginning of last yr. Does age catch up and that slump goes all year, or does he hit like he did in the back half all year?
    1B-Ramirez. Oh geez. Another positional experiment with their albatross contract player No1. He can’t play OF, he can’t play SS, maybe 1B is where he’ll finish his career.
    2B-Pedroia. In half a year he was pretty productive, but he is getting up there (32/33 next season) when it comes to a 2B age. Hopefully age doesn’t slow him down
    SS-Boegaerts. I actually really like him. He’ll be a solid SS. His D is there already, and he’ll prolly make a jump in offense.
    3B-The panda. What a mess that’s been. He just seemed disinterested tho. Maybe a “go for it season” is what he needs to straighten his mind. If not, util man Holt is pretty decent.
    C-Hanigan/Swihart. I don’t know too much about them. Can’t comment.
    OF-Castillo, Bradley Jr, Betts. Solid defensively, and maybe JBR can turn the corner and make a big offensive jump. D is great. Offense should develop.
    BP-Kimbrel, then meh in my eyes. it needs work still. I can see BRS going for another big arm or two in FA.

Prospects
    3B for the future should be covered with Devers (3rd best 3B prospect). Benintendi (OF) is another top prospect. Then after that it gets into wildcards. Every team has surprises tho. Osuna wasn’t on anyone’s radar and look at what he is now.

I still think Toronto is above BRS in the power rankings on the ALEast. But it’s become a 2 horse race of Toronto vs. Boston. Especially if NYY start trading their older guys like reports have suggested

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Happy for Price, he seems like a great teammate!! But he doesn't seem to be the pitcher he once was, this contract is too long and for way too much cake..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Titan

The best part of an Ace pitcher is being able to have the bases loaded, 0 outs, and be able to get out of it without a run. Like price did early in his Jays career.

The worse part of an ace is you pay him to do that every game. This is a “now” signing. If you look at the contract, and the players age, this is a now contract. His stuff is going to drop off in 2-3yrs, and then they’ll be stuck with him for 4-5yrs. The best part of the deal is the breakdown in my eyes:
    2016-2018: 30mill/yr. After the 3rd year there’s a player option. What 33yr old pitcher is going to opt out of 127mill? No one.
    2019: 31mill
    2020-2022: 32mill.

Only reason why they have that opt out is for Price if he doesn’t like the team, and if he has a great yr in 2018. I can see no one who will opt out of that contract.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    A rotation of Buchholz, Porcello, Miley, Price and whatever slump they use as a 5th is not a winning rotation unless the offense kicks in massively.
    DH-Papi. Great player, but he couldn’t hit anything at the beginning of last yr. Does age catch up and that slump goes all year, or does he hit like he did in the back half all year?
    1B-Ramirez. Oh geez. Another positional experiment with their albatross contract player No1. He can’t play OF, he can’t play SS, maybe 1B is where he’ll finish his career.
    2B-Pedroia. In half a year he was pretty productive, but he is getting up there (32/33 next season) when it comes to a 2B age. Hopefully age doesn’t slow him down
    SS-Boegaerts. I actually really like him. He’ll be a solid SS. His D is there already, and he’ll prolly make a jump in offense.
    3B-The panda. What a mess that’s been. He just seemed disinterested tho. Maybe a “go for it season” is what he needs to straighten his mind. If not, util man Holt is pretty decent.
    C-Hanigan/Swihart. I don’t know too much about them. Can’t comment.
    OF-Castillo, Bradley Jr, Betts. Solid defensively, and maybe JBR can turn the corner and make a big offensive jump. D is great. Offense should develop.
    BP-Kimbrel, then meh in my eyes. it needs work still. I can see BRS going for another big arm or two in FA.

Prospects
    3B for the future should be covered with Devers (3rd best 3B prospect). Benintendi (OF) is another top prospect. Then after that it gets into wildcards. Every team has surprises tho. Osuna wasn’t on anyone’s radar and look at what he is now.

I still think Toronto is above BRS in the power rankings on the ALEast. But it’s become a 2 horse race of Toronto vs. Boston. Especially if NYY start trading their older guys like reports have suggested
    JBJ already turned the corner offensively. Even if he didn't, he just needs to hit like .240-.250 to be worth starting him everyday. He's probably the best or top 3 at least defensive outfielders in baseball.

Anderson Espinoza is a pitching stud in the making. Watch out for him very very soon.

The Sox rotation was excellent in the final two months or so as was the team on the whole. They hope this will continue. IMO Buchholz is a very solid #2 and he can be an ace when he is truly on. Rick Porcello had a down year but we know the calibre of pitcher he is.

Swihart was impressive as a rookie catcher but they also have Christian Vasquez who was their #1 before getting hurt.

don't forget Travis Shaw who was excellent at 1B last year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Happy for Price, he seems like a great teammate!! But he doesn't seem to be the pitcher he once was, this contract is too long and for way too much cake..
    really? Sounds like a bitter Jays fan to me...